How can a good God allow suffering

Leadfoot

Thu 4 May, 2017 06:07 am
@think rethink,
Quote:
in the annihilation of all ego,
I would conclude that there will be no more Suffering).

You first..
cicerone imposter

Thu 4 May, 2017 08:33 am
@Alan McDougall,
Balogny! How about newborns deformed or dies at birth? It has nothing to do with free will. It's about genes and environment.
Do you remember agent orange used in Vietnam? Many new births died or came out with defects.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2613038/40-years-Agent-Orange-heartbreaking-pictures-babies-Vietnam-born-horrific-defects.html
0 Replies

think rethink

Thu 4 May, 2017 11:19 am
@Leadfoot,
Amen
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Sat 6 May, 2017 12:01 pm
@think rethink,
think rethink wrote:

If you distinguish suffering from pain, with the former being a reaction produced by the ego, vs the later being the action itself.

I would confirm your conclusion according to your assumptions about the origins of ego along with a belief that ego intensity in the religious ego is much worse, than in other ego types .

(myself I guess, that religion was the first ego concept, Wich enabled the establishment of various other ego types to follow.
So if the elimination of the God ego, along with its distorted attitudes of responsibility, judgment, separation between your experience of yourself​ as an individual, and your experience of yourself as a public or as an external human being,
a delusional sense of choice and control,

will result in the annihilation of all ego,
I would conclude that there will be no more Suffering).

does not a child express suffering long before they can understand any religious concept?

cicerone imposter

Sat 6 May, 2017 01:21 pm
@Smileyrius,
Also, which religion?
Leadfoot

Sat 6 May, 2017 03:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Would it matter, since it's 'long before'?
cicerone imposter

Sat 6 May, 2017 04:07 pm
@Leadfoot,
true.
0 Replies

think rethink

Sat 6 May, 2017 06:51 pm
@Smileyrius,
No, they express pain.
Without words, suffering is impossible.
Even children from irreligious parents, are also exposed to religion indirectly as soon as they begin to communicate and generate emotions.

It has infested everyone with delusional attitude and beliefs.

Leadfoot

Sat 6 May, 2017 11:01 pm
@think rethink,
Then I suppose we should just kill them all before they get infected and save them all the suffering later?
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Sun 7 May, 2017 11:21 am
@think rethink,
does the child stop crying when the pain has subsided?

A couple of questions, if you would indulge me, could you define the terms as they fit into your ideology? Suffering, religion and ego.
Also why do you suppose that man invented an invisible man in the sky?

Thanks for playing along my friend

cicerone imposter

Sun 7 May, 2017 01:00 pm
@Smileyrius,
It's not god who allows suffering. It's Trump.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trumpcare-mental-health_us_590b5576e4b0104c734c94c1
0 Replies

peacecrusader888

Wed 10 May, 2017 04:10 am
@think rethink,
You consider God to be an invention of man?

Jesus Christ showed us how to deal with suffering by accepting His being nailed on the cross, and who to call to amidst such suffering. Jesus Christ resurrected after three days and three nights in the sepulcher. We have to bear suffering like our Lord until the end for we will be resurrected and live with Him in Heaven.
cicerone imposter

Wed 10 May, 2017 11:47 am
@peacecrusader888,
Quote:
You consider God to be an invention of man?

Yes. Man has created many gods many centuries before the Christian god.
There was a virgin birth of a god before the Christian god. They are all developed from mythology.
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-christ-like-figures-who-pre-date-jesus/

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130117214929AAxjvkW
neologist

Fri 12 May, 2017 03:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Man has created many gods many centuries before the Christian god.
There was a virgin birth of a god before the Christian god. They are all developed from mythology.
True.
As are the teachings of trinity, immortal soul, hellfire, etc.
All false, BTW
But it does not disprove the existence of God.

Nor do the atrocities committed in the name of God.
cicerone imposter

Fri 12 May, 2017 06:43 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
But it does not disprove the existence of God.

It doesn't, and many in this world believe in their god or gods. I, for one, don't believe in things that cannot be proven like the many gods that have been created by man - and man, alone.

I see many human goddesses on this planet; that's plenty enough for me!
Sturgis

Fri 12 May, 2017 11:05 pm
God, being apparently omnipotent (at least that's how the story goes), can pretty much do whatever is to its liking.

Now, if it turns out there are several different GODS, well I guess it becomes a matter of them taking a vote and the majority (or maybe they need 3/4), causes a ruling to make something occur- sometimes wonderful, sometimes good, sometimes not so good and sometimes downright horrific and horrible. Again, God or Gods, can rather much do as they please.
0 Replies

cconq

Sat 13 May, 2017 02:48 am
@edgarblythe,
How about this then
God puts beautiful things on the earth to give us faith and the evil in the world is from forgetfulness of what God ha given us. He has given us support so that we will remember him.
He has given us time to become devoted to him
Alan McDougall

Sat 13 May, 2017 10:03 pm
@SawyerMentink,
SawyerMentink wrote:

How can a God that is good allow human suffering?

Who said that God is Good?
cicerone imposter

Sat 13 May, 2017 10:50 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Many have the impression, wrongly, that god is love.
Leadfoot

Sun 14 May, 2017 06:04 am
@cicerone imposter,
Some even think that science is God.
0 Replies