Is VP Cheney allowed to express his own views?

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:05 am
On Tuesday, August 24, Vice President Cheney and his wife (Lynne) attended a town hall meeting in Davenport, Iowa.

A woman posed a question to VP Cheney. She wanted to know what, "in his heart," Cheney thought about the issue of same-sex marriage.

Cheney responded: ""Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue that our family is very familiar with. . . . With respect to the question of relationships, my general view is that freedom means freedom for everyone. People ought to be able to free -- ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to."

Cheney noted, however, that Bush endorsed an amendment to the United States Constitution to prevent the states from recognizing same-sex marriages. Nevertheless, Cheney expressed his own preference for leaving the issue in the hands of the states.

In response to Cheney's remarks, the following was reported:

Quote:
Cheney surprises GOP base

. . . The Family Research Council, a conservative group with close White House ties, called Cheney's remarks disappointing. "Unfortunately, protection of our values is made more difficult when mixed messages emanate from the White House," said Tony Perkins, the group's president. "We support President Bush's commitment to a constitutional amendment on marriage, but we are left to wonder why the vice president is allowed to depart from this position when the top of the ticket is unified on all other issues."

When the Vice President is requested to answer a question honestly -- from the heart -- shouldn't he be allowed to tell the truth about his own opinion on an issue?

What was he supposed to say? "Sorry, Maam. I cannot tell you from my heart where I stand on that issue because I'm NOT ALLOWED to depart from the party line."

Your views?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 526 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 07:50 am
He is an American even though he is Vice-President and should be allowed the freedom of speech, so why not voice his opinion if he wants to…I have much more respect for a politician that voices their opinion and why, whether or not it falls in line with their party affiliation. I cannot imagine that any politician agrees 100% with their party stance all issues.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:00 am
I agree totally Linkat. He can voice his opinions all he wants. Voicing opinions that are contrary to the policy of his party may hinder his advancement since it could be seen as a detriment in an election (at least as concerns a VP candidate), but I applaud him for not pandering to republican views just to follow party line.

Gotta respect him for that.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:07 am
What would Cheney's stance be if his daughter wasn't gay?

I think we all know the answer to that question.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:08 am
Yeah.

Yay Mary Cheney though for having some effect on her dad.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:10 am
The Cheney comments were well calculated by the GOP. They want to get in bed (so to speak) with the undecided gay voters.

Cheney's comments are not what he truly believes, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:51 am
Actually, I thought that Cheney was caught in a candid moment. And I doubt that there are many undecided gay voters.
0 Replies