the Patroit Act arrives in Iraq

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 06:14 pm
NAJAF, Iraq (AFP) - Iraqi policemen rounded up dozens of journalists at gunpoint in a Najaf hotel and took them to police headquarters before later releasing them, an AFP correspondent said.
Firing their guns in the air, the dozen odd policemen, some masked, stormed into the rooms of journalists in the Najaf Sea hotel and forced them into vans and a truck.
An AFP correspondent, who was also forced into a van, said the police pushed and pulled many reporters at gunpoint.
After a two-minute drive from the hotel, where journalists from across the world are based while covering the battle between Shiite militiamen and US-led Iraqi forces in the holy city, the reporters were taken to the office of the police chief.
"You people are not under arrest," Najaf police chief Ghaleb al-Jezari told them.
"You are brought here because I want to tell you that you never publish the truth. I speak the truth, but you never broadcast what we are."
The reporters, packed into the office, with some sitting on the floor in front of the police chief, protested at their detention.

"You have kidnapped us at gunpoint," said one reporter.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 571 • Replies: 4
No top replies

shaggydog

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:36 pm
How is that like the patriot act?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:38 pm
Mr al-Jezari is just getting off to a rough start trying to emulate a Whitehouse press conference.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:20 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Mr al-Jezari is just getting off to a rough start trying to emulate a Whitehouse press conference.
Please explain how this is like the PA. Did you know that the powers given to the police and govt through the PA are the same powers some of them already had in dealing with drug dealers? This was expanded to fight the war on terror, and I think it has worked out well so far. Please prove me wrong.
0 Replies

shaggydog

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:32 am
Dyslexia, the awesome number of your posts shows that you have nothing to do, like the sound of your own virtual voice, and do not appreciate the concept of quality over quantity. Don't you agree?

The Patriot act boogieman isn't.
0 Replies