Things to do in Montréal

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:24 pm
I am going to la Belle Province next week. Apart from going to the Expos-Cubs games, what are some fun things to do in Montréal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,534 • Replies: 29
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:41 pm
Food and jazz!

Montreal is all about marvellous food and a really great jazz culture.
The best bagels, ohmigawd good bagels.
Cheesecake that people travel 8 hours on the train to eat and then come back.
Montreal Smoked Meat is like no other - make sure you order full fat, not lean. Fresh dill pickles. mmmmmmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:53 pm
<sob>

I got so hungry reading the menu at Lester's that I had to go toast a bagel to have with hummous and dill.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:59 pm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 09:03 pm
this should help

http://www.out-there.com/qc12gs.htm

hmmmmmm, cav will know all the best wines and cheeses to try. hamburger knows the bagels and cheeses pretty well.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 09:10 pm
http://www.canada.com/montreal/aroundtown/index.html

there's a slightly wonky, but still useful, entertainment search function there
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:12 am
Thanks ehBeth for the information and the links. You should get a commission from the Montreal Chamber of Commerce!

One other question: the last time I was in Montreal (Spring 2002) a fee was assessed at the airport on passengers leaving the country. I'm not sure what the nature of the fee was -- I presume it was the "don't leave Canada" tax. Anyway, it was a minor hassle paying by credit card, so I'd like to have enough Canadian cash on hand to pay it this time. Do you have any idea how much this fee is?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:00 am
Joe, i can go look at my last airline reservation, but i'm rather surprised, as this was included in the price of my ticket.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:12 am
Well, now i can't find the damned e-mail. You know, the odds are very good that they'll accept U.S. currency--i've spent U.S. dollars in bakeries and restaurants in T.O. You might try contacting Air Canda to ask them about this tax. You might also try contacting the Montréal airport authority. If i get the time to find something over lunch, i'll post it here.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:31 am
joe, are you into the gay scene? Okay, never mind. If you like a really good Belgian crepe, savoury or sweet, I would suggest looking up Ty Breiz. Actually, here it is, but I would stick with the crepes, the rest of the food is quite mediocre. http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2803429-ty_breiz_montreal-i
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:48 am
I thought he wanted to know what he could do there, not what he could/should eat? My bad!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:51 am
Besides eating, drinking, clubbing, screwing and the jazz festival, what else is there to do in Montreal besides sightseeing?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:56 am
I really wouldn't know, I have no desire to go to monteal!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:58 am
Joe, this is from Air Canada's web site for members of their Aeroplan program:

Canajun Aereoplanes and such wrote:

What are the additional charges in my Fare?

Fuel NAV Canada Insurance ATSC Airport Fees

Note: This information is intended as a guideline only for North American destinations. Actual fees, surcharges and taxes are subject to change and some exceptions apply.

Your fare may include NAV CANADA surcharges, Fuel surcharges and Insurance surcharges where applicable. Ticketable Airport Fees and the Air Travellers Security Tax (ATSC) are included in taxes component of your fare.

Fuel Surcharges: *NEW* For travel within Canada, Fuel Surcharge is now included in the base fare. For travel between Canada and the U.S., a fuel surcharge of CA$7.50 / US$4.65 per segment applies. In order to account for the recent surge in world oil prices, Air Canada, along with other Canadian and North American carriers have implemented a fuel surcharge.

NAV Canada: Nav surcharges within Canada are either $6 / $12 / or $17 based on distance. For transborder itineraries, $7.50 (CAD) $4.65 (USD) each way or $15.00 (CAD) or $9.30 (USD) per round-trip ticket. This surcharge is collected to cover the fees that Air Canada pays to NAV Canada to operate Canada's Air Navigation systems.

Insurance Surcharges: In order to account for the rising costs of aviation insurance, Air Canada along with other North American carriers have implemented an insurance surcharge. This insurance surcharge is $3.00 (CAD), each way for travel wholly within Canada. (Some exceptions apply).

Air Travellers Security Tax (ATSC): The Canadian Parliament has enacted an Air Travellers Security Charge (ATSC) to fund security personnel and security equipment in response to the events of September 11. For domestic itineraries, the ATSC tax is $7.00 (CAD) one way or $14.00 (CAD) return. For transborder itineraries, the ATSC tax is $12.00 (CAD) one way or $24.00 (CAD) return. For international itineraries, the ATSC tax is $24.00 (CAD) for each return or one-way trip.

Airport Fees: Many airports in Canada and around the world have implemented Airport Improvement Fees (AIF). Some Airports collect these fees at the airport at time of departure, other's are collected at the time of ticketing and are reflected in the taxes in your fare. Canadian Airports that include the AIF on your ticket are as follows: (All amounts CAD)

Bathurst, NB (ZBF) $12.00
Calgary, AB (YYC) $10.00
Castlegar, BC (YCG) $7.00
Charolettetown, PE (YYG) $15.00
Comox, BC (YQQ) $5.00
Edmonton, AB (YEG) $15.00
Fort St. John, BC (YXJ) $12.00
Fredericton, NB (YFC) $13.00
Gander, NF (YQX) $12.00
Grande Prairie, AB (YQU) $8.00
Halifax, NS (YHZ) $10.00
Hamilton, ON (YHM) $10.00
Kelowna, BC (YLW) $8.00
Lethbridge, AB (YQL) $5.00
London, ON (YXU) $10.00
Montreal, QC (YUL) $15.00
Ottawa, ON (YOW) $15.00
Prince George, BC (YXS) $10.00
Quebec, QC (YQB) $10.00
Regina, SK (YQR) $10.00
Saskatoon, SK (YXE) $5.00
Sault Ste Marie, ON (YAM) $10.00
St. John's, NF (YYT) $10.00
Thompson, MB (YTH) $10.00
Timmins, ON (YTS) $10.00
Toronto, ON (YYZ) $12.00 Originating passengers -- $8.00 Connecting passengers
Vancouver, BC (YVR) $5.00 Travel within BC
$10.00 Rest of North America
$15.00 Outside of North America
Victoria, BC (YYJ) $10.00
Windsor, ON (YQG) $10.00
Winnipeg, MB (YWG) $10.00 For travel until Sept 30, 2004 -- $15.00 for travel after Oct 1, 2004

I also began the process of booking a fare from Chicago-O'Hare to Montréal-Trudeau to see what would be included:

Navcan and Surcharges 38.70
Canada Airport Improvement Fee 17.59
Taxes :
Canada Goods and Services Tax (GST/HST #10009-2287) 1.23
U.S.A Transportation Tax 71.16
U.S. Flight Segment Tax 12.40
U.S Passenger Facility Charge 4.50
Canada Quebec Sales Tax (QST #1000-043-172) 0.92
Canada Security Charge 7.65
September 11 Security Fee 2.50
U.S.A Immigration User Fee 7.00

Please note that most of these fees come from the United States, notably, the Transportation Tax. GST and QST are very small sums, and, i suspect are levied on the airport tax. I suspect the Navcan and Airport Improvement Fees are the costs to which you refer. These have always been included in the fare, whether i fly Air Doughnut, or an American carrier.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:04 am
Well, stand up, I lived there for four years, and things haven't changed much since I was there. I would go so far as to say that things haven't changed much since Expo '67, except there are a few more good restaurants, and more bikers. Montreal is actually a great city to visit as a young one. Most people do speak English, even if they pretend not to. Love that MAD magazine quote. Smile

My comments on the aftermath of Expo '67 on the economy of Montreal should be taken as second-hand knowledge, as I was born in 1970.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:24 am
cavfancier wrote:
Besides eating, drinking, clubbing, screwing and the jazz festival, what else is there to do in Montreal besides sightseeing?

I thought the only thing Montreal was good for was beer and strip clubs. Not that's a bad thing...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:44 am
Joe, you should be able to use any ATM in Canada, as well, including at the airport. The Canajuns are always prepared to, and seem eager to, accpet U.S. dollars.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 11:56 am
Setanta: Merci beaucoup for the information. I suppose it's an airport improvement fee that they're assessing at Dorval/Trudeau, not a tax, since I can't find any mention of a tax or surcharge on my flight charges. I'll just make sure to save $30 CDN for the return trip.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:00 pm
Musee des Beaux Arts
St. Catherines Street.
Old Montreal for dinner
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:02 pm
cavfancier wrote:
joe, are you into the gay scene? Okay, never mind. If you like a really good Belgian crepe, savoury or sweet, I would suggest looking up Ty Breiz. Actually, here it is, but I would stick with the crepes, the rest of the food is quite mediocre. http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2803429-ty_breiz_montreal-i

Actually, I'll be staying in the UQAM-St. Catherine St. area (aka "the Gay Village"), primarily because of the transportation connections there (the airport bus goes to the subway junction at Berri, and it's a quick trip on the subway to Olympic Stadium). Ty Breiz sounds like a great place, but it's on the other side of the island.
0 Replies