How do you sell a car?

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 03:27 am
What do you say? What don't you say? My car is a 1990 Nissan Sentra in fair condition (according to the Kelley Blue Book grading http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ur?kbb.HI;911547;HI001&96720;cpe+p&722;Nissan;1990%20Sentra&15;NI;F1&&&) and worth $650, more or less... That's about right: it has one going-bad tire, the trunk latch needs some gentle attention to work correctly, the passenger door only opens from the inside, but it's legal, and has worked quite well until the timing began giving me problems and I opted to fix it the cheap way (mechanic diddled w/it) vs the expensive way (mechanic replaces the timing belt for $400.) But, on the other hand, it's legal and starts [/b]which is more than you apparently expect from cars marked "runs great" in the local paper Rolling Eyes So, what do I do now to sell it? I can't really afford to fix any of it, except maybe work w/the trunk latch... I've vacuumed it out... Do I write the copy for $1000 OBO," or more? Less? I always assume 60% is what a person actually expects to get for a car listed in the paper... Do I list it in the paper immediately? Or from Sunday? Or at all (just use bulliten boards?) My bf has offered to front me the money for another car, assuming it's a good deal, and inthemeantime, I am using my bike and his 2nd junker car... School is starting, lotsa collegiates buying clunkers and junkers... this car would probably sell now, so wwyd to get it sold? I was thinking about being honest, writing the ad something along the lines of, "1990 Nissan Sentra, stick, 153K, fair condition, $1,000." Is that enough information? Too much? Add "legal," in? Makes it sounds dubious? Begin the price at $1100? I had the transmission rebuilt about 8 months ago, the timing belt replaced (but by my xh who did it was no mechanic about 3 years ago.) The brakes are good, 3 tires are great, one has little dots on it from being out of alignment or something...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,148 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:56 am
Cheap cars like that are the easiest to sell. Slap a "for sale" tag on it, throw an ad in the paper for a week, try craigslist.com if it lists your area, and you'll be fine. People are always looking for cheap cars.

Don't be too specific in a print ad. Just list the year, model, transmission(auto or 5-spd) and a price. You should get some calls if it's listed for $1000, or even $995. Of course be honest to would be buyers about everything.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 09:58 am
Get rear ended and sell it to your insurance company. That's what just happened to us, certainly not by choice. My wife was making a left turn and some other woman didn't see her/wasn't paying attention - hit her pretty hard square in the tail. Wife wasn't hurt, but damage estimates exceeded the value of the vehicle, which was a 1987 Acura Integra 5-speed with only 47K miles on it. Sucked triple because it was our third car, which we were saving for our daughter when she turns 16.

Anyway, we received a settlement of $3K, which I felt was very fair (the car was in between fair and good condition, it had cosmetic defects, but ran like a top).
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 06:13 pm
My car is being advertised at $995 b/c I can honestly say it's not worth $1,000 imho. Thanks, Slappy!

And CJ, that actually was the scenario with the last car I had before this one. Laughing
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:06 pm
The 3rd person who came offered me $850 for it. If he shows up tomorrow w/the money, it'll all be over. Shocked

Now, I just have to come up with $118.75 for the next 24 months for my bf who fronted me the money for the Daewoo I asked about in the other post. Embarrassed
0 Replies