Senator? Terrorist? Kennedy victim of terrorist watch list

Thok

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 02:55 am
Haha, now politicans know how it feels if you are stopped at the "check in " point.

Airlines refused to board well-known senator 5 times

His name is similar to an alias used by suspect

Quote:
Veteran Senator Edward Kennedy said yesterday he had been misidentified on a terrorism watch list five times when he tried to board airliners between Washington and Boston.

The Massachusetts Democrat, who has been in the U.S. Senate since 1962, was stopped as he tried to board US Airways shuttles because his name resembled an alias used by a suspected terrorist, his aides said.

"If they have that kind of difficulty with a member of Congress, how in the world are average Americans, who are getting caught up in this thing, how are they going to be treated fairly and not have their rights abused?" Kennedy asked Homeland Security Undersecretary Asa Hutchinson.

Hutchinson, who apologized for "any inconvenience" to the senator, was testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee on the need for the federal government to take over the watch lists, which are currently administered by the airlines.

Kennedy said he was stopped at airports in Washington, D.C., and Boston three times in March.

Airline agents told him he would not be sold a ticket because his name was on a list.

Instead of acknowledging the silver-haired septuagenarian as the congressional leader whose face has flashed across the nation's television sets for decades, the airline agents acted as if they had stumbled across a fanatic who might blow up an airplane and refused to give him his ticket.

`How in the world are average Americans going to be treated fairly?'

Edward Kennedy, U.S. senator

When Kennedy asked the agent why, he was told, "We can't tell you.''

The Senate chamber erupted in laughter when Kennedy said: "I went up to the desk and said, `I've been getting on this plane, you know, for 42 years. Why can't I get on the plane?'''

Each time, a supervisor recognized Kennedy and got him on the flight. But after the third incident, Kennedy's staff called the Transportation Security Administration and asked to clear up the confusion.

The TSA said a name similar to Kennedy's was on the watch list, and he was later flagged to go through additional screening. TSA also said the airlines didn't handle the matter properly.

Just days after Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge called Kennedy in early April to apologize and to promise that the problems would be resolved, another airline agent tried to stop Kennedy from boarding a plane yet again.

The alias used by the suspected terrorist on the watch list was Edward Kennedy, said David Smith, a spokesman for the senator.

The American Civil Liberties Union has filed lawsuits in San Francisco and Seattle over this issue, demanding that the government explain how wrongly flagged travellers can get off the lists.

Hutchinson said that people who experience problems can call the TSA ombudsman to clear things up.

Link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,523 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:29 am
Quote:
The Massachusetts Democrat, who has been in the U.S. Senate since 1962, was stopped as he tried to board US Airways shuttles because his name resembled an alias used by a suspected terrorist, his aides said.

I think that that sentence is the funniest part of the article. There is a terrorist out there with a wicked sense of humor! Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:40 am
To quote Walt Kelly, via Pogo . . .

We have met the enemy, and he is us . . .
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:42 am
I think he only has trouble if his flight plan involves flying over open water.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:57 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:09 am
When Gore was recently in Italy a terrorist alert ensued, now this......hmmmmmm.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:16 am
Brand X wrote:
When Gore was recently in Italy a terrorist alert ensued, now this......hmmmmmm.

conspiracy? Or actually the politicans go berserk ? :wink:
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:19 am
Well, Gore and Ted are politicians, both have definitely gone berserk. :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:22 am
I just read this article - what a hoot, in a sad sort of way. There was a caller on npr who said her daughter was on a watch list and asked how to get her off the list. That mother dogged Asa Hutchinson for an exact protocol for clearing her daughter's name. He told her what do do and she said she'd tried it to no avail.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:47 am
Brand X wrote:
Well, Gore and Ted are politicians, both have definitely gone berserk. :wink:

well , true...

littlek wrote:
There was a caller on npr who said her daughter was on a watch list and asked how to get her off the list. That mother dogged Asa Hutchinson for an exact protocol for clearing her daughter's name. He told her what do do and she said she'd tried it to no avail.

also very courious story
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 01:49 pm
I work with a gentleman whose name is on the list. After more than a year of fighting, he has given up.

According to him there is a loop in the process to get your named removed, and the system breaks down big time.

He is no longer allowed to fly, becuase the stupid system they set up apparently didn't account for the fact that some people have the same names. It's f*cking ridiculous. He can't fly to go see his grandkids in Newark (not that I would want to go there anyways).

Now for the really sad part. His father passed away 3 states over, and he had to drive to the funeral b/c he isn't allowed to fly. Sucks a big one if you ask me.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 01:53 pm
I don't see anything funny about a system that screws over the innocent so easily.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 02:32 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't see anything funny about a system that screws over the innocent so easily.

Actually it is not funny.
The politicans, not only the Democrats, must feel what also the folks feel.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 02:38 pm
No, it is NOT funny, and I would be furious if it happened to me. I would be much more furious though, if a terrorist was allowed to make mischief because the airlines were not more vigilant.

Yeah, there are going to be major league screwups. This system has just been recently put into place, and there are many bugs in it. I think that we all need to be patient, and think about the larger picture!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 02:41 pm
The bigger picture is that nothing has really been done about airport security in the U.S.

It's as lax as it was before.

I can't get out of Pearson with a hairclip in my purse, but Boston - Boston lets me fly with a serious knife in my purse (after 3 hand searches). Denver, Phoenix, no better.

The focus in the U.S. seems to be on news of preventing terrorism, but very little on actual action against terrorism.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 02:43 pm
Perhaps that's because we are spending all our money fighting a stupid war overseas instead of bolstering defenses at home like we should...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:03 pm
Well, I am glad that it happened to him because he has the power to light the fire under the asses of the people who can fix it.

This article raises tons of questions about this list. One, how hard is it to put a birth date with the name on the list? That way you could at least eliminate people with the same name as terror suspects, who happened to be 70 years old. The other question I have is, how did the name Kennedy get on the list? Are we including all the IRA memebers from 10 or 15 years ago?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:07 am
FreeDuck wrote:

One, how hard is it to put a birth date with the name on the list?

not hard, rather easy

Quote:
That way you could at least eliminate people with the same name as terror suspects, who happened to be 70 years old.

true, that's is really dangerous.

Quote:
The other question I have is, how did the name Kennedy get on the list? Are we including all the IRA memebers from 10 or 15 years ago?

Probably, if there are terror alerts of 3-4 years ago , then is all possible.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 08:19 am
A person I read about yesterday with the same problem added his middle initial when signing up. After that, he had no problem. Which also illustrates how ridiculously easy it is to thwart the system. Security? Isn't it true that locks only keep the honest person out.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 08:24 am
Quote:
Perhaps that's because we are spending all our money fighting a stupid war overseas instead of bolstering defenses at home like we should...

Cycloptichorn - Amen to that. I think that the fall of Saddam was necessary, and we need to see the rebuilding of Iraq through, but we need to reshuffle our priorities. The most important thing is making the US safe!
0 Replies