Opinions on Daewoo Lanos?

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:17 am
One 2000 hatchback w/16 cyl (?) motor is available over here. It seems to be in good condition except that it pulls a bit to the right; the current owner said it began happening about 2 weeks ago when he may have gone over a pothole funny... He has an appointment to get it checked/fixed on Friday. It's automatic (I prefer manual,) but fully loaded, seems to be nicely maintained... It's a bit smaller than most cars I've owned, but I did have and loved a Toyota Tercel about the same size... Let's see, what else? Oh yeah, 41,000 miles on it, and the owner wants $3700 for it. He paid $3900 4 months ago (bought the car for his personal use while he was on a "working vacation," he returns to the mainland soon.)

I'd never heard of the company until this car came along. The company seems to be having some problems, and is so new, that I wonder if the future. Also, this part of the Consumerguide Review makes me wonder at the pulling, "Steering problems: Imprecise steering feel, wandering and loss of power assist. (2000)" But, then again, the owner is taking it to a reputable repair shop, so either they will know it's one thing or another, or not...

I saw a note attatchaed to a review of them that said they had standard parts found in another car (Opal, perhaps?) Does anyone know anything about this, b/c I can't seem to find where I saw that, nor have I found a 2nd source to confirm...

Cars tend to make my head ache, so if any of you experts or amateurs have opinions, I'm curious to know what you think of this car make & model.

TIA, PP Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,434 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:52 am
I don't know anyone who has been happy with a Daewoo, and two who were distinctly unhappy. You might check kelly blue book online to see how quickly the new price declines when it the car hits the secondary market. They are much easier to buy than to sell.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 06:11 pm
What were they distinctly unhappy about?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 10:06 pm
One was quite disappointed at the early failure of the CV joint. Also, the back of the front seat failed, for some reason or another, and tilted rearward an a rather steep angle.

Another just cited general mechanical problems in excess of the the balance of payments owed.

Really, princess, I'm serious about checking out the blue book when thinking of getting an unfamiliar make of car. If most autos are dropping in resale price by, say 10%, in the first year, and the new light of your life declines 30%, it isn't especially important to know exactly why. The market is giving its opinion, and the market is almost always right.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 07:34 am
Don't look at the blue book, don't even consider that car, it's a piece of sh!t. Daweoo is a Korean brand that's gone out of business...they don't make them anymore. Plus, they're junk. Not reliable, engines don't hold up, ect.
You can find a better car than that for $3700.
0 Replies