Hints and Allegations - an A2K Whodunit Game

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 08:37 pm
Horror of horrors! There's been a murder here at Able2know!

Who would do such a dastardly deed? Where would they do it? What kind of weapon would they use? And who's the victim?

And what the heck are the rules of this game, anyway? :wink:

Here at A2K Central, we have a rather quirky clue computer that generates four separate hints every time you ask. One of these clues is about the perpetrator, another about the victim, another about the forum in which the murder occurred, and the fourth is about the murder weapon. It's up to the Gamesmaster to communicate the clues. A new set of clues can't be requested by the detectives unless at least three guesses have been made, although the Gamesmaster can choose to communicate clues every few hours if desired. But that is up to the Gamesmaster's discretion. All clues [color=red][b]must[/b][/color] be found on A2K, but they can be anywhere that everyone on A2K can go to or see, so clues can come from places like -
  • user names
  • signature lines
  • profiles
  • postings on public forums (postings on hidden or restricted forums cannot be used for clues, and anything said in the chat room can't be used)
  • public photo gallery albums (private photo gallery albums cannot be used)
  • rankings (Newbie, Enthusiast, etc.)
  • the Portal
  • join dates
  • listed locations
  • favorite websites (if listed)
  • average number of posts per day

Guesses must cover all four areas. So a detective would guess something like, jespah did it in the Home Improvement forum by siccing the rabid hamsters on (eek) Craven de Kere. Anyone can make the three guesses and they can even all be made in a row by the same person, but it's a courtesy to let others guess before you guess again.

The victim and the killer must both have at least five posts on A2K.

The Gamesmaster cannot be either the killer or the victim. Anyone can be a detective - that's someone playing the game and interpreting the clues. However, a detective can be either a victim or a killer. So victims can talk! I guess dead men tell tales after all.

Since we don't have weapons on A2K (whew!), there are only the following ten means of killing someone (this is to keep games from dragging on into next year) -
      [1]victim is talked to death [2]victim is hit by a falling capybara [3]victim floats away in a balloon [4]victim eats too much pasta [5]victim falls off the edge of the earth [6]victim drowns in a tub of nutella [7]victim dies during an act of intimate passion [8]victim is bitten by rabid hamsters [9]victim is exposed to a radioactive DVD or [10]victim is asphyxiated from breathing the herring breath of a harbor seal. The dirty deed can happen in any public forum, but the victim and the perpetrator need not have ever posted in that forum. Partially correct guesses will be acknowledged by the Gamesmaster telling the detectives that an aspect of the guessing is correct. [i]In order to keep things interesting, the Gamesmaster might not do this immediately after a partially correct guess has been made.[/i] Or, the Gamesmaster might say that something is right, but not how many parts of the guess are correct or which parts of the guess are correct. Since the game works on slow revelations, it's best if the Gamesmaster starts off as vague as possible (e. g. "a part of one of the guesses might be correct") and then moves onto more specific acknowledgments that the detectives are getting warmer (e. g."two parts of the guess are correct" or "all of the mystery has been solved, but the correct parts have not yet been combined"). [b]The game is won when one of the detectives guesses all four aspects of the mystery correctly, in the same guess.[/b]

I hope the rules are clear and, if they aren't, please tell me and I'll be glad to clear them up. If you have better suggestions for rules, please speak up! This game is an experiment and there's always room for improvement.

Let's play! :-D
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 9,765 • Replies: 131
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 08:42 pm
I've just received the first set of clues from the clue computer.

1) The victim has thousands of posts.
2) The killer has fewer posts than the victim.
3) The forum where the murder occurred has fewer topics than the Jokes forum.
4) The weapon used isn't too hot and isn't too cold.

Work together, detectives ....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 08:46 pm
speechless or clueless Embarrassed
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 08:52 pm
Cool, "the game is afoot."

I'm just watching... but I'll go see how many topics in the Jokes forum. Uhhh... (50x29)+8 = 1458

Any forum with less than 30 pages is game.... that's apparently everything but General and Politics.

Ewwwwwwwwwww. Did you know that mystery writers' initial mistakes are making their clues too hard!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 09:07 pm
Well, sure, but I don't want to give it all away in the first shot. Things will start to get narrowed down, don't worry (mainly 'cause I don't want this game to go on until 2014).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 09:11 pm
1.) Dlowan.
2.) Gus.
3.) Books.
3.) Falling Capybara.

Do I have any basis for this? Naaahhhh. But I'm trying out my psychic abilities (narrows eyes, makes swooshy hand motions).
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 09:13 pm
Oooh, swooshy hand motions....

More guesses are needed.

PS I'm off to bed, will return in the AM.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:19 pm
1. Dlowan
2. Cavfancier
3. Food and Drink
4. Drowns in a tub of Nutella
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:09 am
BBB
Diane's answer makes good sense - well, maybe not. Sozobe's also makes good sense, especially if the book is My Pet Goat.

BBB
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 02:50 am
fingerprint....or DNA trace

Please note, MANY A2kers have "thousands" of posts.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 04:40 am
dlowan wrote:
Please note, MANY A2kers have "thousands" of posts.

Many A2Kers have thousands of posts that resemble English... or sanity...

hmmmmm...

Gus is INNOCENT!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 04:54 am
Gus has NEVER been innocent.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 04:58 am
Innocent of murder, cotton-tailed one!!!

hmmmmmm......

OK, he's a prime suspect. Never trusted that goat-loving.......
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 06:00 am
Innocent! No way! He beheaded m in the pub! I don't see anyone doing anything about that!!!

(Hmm, maybe that says more about me than Gus...)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 06:10 am
Cool game, Jes.... I just need to think a little more about this one...

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 06:42 am
Okay, I'm going to check the clue computer for more clues, as there were 2 official guesses plus a lot of, uh, stuff.

Ah, here comes the printout now.

1) The victim has posted a lot of long posts.
2) If the killer's join date had a zodiac sign, it would be Scorpio.
3) The location of the killing (the forum) doesn't have a Debate Guidelines announcement.
4) There's at least one book published about the method of killing.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 07:38 am
For some reason, I think 'Nimh' or 'Setanta' when I see long posts... and, perhaps, it took place in the Aging and Elder Care forum....

0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:16 am
Is there actually a post where the "killing" occurs? (I am so confused!)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:41 am
Nope, no post where the killing occurs, and the victim and the killer don't even necessarily know each other or post on the same topics.

Sorry if that's confusing - this is really more of a scavenger hunt than anything else, I suppose.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:43 am
(I wonder if ther's a book about falling capybaras?)
0 Replies