New Propulsion, the "EM Drive"

mark noble

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 01:23 pm
@BillRM,
coz 1+1=2 or dark-matter exists?
How far, in your theoretical-reality are you prepared to go?
I'm not knocking (physio-biochemical) Measurements - I'm denying the 'theoretical' bollux.
Which makes no logical sense, at all.
EXAMPLE - TO BE CONTINUED-
you've seen the experiment, where the hammer and feather (in a 'vacuum') are dropped simultaneously and fall at the same velocity?
Yes or no?
mark noble

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 01:25 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Coz maybe we don't worship his bollux theories enough to care?
0 Replies

BillRM

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 02:00 pm
@mark noble,
Mark had you taken one college level course in Physic or advance mathematics in your life?

You seem to be living in the 15 century.

Next dark matter surely exist see the gravity lensing effects due to the existent of dark matter as an example of this.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 02:38 pm
@farmerman,
I've thought about that, too--but i remain skeptical that the super-rich will actually spend significant fractions of their real wealth on such projects. Certainly corporate money isn't going to go that way without a reasonable prospect of a return on investment. In that regard, the Japanese are the best bet. Japanese corporations have hundred year plans. They may not hew to them blindly, but they are far more likely to look to the future than western capitalists.
BillRM

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 02:52 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
but i remain skeptical that the super-rich will actually spend significant fractions of their real wealth on such projects

Bill Gate is giving away tens of billions of dollars by funding projects and so is Warren Buffett.

Now there is currently a number of private space businesses that are being funded by billionaires who are not likely to have meaningful returns for the billions they are spending.

In fact I can remember one of the space billionaire kidding that you can become a millionaire in the field of space if you started as a billionaire.
Setanta

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 03:01 pm
@BillRM,
"Now there are currently a number . . ." ("a number" is singular, Einstein). You have some evidence for your claim? Money talks, bullsh*t walks. How much do you allege Gates and Buffet have disbursed? Gates' personal fortune is currently reported to be in excess of $77,000,000,000. A significant fraction of that (the term i used) would be tens of billions of dollars. That's what you have demonstrate to make good your claim.
farmerman

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 03:02 pm
@BillRM,
befor its done, I saw that the actual "DOING of this project will be in the one or two TRILLION.

Lotsa crowd sourcing needed. Or mega cooperation among nations.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 03:04 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
one of the space billionaire kidding that you can become a millionaire in the field of space if you started as a billionaire
This line actually started out as

"How do you make a small fortune in technology?___ Start with a large fortune"
0 Replies

BillRM

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 03:04 pm
@Setanta,
It is a matter of public records how must Gates foundations had given out to date and it can be found with any google search so stop playing silly and pointless games.
Setanta

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 03:06 pm
From Fortune magazine's online service:

Bill Gates calls on the U.S. government to invest more on R & D. Not Bill's money--taxpayer's money. This is typical of the rich.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 03:10 pm
@BillRM,
The word you wanted was "much," not must. Calling on you to back up your claims is not a silly and pointless game. Trying to dodge that is, though. Provide evidence that Gates has spent--actually disbursed--tens of billions of dollars on space exploration, or i call you a bullsh*t artist.
BillRM

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 03:27 pm
@Setanta,
Yes it is game playing when anyone can do a google search and drive in as must details as they care to and have the time for.
farmerman

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 04:15 pm
@BillRM,
Bill GAtes has been openly critical of billionaires who "piss away" money on space programs. "You get to shoot off rockets and I guess its funr but I dont see it doing anything for humanity so Ill not be wasting any money on it"

Something like that
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 04:44 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
that too. (I have no idea what that is?) Sounds serious

A vacuum metastability disaster starts at a point and expands outward in space just shy of the speed of light.

Within this expanding zone of doom, normal protons and neutrons are exotic particles that rapidly decay into other (unknown) particles, liberating large amounts of energy.

When the expanding zone of doom encompasses earth, most of earth's mass will convert into energy, causing the planet to explode with a force greater than a supernova. After that, there will no longer be any matter in this part of the universe (matter now being composed of exotic particles that rapidly decay into something else).

Since the vacuum metastability disaster expands just shy of the speed of light, and the energy that it liberates will travel at the speed of light, some of the huge amounts of energy that are liberated will range ahead of the primary disaster. This means that before the primary disaster arrives, earth will first be baked with lethal radiation and then will be stripped of its atmosphere by an extremely aggressive "solar wind".

Some physicists believe that in the wake of a vacuum metastability disaster the region of space where there is no longer any matter will soon collapse in on itself in a "big crunch", causing that part of the universe to cease to exist altogether.

Presuming that humanity manages to avoid all the avoidable extinction events, this will be the event that one day renders our species extinct.
Setanta

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 05:44 pm
@BillRM,
I have no obligation to do your homework for you. If you make a claim, and you want to be taken seriously, you need to provide the evidence. The English in that one was so bad i wasn't sure what it would take to make it coherent.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 06:44 pm
Bill Gates, Buffet, and a bunch of others have pledged to give away 90% of their wealth before they even check out. I suppose they could spend it on micro probes, etc but it seems like a silly idea at this time.

It would be like the Rockefellers, et al, proposing a moon shot in the early 1900's. The technology wasn't ready, it'd be a waste.

Wait another 50 years or so and it would be money more efficiently spent. But that doesn't have the appeal of getting results in the lives of people alive today so no 'Lottery Ticket' appeal.
farmerman

Tue 19 Apr, 2016 06:49 pm
@oralloy,
dayum. That would **** up my weekend plans. But the good thing is that the metastability, like a gamma burst, would hqppen so quick we wouldnt even be able to complete the phrase,"Hey whats Happe..."

Now you gave me something else to worry about besides Zika virus and Donald Trump.
0 Replies

mark noble

Thu 21 Apr, 2016 08:08 am
@Leadfoot,
Kind of agreeing with you, a lot, today, Lead.
I would have gone with Rothschilds, Soros, Windsor, kissinger, medici and du pont, but Rockerfeller's a good start.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 21 Apr, 2016 08:43 am
@Leadfoot,
Leland Stanford woulda stood out as a "guilt ridden gilded ager"
Leadfoot

Thu 21 Apr, 2016 08:18 pm
@farmerman,
But Unlike his horses, he kept at least one foot on the ground at all times.