Bush vs. Kerry

Thok

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:36 am
Kerry files FEC complaint against swift boat group

Quote:
The Kerry presidential campaign filed a complaint Friday with the Federal Election Commission, alleging that ads from an anti-Kerry veterans' group are inaccurate and "illegally coordinated" with Republicans and the Bush-Cheney campaign.

The complaint -- filed against Swift Boat Veterans for Truth -- states that "... there is overwhelming evidence that SBVT is coordinating its expenditures on advertising and other activities designed to influence the presidential election with the Bush-Cheney campaign."

A spokesman for the group, composed of Vietnam veterans who served on swift boats, said it had no response to the complaint. Members have previously denied coordinating with the Bush campaign.

A spokesman for the Bush campaign dismissed the complaint as "frivolous and false," but said it welcomed a broader look at the so-called 527 groups, tax-exempt organizations that engage in political activities.

Congress banned the use of unregulated "soft money" by political parties and certain political groups in 2002, but that law did not address activity by 527s, named for a section of the federal tax code.

"The Bush campaign filed FEC complaints [in early May] requesting an investigation of the coordination between the Kerry campaign and the Media Fund and ACT [America Coming Together]," campaign spokesman Taylor Griffin told CNN, naming two left-leaning 527s.

In its complaint, the RNC named the Kerry campaign, 28 groups and at least two large donors. The RNC charged that the groups violated campaign finance reform law by illegally raising what is known as "soft money." The complaint said the 527 groups were coordinating advertising efforts with the Kerry campaign and the Democratic Party.
The Kerry campaign has denied any collusion with those groups.

Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona said Friday that President Bush "has been the recipient of 527 ads which are terrible, and in my view very, very inappropriate." McCain charged that all 527 ads are illegal. Previously he has asked both Kerry and Bush to condemn the critical ads.

Campaign officials with Kerry in Florida said the complaint notes a New York Times report of "a web of connections to the Bush family, high-profile Texas political figures, and President Bush's chief political aide, Karl Rove."

full story

Bush vs. Kerry goes in the next round.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:39 am
and in addition, a analysefrom Newsweek:

Is the real aim of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth to divert attention from Iraq?

Quote:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:37 pm
Someone broke a window. Sad

Remember, this thread is to state each players platform. This is not another thread to discuss what they have done, but what they are saying they WILL do. Can we get back to that? So far NO ONE has stated a single peice of Kerry's platform. Is it that weak?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:42 pm
Nah, we're just feeling lazy McG ...

(And this is my way of bookmarking ... commendable attempt, this thread, hope it works)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:23 pm
Where is Dys? I created this thread because he specifically wanted it...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:25 pm
since I endorse neither Kerry nor Bush, frankly I don't give a damn.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:27 pm
dyslexia wrote:
mcg, so nice to see you sticking to issues of merit to the american people, or did you forget there are people concerned more about their lives and their furtures then they are about unsupported allegations about either Bush's or Kerry's service record?
keep in mind I am the noted "radical anarchist" of a2k fame but I am truely interested in actual issues over innuendo and sound bites. what say we have a tread showing, side by side, Kerry platforms vs Bush platforms on key issues. You know, kinda like bring on the debate as if it were effecting the people. Perhaps we could both learn something, nah, I doubt it.

Oh.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:28 pm
Jeez, McG, do you really want us to copy and paste Kerry's platform from his website to this forum? Can't you just look it up yourself?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:39 pm
actually mcg, what I don't give a damn about is trying to justify or portray either Bush of Kerry via their platforms, as I stated and you copied accurately, I am interested in what their platforms are from an objective point of view. That does not make me interested in digging up and posting information about said platforms. In addition I was curious to see if you were capable of posting other than silly cartoons of dubious merit as seems your want. I, personally am above average in bias, I just don't happen to lean towards the democrat or republican ticket, I am far too liberal to do that.
0 Replies