How can one who believes in no God have true morals?

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 04:40 pm
@Leadfoot,
I was responding to your post in which you attempt to differentiate between chimps and humans in regard to cannibalism.

Humans engage, or have engaged, in cannibalism for various reasons.
0 Replies

braydenvaness

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 06:25 pm
@neologist,
Exactly, man can not himself say what is right or wrong, there is a higher standard in which morality is based, That being a higher power.
0 Replies

braydenvaness

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 06:33 pm
@rosborne979,
So you are saying that if a thief believes that stealing is okay that that is okay because it is what his conscience tells him?
braydenvaness

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 06:37 pm
@kency123,
If you ask me there seems to be a lot of crime going on today, so what makes you say this species dies off? Also without a higher standard to live by and base our morals upon, what would stop a thief from steeling? IF it is what his concuss tells him shouldn't that be okay then?
braydenvaness

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 07:07 pm
@braydenvaness,
Man is imperfect as you said, so how is it possible for an imperfect society to decide what is right or wrong? There must be a perfect power in which we base our morals upon. I am sure you would agree that all men although impossible strive for moral perfection, but without the existence of a perfect power, what is moral perfection?
rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 07:25 pm
@braydenvaness,
braydenvaness wrote:
So you are saying that if a thief believes that stealing is okay that that is okay because it is what his conscience tells him?

It's certainly ok to him. But it's probably not ok to the person he stole from. And it's probably not ok to the society he lives in.

You keep thinking that there's some objective universal "OK" which we can measure against, but there isn't.

You can pick one if you want, like one of the many concepts of God which exist today. But you are still just picking one. It's an arbitrary choice.
kency123

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 04:22 am
@braydenvaness,
Quote:
there seems to be a lot of crime going on today, so what makes you say this species dies off?

The fact that the crimes you're talking about are seen so unacceptable to be punished - even executed for- tells you something. Why bother? Because it's written that way? Or because it damages society?

Hypothetical situation; imagine tomorrow theft, violence, murder become GOOD morals. Civilization would die out pretty quickly, right? The species itself could potentially die out (over 100s or 1000s of years) because we can't work together to get food, build shelter, reproduce, or protect our children.

Go back 100,000 years and this would already have happened to our ancestors.
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 09:35 pm
@Setanta,
it is, of course, a case of putting the cart and the horse to work being considered each of them as important as the other to have the convenient way of trasportation needed....it´s what have remained in my culture of the ancient cult of celtiberos who saw the earth as the mother of live.... yes, i was giving a spiritual version of the evolution theory, as opposition to the analitical view of the scientist radical followers and the fanatic religious zombiest
that said, life as we know it exists because of all of the factors you have listed.... we wouldn´t survive in mars purely cause all the factors we have adapted to, would be different and that´s all.
about cinderella zone, i know nothing about it but being born in a sea cost city i can tell how important sea movement and changes are and those are known to be influenced by our moon gravity forces and rotation cycles... so .... i wouldn´t be that ashamed
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 10:01 pm
@braydenvaness,
by perfect power and moral perfection you mean a god that punished humanity for the mistakes that were bound to be committed given the nature of men created by that perfect power itself?
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 29 May, 2016 08:21 am
@momoends,
Quote:
by perfect power and moral perfection you mean a god that punished humanity for the mistakes that were bound to be committed given the nature of men created by that perfect power itself?
I agree with the point you are trying to make, but I don't think honest mistakes are things that we will be judged on. Those mistakes were fully anticipated and expected by God. It is how we handle and respond to those mistakes that matter.
momoends

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 08:01 pm
@Leadfoot,
You lost me there, define honest mistakes
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 07:13 am
@momoends,
Honest mistake: Doing something you genuinely believe to be right but turns out to be wrong.

I'm sure you can think of examples.
momoends

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 08:00 am
@Leadfoot,
Yep! Being a lesbian
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 08:26 am
@momoends,
If being a lesbian turns out to be wrong. I don't know that it is so it may not be an example.
momoends

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 09:41 am
@Leadfoot,
According to christians it is sooooo wrong (i do apologize: i enjoy how that word makes all radicals religious fanatic lose their composture)
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 05:20 pm
@momoends,
No appologies necessary. I'm equally guilty of needling the religious when I think it might do them some good.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 05:42 pm
@rosborne979,
Robin Hood comes to mind.
How many still think he done good?
0 Replies