Origin of the Universe

dalehileman

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 11:18 am
@Smileyrius,
Thanks to Fil and Smi for their infinite patience
Quote:
So if the universe existed for an infinite amount of time before now, then all areas in the universe would be equally warm
Would this be true if the expansion of space dust eventually reverses in such a way as to compact a new one

Quote:
sorry for any inaccuracies in my rudimentary understanding
Me too

Quote:
Finite is that which is countable, measurable, rational
Yes Fil I understand that. I was asking what it was that you had so labeled
abwishman

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 06:11 pm
@dalehileman,
I'd say natural things have a beginning and eventually an end.
To your second, good point, but why do you doubt the universe being infinite if we have found no clues for the end of our universe?
abwishman

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 06:15 pm
@Setanta,
Why wouldn't God be a possible/reasonable explanation if we live in an infinite or finite universe?
Setanta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 02:06 am
@abwishman,
A god is not logically necessary. In the early 14th century, William of Ockham wrote: entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem--entities (meaning causes) are not to be multiplied beyond necessity. (The idea was not original to him.) The introduction of a supernatural agent in the description of any process is also the introduction of an unnecessary cause. Without knowing what you mean by god, it would be impossible for me to comment further. But if you mean anyone or anything supernatural, then "Occam's Razor," as it is called, applies. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm actually not interested in what you mean by god.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 11:17 am
@abwishman,
Quote:
why do you doubt the universe being infinite
There's a general rule (see #....864 above) that the simpler theory is almost always the right one. Besides infinity entails a whole lot of absurdities. Like, an infinite number of Abs chatting at this instant with an infinite number of Dales; everything the same except an occasional loss of the comma after "Like"
vansdad

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 12:44 am
@fresco,
People do not "create" God. God touches peoples' hearts and minds and they realize on a personal level He exists.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 05:08 am
@vansdad,
vansdad wrote:

People do not "create" God. God touches peoples' hearts and minds and they realize on a personal level He exists.
and the moon is made of blue cheese.
Setanta

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 05:17 am
Green . . . green cheese. How can you expect to be taken seriously when you make such basic errors.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 07:52 am
@rosborne979,
Unless you reject an external reality at large the sense that there is something bigger then yourself grants him half a point. I call it BEING, Reality beyond spacetime, some others prefer the antropomorphise version. But that's a matter folk lore as usual.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 08:04 am
@vansdad,
Quote:
People do not "create" God.

Many theologians now feel that that is exactly what people do. Check out the Sea of Faith movement which has many priests from different religions among its members.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 08:22 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Yes the antropomorphised God is a human creation but the roots of the abstract concept are not...do you understand ? Hopefully you just might...
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 10:39 am
@abwishman,
How can it be explained - PERIOD?
Anything other than witnessing it firsthand (Assuming it has an origin) ('Origin' requires temporal construct) is based on 'hearsay'.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 11:14 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Green . . . green cheese
It's orange, powdered, and you shake it
rosborne979

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 06:48 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Green . . . green cheese. How can you expect to be taken seriously when you make such basic errors.

Blue Cheese. It's Blue Cheese isn't it? Why would anyone want to go there if it was Green Cheese. Yuck.
http://www.igourmet.com/images/topics/bluecheese4.jpg
vansdad

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 01:24 am
@rosborne979,
Blue cheese? really? and you consider this a serious reply? no wonder these conversations go nowhere
Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 02:38 am
@vansdad,
Quote:
Blue cheese? really? and you consider this a serious reply?

"The Moon is made of green cheese" is a statement referring to a fanciful belief ... in fable, this refers to the perception of a simpleton ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_is_made_of_green_cheese
Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 02:46 am
@vansdad,
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 05:30 am
@vansdad,
vansdad wrote:

Blue cheese? really? and you consider this a serious reply? no wonder these conversations go nowhere

I could have just said Bullshit I guess. But it amounts to the same thing.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 05:32 am
@Miss L Toad,
Green cheese huh. I didn't know that. I always thought the old phrase was blue cheese. Thanks. I'll have to update my neurons.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 08:13 am
@dalehileman,
You 'attention-seeking' pillock.