Dems DID break the law

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:10 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/08/22/taped.call.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A federal judge has sided with Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio, in his six-year-old lawsuit against Rep. James McDermott, D-Washington, over an illegally recorded phone call.

Boehner sued McDermott after a Florida couple, using a scanner, found and recorded a 1996 conference call in which Boehner, then-Speaker Newt Gingrich and other House leaders discussed strategy involving announcement of an ethics committee finding against Gingrich.

The couple gave the tape to McDermott, who was on the ethics committee at the time, and the contents ended up in news stories.

In his decision Friday, U.S. District Court Judge Thomas Hogan ruled that McDermott "participated in an illegal transaction when he accepted the tape."

McDermott had admitted leaking the taped phone conversation to reporters. But he argued that he did not break the law by receiving the tape and that punishing him for making it public would violate his free-speech rights.

The judge, however, said McDermott had no First Amendment protection because he knew he was receiving a recording that had been illegally obtained.

Read the rest of the article.I find it interesting that a member of the ethics committee would knowingly break the law.

You Dems cant deny this,because its a CNN article,and according to some of you,CNN is the only acceptable source.

So,let me hear any of you defend McDermitt now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,495 • Replies: 28
No top replies

revel

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:12 pm
I wont because I don't even know who he is or what it is all about. Moreover, how it is even important in this election.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:26 pm
It isnt,but since the left on here says that CNN is the gospel,I am going to use CNN as my only source.
I will post everything I find that slams the left,and dare them to deny it.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:28 pm
Grow up.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:40 pm
wow, I love any sentence which has 'Gingrich' and 'ethics' in it.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:43 pm
Harper,
All I am doing is posting the truth from the left's favorite news site.
According to many on the left,CNN is the ONLY reputable source.Whats wrong,you dont like the truth?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:47 pm
Hey mysteryman, I think it's great and look forward to many more of these postings. Truth is always fun.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:41 pm
Change "Dems" to singular and you'll have a better truth. I'm seeing McDermott is the only Dem charged in this case.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:52 pm
True Squinney,
He was the only one charged.
BUT,I am holding him to the same standard many on the left apply to the repubs. Since McDermott was a dem,and since the dems made a campaign issue out of it,that means that ALL the dems in power positions in Congress at the time are guilty.

The left says that if a minor repub at a local level commits a crime that every repub up to and including Bush is responsible.So,the left MUST be held to the same standard.
Therefore,EVERY dem in congress at the time is responsible,not just McDermott.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:58 pm
McDermott is a good man, a brilliant psychiatrist and a fine representative for the grand city of Seattle. I, for one, am glad that he had the guts to show that the god-damned Gingrich was a lying sack of ****... even if it were illegal to do so.

At least it brought Gingrich (that lying sack of ****), down. Very Happy

Quote:
A SERIES OF TERRIBLE MISTAKES

In a succession of the worst missteps in modern political history, AP and others reported late Monday that the Florida couple who taped (mistake #1) the cellular strategy session between Gingrich and his top allies said their congresswoman, Rep. Karen Thurman, recommended (mistake #2) they turn over the tape to the ranking Democrat on the House Ethics Committee, Rep. James McDermott (mistake #3), who (may have) turned the tape over to Special Counsel Cole (mistake #4) without at the same time turning it over to Ethics Chairman Nancy Johnson (mistake #5). McDermott (may have) also turned the tape over to the press (mistake #6) who printed a transcript of it (mistake #7). On initial questioning by reporters about the matter McDermott said didn't know anything about it (mistake #8).
Republicans (and the news media) are making bales of hay of the tape affair. Any question about Mr. Gingrich's ethics was completely lost in the shuffle and may remain blurred through the January 21 House vote on punishment for the Speaker's admitted ethical transgressions, unless the hearings spill further devastating revelations.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 04:21 pm
So Piffka,
Are you saying that the law means nothing?
Are you saying that if you think you are doing the right thing,its ok to break the law?
How far do you want to take that "logic"?
I am going to go blow up an airport,because I think its the right thing to do.Since I think its right,that means that I should do it,even though its illegal,right?

Granted,that is an exageration,but it is the same logic as you just showed.
He (McDermott) BROKE THE LAW!!
Are you saying he should not be punished for it?
Are you saying its ok for dems to break the law?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 04:29 pm
Yes, I am. I think that many of our laws suck. An Appeals Judge originally agreed with me, too. This HAS been in litigation for six years, after all. It just depends on who is in power, how these laws are enforced.

And, of course, the laws that Gingrich broke and the promises he made not to discuss his ethics violations with others... that all goes by the window.

Still, I am thrilled that he is gone.

Psst -- If I were you, I'd be careful about saying you'd blow up anything since you could get in a lot of trouble according to the "Patriot" Act II.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 05:58 pm
LOL, Piffka. That was my thought, too!

Would hate for that wonderful piece of legislation that doesn't really do anything as far as taking away any of our rights to be used against mysteryman.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 07:16 pm
mysteryman wrote:
So Piffka,
Are you saying that the law means nothing?
Are you saying that if you think you are doing the right thing,its ok to break the law?
How far do you want to take that "logic"?
I am going to go blow up an airport,because I think its the right thing to do.Since I think its right,that means that I should do it,even though its illegal,right?

Granted,that is an exageration,but it is the same logic as you just showed.
He (McDermott) BROKE THE LAW!!
Are you saying he should not be punished for it?
Are you saying its ok for dems to break the law?

Hmmm Squinney, maybe we ought to save this for posterity before he comes back and edits it. <grin>
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 07:18 pm
^5 Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 07:24 pm
Wink

I'm bad, and I just got a PM that said so.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 07:49 pm
Piffka wrote:
McDermott is a good man, a brilliant psychiatrist and a fine representative for the grand city of Seattle. I, for one, am glad that he had the guts to show that the god-damned Gingrich was a lying sack of ****... even if it were illegal to do so.

So the end does justify the means.

McDermott is also the schmuck who declared, during a press conference in Iraq, that Saddam was more believable than George Bush. On the list of Liberal jackasses, he fits in just above Cynthia McKinney.

What's his punishment mysteryman? Jail time I hope.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 08:08 pm
Pbbbbbbbbbft
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 08:39 pm
Piffka wrote:
Pbbbbbbbbbft

How droll.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 08:41 pm
I'll bet it just kills you to think that my vote is JUST AS BIG as yours. Very Happy
0 Replies