2

Have we "become too obsessive about running our kids lives"?

sozobe

1  
Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 03:16 pm
sozobe wrote:
I have this notebook where I jot down writing ideas and I liked this one so much I thought I'd save it for an essay or something. But what the heck. The title would be "Boredom is Good."

Some of the science of "Boredom is Good":

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/05/health/research/05mind.html

hawkeye10

1  
Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 05:00 pm
this business about raising kids in a highly structured environment looks like a carbon copy of the discredited practice of raising kids in an atmosphere of constant praise. In both cases the parents who don't follow the program are looked at at 'bad" parents, any arguments against the program are ignored, rational reasons are given for why not following the program is neglect of children, and both practices quickly become bad for kids. In the case of constant praise kids never learn to test themselves, and develop such a strong sense of entitlement that they become handicapped for life, in the case of regimented childhoods the individuals never as adults learn to handle their own affairs very well.

what is wanted are adults who can think for themselves, know themselves, and whom can control themselves. How they are treated as children effects their future ability to do these these things well.