Holiday habits of travelling Brits

Thok

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:23 pm
of course already off topic, but however:

1. ) No, German has also the connection with english and is smiliar with Dutch and reverse.
2. ) Nope! German is one of the most difficult language in the world. You must this admit...
3. ) german is also speak by a minority at ...the Netherlands,as well as East Africa!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:26 pm
1) No, Dutch is between English and German.
2) That is simply not true. Dutch is considered to be one of the most difficult languages in Europe.
3) Well, we do have more than 400,000 Germans and their decendants living in the Netherlands. However, I was pointing on the countries which recognize German as a (minority) language. The Netherlands does not (for what I know).
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:40 pm
1.) well, never. Rather Dutch is in addition to German.
2.) It is true, alongside Dutch.
3.) Right,tough.

conclusion: There is still always a fight and probably never can really decide it...
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:45 pm
I've done some searching, and the official languages in the Netherlands are Dutch and Frisian (dialects like Limburgs and Brabants excluded). Than you have a group of foreign minority languages spoken in the Netherlands: Turkish, Moroccan-Arabic, Papiamento, Malaysian, and Sranan Tongo (language from the former Dutch colony of Suriname).

The site also said that the Dutch have a tendency to give up their language real fast after they have emigrated to especially Anglo-Saxon countries, like America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Of the first generation of Dutchmen, already 57% only see English as their mothertongue (first generation are the children of the emigrants). For Germans this is 42.4%; Italians 11.2%; Greeks only 4.3%. For the second generation (grandchildren of the emigrants), the figures are even higher: Dutchmen 88.7%; Germans 72.9%; Italians 32.2%; Greeks 9.6%.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:47 pm
Thok wrote:

What about Dutch grammar compared to English grammar, and German grammar compared to English grammar?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:55 pm
A total of 21 million Europeans speak Dutch. Afrikaans - derived from Dutch - is spoken in South Africa and Namibia. Dutch has influenced Bahasa Indonesia, the official language of Indonesia. In the American states of Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin, Dutch dialects - heavily influenced by English - are spoken. There are hundreds of thousands of Dutch still living in countries like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Brasil and South Africa. Dutch is taught at universities in forty countries, from Bulgaria to South Korea. Pretty impressive for such a small country, not? Mr. Green
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 01:07 pm
For the Dutchies (as well as other people who understand Dutch) among us: an Afrikaans article concerning the murder of Anna Lindh I found on this website. Very funny to read ('ma van twee')

Quote:
Swede rou oor sy vermoorde minister
STOCKHOLM. - Die moord op me. Anna Lindh, Swede se minister van buitelandse sake, het dié land gister in rou en ongeloof gedompel, en wêreldleiers het hulde aan Lindh gebring.
By die ingang van die Karolinska-hospitaal waar dié 46-jarige ma van twee gister om 05:29 gesterf het, het die Sweedse vlag halfstok gehang. Besoekers het gehuil en rose, die simbool van Lindh se Sosiaal- Demokratiese Party, naby die vlagpaal neergelê. 'n Huldeblyk van jeuggroepe van politieke partye het gelui: 'Jy is in ons gedagtes, Anna Lindh.' 'Ek is uitgeput. Dit is verskriklik. Ek voel verlam in dié situasie,' het me. Ingela Tornqvist, 'n verpleegster, gesê. 'Sy was 'n vrou en ma en 'n goeie minister. Dit is so verskriklik.' Die mesaanval op Lindh in 'n winkel het ou wonde oor die sluipmoord op die premier mnr. Olof Palme in 1986 oopgekrap. Vir baie het dit die illusie verwyder dat Swede immuun is teen politieke geweld.
'Die rou, woede en wanhoop wat die moord tot gevolg het, is onbeskryflik,' het mnr. Alf Svensson, leier van die Christen- Demokratiese Party, gesê.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 02:25 pm
hehe Very Happy far out you too Smile
think peace and love Smile
you too are funny Very Happy
given what youve both said about your languages its probably for the best we are all speaking english Wink
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 02:42 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Thok wrote:

What about Dutch grammar compared to English grammar, and German grammar compared to English grammar?

both

Rick d'Israeli wrote:
A total of 21 million Europeans speak Dutch. Afrikaans - derived from Dutch - is spoken in South Africa and Namibia. Dutch has influenced Bahasa Indonesia, the official language of Indonesia. In the American states of Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin, Dutch dialects - heavily influenced by English - are spoken. There are hundreds of thousands of Dutch still living in countries like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Brasil and South Africa. Dutch is taught at universities in forty countries, from Bulgaria to South Korea. Pretty impressive for such a small country, not? Mr. Green

Around 100 millions people in Europe speaks german. East Africa a small minority speaks german,too. Also in American States german is spoken , especially in the city of Chicago.
In Canada they speak german, indeed. ( like User hamburger ;-) ) . Of course german is academic in many universities around the world.
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 09:34 pm
Wow, a language debate AND diverse food educations all in one thread. Incredible!

Thanks for the info about Marmite and Bovril. I had wanted to inquire what they were. I don't think we have anything like that in the US. But then, we have many things strange to others as well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:05 pm
I think I have brought food on planes, but can't remember. Must have been something simple like a croissant, but I have a faint memory of actually bringing some delicious food, knowing I faced hours of plane and airport drek. (Sorry, food snob here. Plus, food at airports around here is very expensive and not very good, although the coffee is improving.) My main memory is of spending money at the duty free shop in Rome, what little money I had left, on various food stuffs as presents, including some wild boar sausage, and having them confiscated at US customs, zappo. Sheesh.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:09 am
AngryWaves wrote:
Wow, a language debate AND diverse food educations all in one thread. Incredible!

no more incredible :-)
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 05:57 am
Why don't we forget this all this noisy arguing over some coffee and a nice packet of Tim Tams?

From the Arnotts website:
Quote:
There are eight delicious varieties of Tim Tams: Original, Chewy Caramel, Mocha, Double Coat and Classic Dark Chocolate, Special Edition Tim Tam Hazelnut, Limited Edition White Chocolate and new Special Edition Chewy Choc Fudge.

Drom, I'm afraid I don't know the history of the incredible Tim Tam, but you've made me curious. I may have to do some research...
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:03 am
For those familiar with another bisuit called "Penguin", here is a discussion of their relative virtues:

www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/previous.php3?item=47
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:09 am
Aha, found it:

Quote:

For a little hint on flavour:
Quote:
Tim Tams were developed so that the chocolate has a slight hint of caramel in it. Where as the cream in the center is more a vanilla, butter and chocolate flavor. Whatever the combination, it works well and tastes great.

Alright, I'll stop now. Laughing
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:19 am
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
For the Dutchies (as well as other people who understand Dutch) among us: an Afrikaans article concerning the murder of Anna Lindh I found on this website. Very funny to read ('ma van twee')

Weird. I find Afrikaans slightly easier to read than Dutch.

Thanks for finding out why they're called tim-tams, Fortune! As for those tim-tams' ingredients, they're making me hungry (despite my not particularly liking chocolate at all.) Another reason why I should, perhaps, go over to Melbourne soon and enjoy the rest of the winter there, before it gets hot again Very Happy.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:27 am
We'd love to have you, Drom!

As for the weather, we had a beautiful thunderstorm this evening (I love those) complete with lightening. The days have been getting noticably less chilly of late but the nights will still drive you under the covers. It wont get really hot here until closer to Christmas.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:30 am
Thanks, Fortune Very Happy! I was in Melbourne once before, in the middle of winter (July, I think it was,) and I liked it lots Very Happy (especially just looking around for unusual places and secluded spots.) It's the Australian city that I prefer the most... despite having just as much to do, it seems to have less hussle than Sydney, somehow.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:32 am
Could be the wider streets. Sydney traffic is mad!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 12:38 pm
Thok wrote:
Rick d'Israeli wrote:

Around 100 millions people in Europe speaks german. East Africa a small minority speaks german,too. Also in American States german is spoken , especially in the city of Chicago.
In Canada they speak german, indeed. ( like User hamburger :wink: ) . Of course german is academic in many universities around the world.

But come on: Germany - big country. The Netherlands - small country (though pretty impressive of course ... ). Just face it Mr. Green

dròm_et_rêve wrote:
Weird. I find Afrikaans slightly easier to read than Dutch.

I heard the same thing from my cousin who lives in Austria (her mother is my aunt, Dutch, and her father is an Austrian). She studied Dutch, and some two years ago she visited South Africa. She was amazed how similar it was to Dutch. It was real easy for her to pick it up.
0 Replies