19
   

How can one who believes in no God have true morals?

 
 
braydenvaness
 
  2  
Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 05:23 pm
@oralloy,
Through this question i am absolutely not saying that Christians have better morals then atheists, i am just what they base these morals upon?
braydenvaness
 
  1  
Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 05:25 pm
@rosborne979,
What causes you to believe this?
braydenvaness
 
  2  
Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 05:26 pm
@chai2,
I said this before, I am not saying Christians don't do things wrong and i am absolutely not here to say Christians are perfect, all i am asking is what your morals are based upon?
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 05:32 pm
@braydenvaness,
Leaving aside your inept English, it is not clear to whom your refer when you say: "MANY people . . . believe the earth cam [sic] to be through evolution.' Who are those people? Evolution simply accounts for the diversity of life on this planet, and it is not concerned with the origin of the cosmos, the planet or even the origin of life. Were you home-schooled?
CalamityJane
 
  2  
Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 05:45 pm
@Setanta,
Hahaha...that last question is priceless Very Happy Very Happy
CalamityJane
 
  2  
Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 05:52 pm
@braydenvaness,
Believe it or not, everyone has a sense of what's right or wrong, regardless if they read the bible, are Christians, Atheists or agnostic. Morals and ethics are taught at home and if not there then in school.

Christians believing that they have morals and ethics is a myth. Look, Ted Cruz, who thinks of himself nearer to God than most, has no problem in excluding certain members of society - namely women, minorities and homosexuals. Did he learn this in Sunday bible readings? He thinks he's holier than thou and in reality he's a cheating, lying snake who is out to harm us and society at large. What have you got to say about that?
rosborne979
 
  4  
Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 07:04 pm
@braydenvaness,
braydenvaness wrote:
What causes you to believe this?

Observation and Experience mostly. But also because it makes perfect sense.

Many mammals exhibit empathy and compassion, so these are clearly not derived from religion. And primates, including humans, are highly social creatures which survive better in groups due to ethical and moral behavior, so these things naturally become selectable traits. And the rest is history, as they say.
neologist
 
  2  
Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 08:26 pm
@braydenvaness,
A lot of nominal christians sort of gloss over this; but everyone has a built in standard:
Quote:
Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts. . . (Roans 2:14,15)
0 Replies
 
Smileyrius
 
  3  
Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 01:52 am
@farmerman,
I agree wholeheartedly. What percentage of the mob regularly attend mass?
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 02:07 am
@CalamityJane,
Thanks . . . but i wasn't just being snotty, although that is part of the effort. I find that member's questions to be presumption and very poorly expressed, and to contain implied but unstated premises. So i consider the member to be poorly educated, and likely to have a world view conditioned by religious principle, the inculcation of which was more important than the quality of logic or learning he received. All of which is to say that it smells like home-schooling to me.
0 Replies
 
oralloy
 
  -2  
Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 02:34 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Yeah, right . . . so the crusaders who killed and ate their Turkish prisoners, as reported by their own priests, that was because god had given them a moral compass--or was it because they were secreatly ATHEISTS ? ! ? ! ?

Perhaps they were hungry?


Setanta wrote:
The Bosnia Serbs, ostensibly Orthodox christians, when they slaughtered more than 8000 unarmed men and boys because they were nominally Muslim, is that because they feared their magic sky daddy? Maybe it was because they were actually ATHEIST ! ! !

Yes, I would suspect that the people who conducted that massacre were Atheists. It's not the act of someone who fears that they will face divine judgement for their crimes.
oralloy
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 02:39 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
Look, Ted Cruz, who thinks of himself nearer to God than most, has no problem in excluding certain members of society - namely women, minorities and homosexuals. Did he learn this in Sunday bible readings? He thinks he's holier than thou and in reality he's a cheating, lying snake who is out to harm us and society at large. What have you got to say about that?

His exclusion of women and minorities, and him being a cheating lying snake out to harm anyone, are all false accusations from the Left.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  0  
Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 02:40 am
@oralloy,
You raise self-delusion to the level of an art form--a black art.
oralloy
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 03:27 am
@Setanta,
Facts aren't delusions. People who tend to delight in the suffering of others also tend to be Atheists.
Miss L Toad
 
  3  
Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 03:43 am
@braydenvaness,
Quote:
There are MANY people who believe the earth cam to be through evolution, so i am reaching out to those people. what do you believe concerning how the earth came to be?


I believe the MANY to be comprised of scientists and the ilk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_and_evolution_of_the_Solar_System


0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 04:00 am
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 04:04 am
@oralloy,
You never deal in facts. It is not a fact that the Bosnian Serbs were atheists. It is not a fact that atheists delight in the suffering of others. You are delusional because you can never distinguish between your ultra-rightwing opinions and facts.
oralloy
 
  0  
Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 12:51 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You never deal in facts.

I always deal in facts. People just don't like to hear facts.


Setanta wrote:
It is not a fact that the Bosnian Serbs were atheists.

I think we can credit the genocidal ones with atheism based on their genocidal behavior.

I'm sure there were plenty of religious Serbs who refused to participate in the genocide. Probably also plenty of moral atheist Serbs who refused to participate.


Setanta wrote:
It is not a fact that atheists delight in the suffering of others.

True. There are lots of moral atheists. I said as much in my first post in this thread.


Setanta wrote:
You are delusional because you can never distinguish between your ultra-rightwing opinions and facts.

I have no delusions. I doubt I have any ultra-rightwing opinions, unless we are going to consider love of freedom and civil rights an ultra-rightwing viewpoint. I also don't have any problem distinguishing facts.
Fil Albuquerque
 
  1  
Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 12:57 pm
Very easy answer...
"God" is a more or less useful metaphor at best. An idealized concept for the simple-minded masses. REALITY it is not. Man Moral is NATURAL !
Setanta
 
  2  
Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 03:23 pm
@oralloy,
You always claim that you deal in facts, and then you offer opinions. Opinions are not facts. You are delusional.
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 12/07/2021 at 07:20:54