pregnancy and emancipation

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 02:41 pm
Edit [Moderator]: Moved from General to Parenting & Childcare.

Hi, I'm a 15 year old, pregnant, female, living in North Carolina. I have heard many things about becoming emancipated when the child is born. I would like to know if I can become emancipated and move out once my baby is born, or do I still have to wait until I'm 16?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 847 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 02:52 pm
Why do you want to move out?
0 Replies

BleedingForever9

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 03:26 pm
pregnancy and emancipation
I want to move out because I want to live with the baby's father, and my mom is not the best support in the world.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 03:37 pm
Be careful what you wish for--it just might come true. You might be jumping from the frying pan and into the fire. You're young, you're selfish, you're shortsighted, you're not putting your baby first, and you're not considering the detrimental consequences of "emancipation."

If you get your wish, what will you do when the baby is born, the baby's father keeps the baby, and kicks you out? If you reject your parents' protection of your best interests and end up emancipated and out on the street, how will you wage a custody battle and prove to a court that you are the better parent when you can't even take care of yourself?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 03:42 pm
Bleeding Forever--

You have a lot to organize and decide before your baby is born. Is there anyone--an aunt, a cousin, the school guidance counselor, Planned Parenthood, Birthright--anyone who would help you and your babies father make sensible plans?

As for the emancipation question, call your local Welfare office. The number should be somewere in the Blue Pages of your phone book.

Take a few minutes and scan the Blue Pages. There is a lot of free help listed--and you and your boyfriend could use some help right now.

Good luck.
0 Replies