@Miss L Toad,
I can see that a real conversation is not going to happen
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 08:28 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Smiley Quote:
"So if the universe existed for an infinite amount of time before now, then all areas in the universe would be equally warm"

Would this be true if the expansion of space dust eventually reverses in such a way as to compact a new one
Scientists really wanted this to be the case since it would explain away the 'beginning' problem. But unfortunately they found that the expansion is not only NOT slowing down, it is accelerating. The cause is an even more mysterious 'Dark Energy'.

So No, there is no Bang - Crunch - Bang - Crunch happening. The universe appears to be a One-Shot event.
mark noble

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 08:40 am
@Leadfoot,
WTF is a 'one-shot' event?
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 08:48 am
@mark noble,
Something that happens only once.
mark noble

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 09:09 am
@Leadfoot,
Like?
Smileyrius

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 09:20 am
@mark noble,
Leicester City winning the Premier league
mark noble

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 09:31 am
@Smileyrius,
Was unexpected, but who's to say it wont be repeated?
'Swans' replicated leicester's 2015 'out of relegation - into mid-table prog.
Reckon them next season...?
Smileyrius

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 09:58 am
@mark noble,
Actually given a good run, swans have a good core of players, I think they're a Wilfred bony away from being a strong mid table team again. Leicester have every chance of finishing top four again next season if they hold onto Kante or replace him sensibly. I used the example more light heartedly than anything. It's been a great year of football (today aside)
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 10:00 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
Like?
Like your mother giving birth to you.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 11:17 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
The universe appears to be a One-Shot event
Agreed Foot it certainly does appear to be. Yet there's something intellectually unsatisfying about it as a 1-time event
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 11:29 am
@vansdad,
I did not say 'people create God'. I explained that humans use concepts like 'creation' and 'God' to attempt to account for thir experience of prediction and control of what they see as 'the world''. Your vested interest in 'the Big Controller' uses the concepts 'touch', 'God', 'mind' and 'existence' in a typical conjunction familiar to 'believers'. Without the assumption of religious context in which 'The Big Controller does the touching', the interplay of those concepts would be meaningless. Read Wittgenstein on 'language games' (and he was a believer ! Smile )
0 Replies

abwishman

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 03:56 pm
@Setanta,
I can see and understand you have no intention of learning about God, but to clarify, I mean God as a creator of all things who is sovereign.(As I stated in my original question) Anyway, how do you suppose the world came to be? I figure that as we cannot know how it came to be that a supernatural force would be a logical conclusion.
abwishman

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 03:57 pm
@mark noble,
I'd assume it has an origin? Does not every natural thing have an origin?
abwishman

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 04:06 pm
@dalehileman,
That would be assuming there is an infinite number of dimensions or life in different worlds. By infinite I mean space within our universe. Also, from before...
Quote:
If infinite, which I doubt, of course you'd always find life somewhere
How could you assume life would be found other places if life does not just randomly develop or happen?
rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 04:18 pm
@abwishman,
Occam's Razor aside, Magic still doesn't seem to be a very logical conclusion.
abwishman

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 04:26 pm
@rosborne979,
Fair assumption but what proof do you have for this claim that the supernatural is not responsible for the creation of the universe we live in?
dalehileman

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 05:06 pm
@abwishman,
Quote:
.... you'd always find life somewhere

Quote:
How could you assume life would be found other places if life does not just randomly develop or happen?
Ab, I don't understand the q. In fact it seems that life is a somewhat random event. However the Universe is so big and there are so many inhabitable planets that there's bound to be life developing on millions if not billions of 'em
dalehileman

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 05:10 pm
@mark noble,
Mark what's a pillock
abwishman

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 05:25 pm
@dalehileman,
How is life a random event and how can something come from nothing? I apologize for not being clear but that is what I am getting at.