Letter to John Kerry

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:23 pm
August 25, 2004

Senator John Kerry
304 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

Dear Senator Kerry,

We are pleased to welcome your campaign representatives to Texas today. We honor all our veterans, all whom have worn the uniform and served our country. We also honor the military and National Guard troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan today. We are very proud of all of them and believe they deserve our full support.

That's why so many veterans are troubled by your vote AGAINST funding for our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, after you voted FOR sending them into battle. And that's why we are so concerned about the comments you made AFTER you came home from Vietnam. You accused your fellow veterans of terrible atrocities - and, to this day, you have never apologized. Even last night, you claimed to be proud of your post-war condemnation of our actions.

We're proud of our service in Vietnam. We served honorably in Vietnam and we were deeply hurt and offended by your comments when you came home.

You can't have it both ways. You can't build your convention and much of your campaign around your service in Vietnam, and then try to say that only those veterans who agree with you have a right to speak up. There is no double standard for our right to free speech. We all earned it.

You said in 1992 "we do not need to divide America over who served and how." Yet you and your surrogates continue to criticize President Bush for his service as a fighter pilot in the National Guard.

We are veterans too - and proud to support President Bush. He's been a strong leader, with a record of outstanding support for our veterans and for our troops in combat. He's made sure that our troops in combat have the equipment and support they need to accomplish their mission.

He has increased the VA health care budget more than 40% since 2001 - in fact, during his four years in office, President Bush has increased veterans funding twice as much as the previous administration did in eight years ($22 billion over 4 years compared to $10 billion over 8.) And he's praised the service of all who served our country, including your service in Vietnam.

We urge you to condemn the double standard that you and your campaign have enforced regarding a veteran's right to openly express their feelings about your activities on return from Vietnam.

Sincerely,

Texas State Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson
Rep. Duke Cunningham
Rep. Duncan Hunter
Rep. Sam Johnson
Lt. General David Palmer
Robert O'Malley, Medal of Honor Recipient
James Fleming, Medal of Honor Recipient
Lieutenant Colonel Richard Castle (Ret.)

link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 591 • Replies: 10
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:25 pm
this is a surprise from bush/cheney lapdogs?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:34 pm
Republican shills.

Quote:
You can't have it both ways. You can't build your convention and much of your campaign around your service in Vietnam, and then try to say that only those veterans who agree with you have a right to speak up. There is no double standard for our right to free speech. We all earned it.

As I said earlier, they have a perfect right to free speech. They do not have the right to libel or slander someone under the guise of free speech.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:58 pm
Reps. Duncan Hunter, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee
Randy "Duke" Cunningham, R-Calif., who spent 21 years in the Navy
Sam Johnson, R-Texas, who spent 28 years in the Air Force
Robert O'Malley and James Fleming, who both received Medals of Honor for their service in the Marine Corps during Vietnam
retired Lt. Col. Richard Castle and Lt. Gen. Dave Palmer, a former superintendent at West Point.

Republican Shills? Hardly.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:06 pm
Quote:
Robert O'Malley and James Fleming, who both received Medals of Honor for their service in the Marine Corps during Vietnam

Can you prove they were shot at, that they deserved those medals of honor? This is the kind of question being levelled at Kerry, why should anyone else be treated any differently?

If you cannot prove they actually achieved their medals of honor, than they are liars and cannot be trusted, correct? After all, this is the kind of logic being used against Kerry.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:11 pm
That's a retarded train of thought Cycloptichorn and frankly not what I would expect from you.
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:11 pm
I'm with you McGentrix. Hey BiPolar, your family is gorgeous...just saw them in the album yesterday. Your daughter looks like the gal who played Elaine Robinson in The Graduate. Beautiful girl.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:14 pm
Yeah, I know. But it's the same attack that is being levelled at Kerry.

I write it not as a serious impungement of those mens' service, but to highlight the ridiculousness of these attacks upon Kerry's record 30 years after the fact.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:16 pm
Kerry couold probably put an end to it by releasing his records completely. Remember the outcry for Bush to release his records?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:24 pm
Quote:
Kerry couold probably put an end to it by releasing his records completely. Remember the outcry for Bush to release his records?

Oh, yeah, I remember. Remember how long it took to get them? Remember how some of them were 'destroyed'? You act as if Bush handed over his records at the first sign of a question about it, instead of making the process last more than a year.

But ya know what? I could care less about either of their records 30 F*CKING years ago. I'd rather discuss policies... because Bush loses big time on a whole host of issues...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:27 pm
I tried starting a thread strictly about policies and no one wanted to play.

Instead we are stuck on character issues.
0 Replies