Decisions about the Art Chat Room

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 04:21 pm
Please choose one of the last three to vote on, and then list your interest level in the first four.

Yesterday's art chat was very interesting. As usual, we were all glad to talk with each other. Several conversations happened at the same time, including one about the subject of Renaissance painting, which we have all been supposed to talk about for a few weeks now, but we get off on other subjects.

Several people are interested in talking about the philosophy of art. Lots of us like to talk about working in the studio. There is then a tendency to talk a lot about painting, and there are many other arts. There is keen interest in photography. And ehbeth brought up the problem of the chat time, which is convenient for some, but leaves out people like Hebba in Europe.

Additionally, I brought up the problem of the evanescene of talk on the chat line - you do research, you look up all about Raffaelo, and summarize your conclusions in fast typing, and in a few clicks time, it's gone.

We decided towards the end of the chat that the next subject is the photogragher/artist Cindy Sherman.

I will post a separate thread with some links as an invite for that.

If we keep doing subjects, maybe there should be an accompanying regular thread on it, so people can express their thoughts in a leisurely way at another time, perhaps after the day of the chat.

It may be that the natural best use of the chats is for general art philosophy mixed with studio talk, and not for long discussion on certain artists.

It also may be that there end up being several chat times, say one for photo, one for painting, etc.

What do you think, do you want a strictly kept subject, no subject, a mix of a subject and chat, or several chat times with different emphasis, or......

I have set up a poll if we can figure out the alternatives...

osso
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,222 • Replies: 4
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 04:25 pm
I love the idea of a sister thread, for those who can't make it to the chat but are interested. (I'd count myself in that group.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 05:23 pm
mulling over the options (that's a bit of a tricky voting scheme).
i do like the idea of a before and after thread - things to look at before the chat, and new things we discover on our way there, or later
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 07:23 pm
Yeah, I had trouble even writing it. Well it is to get us all to talk about it.

The first four are various subject matters and the last three are about do you care at all if we cover subjects and if you do, how intensely.

Gee, even that sentence was hard. So if I had it to do over again, I wouldda said just that, as in the last three choices, and polled for subjects later.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 08:02 pm
Seems I voted right with the majority. I like all the options and would like to try anything that would get more people involved.

I posted the the link to the A2k FAQ on how to use the chat room. The main problem other than type of browser is you have to check the remember me box when the signing onto the site. If that box is not checked you will get bounced out of the room and have to login again.

This is the title of the box to check.
Log me on automatically each visit:

To endter the chat room you have to go to the home page then enter chat.

FAQ For Chat Room
0 Replies