Pit Bull Child Discipline

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 10:28 am
Couple faces jail time for letting dog attack children as discipline
Associated Press

AP
David Hoskins

AP
Joyce Hoskins
HILLSBORO, Ore. -- A couple face at least three years in prison for disciplining their young children by letting their part-pit bull dog attack them.

Joyce Hoskins, 47, and David Hoskins, 46, pleaded guilty Friday to three counts each of assault and were being held without bail.

Investigators said the couple disciplined their 8-year-old daughter and 7-year-old son by allowing their dog Nigel -- a mix of pit bull terrier, Doberman pinscher, German shepherd and Labrador retriever -- to attack them.

The attacks took place over two years and both children suffered bites that required treatment, investigators said. The children are now in foster homes and the dog has been euthanized.

Neighbor Voight Barnhardt said he called police during an attack on March 19.

"There was a kid crying and a dog ripping her to pieces," Barnhardt told The Oregonian. "It was bloodcurdling."

The girl required stitches for tears and puncture wounds in that attack, The Oregonian reported Saturday.

Barnhardt's call led to an investigation and the couple were jailed May 25.

Judge Marco Hernandez said he would sentence Joyce Hoskins to no more than three years, two months because she has limited mental capacities. Deputy District Attorney Andrew Erwin said he would argue for a longer sentence for David Hoskins.

Sentencing was set for Sept. 23.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 953 • Replies: 3
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:32 am
Isn't this the most unbelievable thing you've ever heard?

I'm embarrased that these people live in my state.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:36 am
Oh my God!!!!!!!! It truly shocks me to hear what some parents do to their children!
0 Replies

swestover

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:07 am
How very sad, I dont understand how parents can hurt there children. It makes me sick these people get off so easy. they should be put away forever and not allowed to reproduce.
0 Replies