How can one who believes in no God have true morals?

chai2

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 04:37 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I'm sure there were plenty of religious Serbs who refused to participate in the genocide. Probably also plenty of moral atheist Serbs who refused to participate.

And a lot of religious Serbs who did participate.
Setanta

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 04:40 pm
@chai2,
He doesn't want to hear that, or to admit to it.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 05:49 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Atheists are good people because they want to be. And frankly, so are religious people. Because morally acceptable cultural behavior doesn't come from religion, it comes from a deeper place than that. A more natural place. A less corruptible place. A place we all share, deep in our mammalian bones.

I find rosborne's answers to be about as perfect as I have seen.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 06:16 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You always claim that you deal in facts, and then you offer opinions. Opinions are not facts. You are delusional.

No delusions on my part. What I offer are indeed facts. They are just facts that you find inconvenient.
0 Replies

braydenvaness

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 06:16 pm
@rosborne979,
I am not saying you have to be a christian to have morals, But you believe what causes people to believe what is right or wrong comes from an internal feeling, correct?
oralloy

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 06:17 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
And a lot of religious Serbs who did participate.

Do you have any evidence that the Serbs who carried out the genocide had heartfelt religious views?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 06:18 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
He doesn't want to hear that, or to admit to it.

More like I am highly skeptical. Let's see what evidence backs her claim.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 06:22 pm
@braydenvaness,
braydenvaness wrote:
Through this question i am absolutely not saying that Christians have better morals then atheists, i am just what they base these morals upon?

I would guess that the moral atheists have a strong sense of empathy, and that is what provides their moral compass.

A lot of morality can be summed up with "don't do to others what you wouldn't like done to you".
braydenvaness

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 06:24 pm
@CalamityJane,
I am not saying that Christians have better morals then anyone else, I do not believe in ted Cruz's beliefs(but that is another issue). The question I am asking is how can there be a true realization of what is right or wrong if there is no true standard to live by?
0 Replies

braydenvaness

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 06:25 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
What causes you to believe/say that man moral is natural?
braydenvaness

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 06:28 pm
@oralloy,
How is it possible for any human to have any internal feeling if we came to be through random chance, or the random formation of cells as darwin would state?
oralloy

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 06:46 pm
@braydenvaness,
braydenvaness wrote:
How is it possible for any human to have any internal feeling if we came to be through random chance, or the random formation of cells as darwin would state?

By evolving feelings I guess.

You might need to ask a neurologist or something if you want a scientific explanation of how electrical impulses translate into thought.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 07:35 pm
@braydenvaness,
braydenvaness wrote:
I am not saying you have to be a christian to have morals, But you believe what causes people to believe what is right or wrong comes from an internal feeling, correct?

Basically, Yes.

More specifically, Empathy and Compassion are natural emotions which affect social behavior and underly the intellectual choices of Ethics and Morality.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 08:01 pm
@braydenvaness,
braydenvaness wrote:

What causes you to believe/say that man moral is natural?

One because its necessary for a functional society. Its energy efficient for group productivity. And finally because withstood the test off time. It has been favoured by natural selection. Hope that nails it down for you in a nut shell.
braydenvaness

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 07:34 pm
@oralloy,
But if we were not created by a supernatural God, and were instead created by the random formation of cells, how is it possible to have the sense of internal feeling, no science can prove that there is internal feeling, so how is it possible to have internal feeling if we were created through random scientific chance?
0 Replies

braydenvaness

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 07:35 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I agree with that statement, But how can feelings such as love and morality exist if we were created through the random formation of cells? How is this possible without a supernatural creator?
0 Replies

braydenvaness

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 07:39 pm
@rosborne979,
The question i have then is how can humans attain this internal feeling if we were not created by a supernatural God? How is this possible if we came to existence through random cell formation?
chai2

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 07:49 pm
You know, you can try to attribute this to supernatural forces all you want, but my basic question to you on page 1 still stands, and in connection to your last 3 posts.

Why would you think we would require some supernatural force to have these emotions and internal feelsings etc.?

You keep asking why why why, and and the return question (and answer really) is "why not?"
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 08:17 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Because morally acceptable cultural behavior doesn't come from religion, it comes from a deeper place than that. A more natural place. A less corruptible place. A place we all share, deep in our mammalian bones.
I know you meant that as in 'Evolution done it', but that sounds dangerously theistic :-)
momoends

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 04:02 am
@oralloy,
it almost always seems to be committed by an atheist---- where did you get that info from?!!!
0 Replies