Holiday habits of travelling Brits

Col Man

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 02:51 am
Taking teabags, Marmite and tomato ketchup are among holiday habits of Britons travelling abroad.

More than two in five take their own teabags on foreign trips while 24% pack sweets and chocolate, the survey by American Express found.

While 14% insist on taking instant coffee, 7% would not leave without Marmite, 2% take Bovril, 1% pack baked beans and 1% carry tomato ketchup.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,487 • Replies: 116
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:02 am
Bovril and Marmite I could never support. I don't bring anything; apart from, ocassionally, some ketchup.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:05 am
Smile well i took 500 tea bags to argentina last time
and as i found to my horror after ages of searching...they dont sell baked beans there... ill probably take some of them too with the tea next time... Smile
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:12 am
I could never live without pineapple juice; but they have plenty enough there Very Happy...

Do you like baked beans lots?

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:38 am
hmmm i used to..
as i child my mum fed me baked beans all the time...
at one point i was eating them everyday...
she used to make what she called 'fairy beans' where she would cut the bread into little squares and put a few beans on each so they were tasty morsels...

nowadays i go thru 'phases' like i said yesterday..
i have phases with most things where ill get really into it for a while and then stop for ages..
my last baked bean phase was when i came back from arg..
for a few weeks i had them every day, either fairy beans style or with chips which im into making from sweet potatoes currently...
Smile
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:44 am
Sweet potato chips? They sound interesting. I've always found beans dry compared to the food of the gods, spaghetti hoops Very Happy.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:52 am
haha Smile i see Wink
well we all have our little weaknesses dont we Wink
i used to like heinz spaghetti with buttered toast but i never got into the hoops or what were they.. the alphabet pasta shapes or the little animals shapes Smile
and the heinz beans with sausages..yuk.. i didnt like tham at all.......
Smile
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:54 am
i used to also like beans and chips(of the normal variety) and id mash them all up into a kind of pinky red paste which id then eat
Smile
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:57 am
I prefer beans with baked potatoes, if I'm having them... I didn't like those sausage-beans at all.

Incidentally-- Prince's straight spaghetti is just disgusting...

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:57 am
Now I'd better go! See you soon!

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 04:58 am
chau amiga
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:00 am
I wonder what a survey would say about the Dutch travelers. I bet they're even worse! 'Hagelslag', 'pindakaas', 'kaas' Mr. Green
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:14 am
I guess "kaas" = cheese ? Smile
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 09:54 am
No need to bring all that stuff here, Brits. We have plenty of baked beans and tea bags for all.

Hmm, but what would I take with me out of the country? Oh, that's easy, Tim Tams.

For all who have never known the sheer bliss that is the Tim Tam: Firstly, you have my pity. Secondly, a Tim Tam is a biscuit, the most delicious biscuit in the world. It is chocolate cream filling sandwiched between two absolutely mouth-watering chocolate biscuits, the whole of which is just smothered in a coating of chocolate. (I'm making myself crazy just describing them.)

Tim Tams can be eating straight from the packet or you can use them as a sort of straw for drinking milk or the hot drink of your choice (I like coffee but it's up to the individual) by biting off opposing corners of the biscuit (they're rectangular) and sucking your drink up through the biscuit. The result of which is that the inside goes completely gooey (and so does the outside if your drink is hot). Tim Tams can NOT be eaten individually (I'm serious, it's just not humanly possible!).
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 09:56 am
P.S. You can also buy varieties which have a chewy caramel filling and others which have a double coating of chocolate.

(Can't... Resist. Must... Go... Buy... Tim... Tams.......)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:04 am
It seems that you like Tim-Tams a little, don't you, Fortune ;D?

How did they get their name?

0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:09 am
This is a fun thread. Very Happy

I don't think I've ever packed food when travelling overseas.

My brother brings Tabasco sauce everywhere though. A friend in Greece who spent many years in the states recently requested shipments of Koolaid mix and Jello mix.

What's Marmite?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:13 am
mac11 wrote:

What's Marmite?

Made from a by-product of the beer brewing process, the yeast extract Marmite is a popular UK sandwich and (taste good :-) )toast spread.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:13 am
marmite is a brown/black gooey substance..its a yeast extract.it comes in jars.you spread it on bread and other things..
it tastes like bovril but without the meat...
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:14 am
me was first .. and with a better explanation :-P ;-)
0 Replies