RPC scrambling to thwart U.S. Supreme Court intervention

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:03 am
Most of the liberals on my block are church-goin' Christians. One of them promises to pray for Setanta each time she sees him on a Sunday morning.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:04 am
Quote:
i simply despise the imposition of their superstitions on us all.

Beautifully said, Set!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:13 am
Re: Baldimo
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
As I have said many times before, race is not the same as sexual preference. Society shouldn't have to change because of people's choice in life, gay people can still be married but not to the same sex.

Can it be proven that homosexuality isn't a choice?

I doubt you have an open mind that would consider anything but your biased opinion regarding the cause of homosexuality. Do you have any credible scientific and medical proof that homosexuality is a choice?

Why do you think the State should decide whom one may love and want to marry? If you hold that the answer is yes, then why shouldn't it also apply to heterosexuals. Do you want the State to decide whom you may love and want to marry?
BBB

BBB, the state already does decide whom you may love and marry. Or to be more specific, whom you cannot marry. There are laws prohibiting marrying close blood relatives. There are laws that prohibit me from marrying more than one person at the same time. So I take it you would agree that these laws are also discriminatory in nature and should be abolished.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:16 am
Quote:
So I take it you would agree that these laws are also discriminatory in nature and should be abolished.

The laws having to do with marrying your close relatives are for the genetic protection of our species, and are not based on social convention.

As for the laws saying you cannot marry more than one person at a time? They should be abolished. People should be free to marry in groups if they like - I wouldn't (one woman is enough for me, thanks) but that doesn't mean that other people should be denied the right to if they wish to.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:19 am
ehBeth wrote:
Most of the liberals on my block are church-goin' Christians. One of them promises to pray for Setanta each time she sees him on a Sunday morning.

My upbringing would never allow me to respond to Miss Rita in any other manner than to thank her for her consideration. It is too bad that her efforts are wasted.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:20 am
Thanks, Cyclo . . .
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:24 am
Thanks Cy. At least you would be consistent in your beliefs. That is a plus for anyone on these threads. Smile

One other point though. Would you be agreeable to close relatives marrying if they could not have children? That takes away the genetic issue and leaves no issue for the state to take exception to.

Oh, and just so ya know, one woman is definately enough for me too. I only ask the question because there are too many here who take a position on this without thinking through the consequences of saying that the state has no right to tell you who you cannot marry. They think the outcome of the gay marriage issue exists in a vacuum and will have no long range effects on other issues involving marriage. I happen to believe otherwise.

In any case, I don't think the issue of gay marriage is going away any time soon.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:27 am
There is an old nautical term having to do with attempted urination in an upward direction on a rope and the futility associated with that process that seems to apply here.

Time to go outside and play! Little Geniuses!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:30 am
Me either.

I really don't have a problem with close relatives marrying each other with no children involved... I just think that such a rule would be somewhat problematic to enforce outside of sterilization. I mean, it's sort of creepy to me but what do I know?

But, as for the larger issue, I don't think I have the right to tell people how to be happy. I think laws that limit other people's happiness (outside of those that serve as a DIRECT protection to the interests of society) should be reviewed and a lot of them thrown out.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:56 pm
I agree with cycloptichorn. (couldn't spell that in a million years if it wasn't right there in front of me. What does it mean?) I don't see why people who are mature and rational can't marry as many people as they want and I agree about close relative thing.

As I have said before, in my own personal religious convictions, I feel that the practice of homosexuality is a sin. But I just don't think it is something that should regulated by the government but rather is a personal belief.

Isn't it odd that those who go on and about how big government is forget all about that when it comes these issues that don't hurt anybody? Makes you wonder just exactly is so big and burdensome that they want to be done away with. Civil rights? Minimum wage? affirmative action? sexual harrassment suits in the work place? Child abuse cases? I think they simply want to go back to the days when governors and can deny African Americans the right to sit in the front of a public bus without the federal law telling them they can't.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:57 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Race is not a choice, and people like myself don't see the race that my wife is. I see a beautiful woman and nothing else. I didn't choose her because of her race but rather because she was a woman and whe was intelligent. I married her because she was a woman plain and simple.

We can prove that hetrosexuality is natural, can the same be said for homosexuality? Is it genetic and can it be proven?

Please get yourself educated. I don't mind talking with someone who disagrees but I sure as hell mind it when someone is either too lazy or too dogmatic to learn.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/02/07/MNG3N4RAV41.DTL
0 Replies

astromouse

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:07 pm
revel wrote:
I agree with cycloptichorn. (couldn't spell that in a million years if it wasn't right there in front of me. What does it mean?)

I might be wrong but from it´s spelling it means :one horn , or having just one horn, (like a cyclops , one eye) Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:34 pm
Heh. It's a handle I made up my freshman year of college.

Cycloptic (I'm blind in one eye)
Horn (I graduated from University of Texas)

It just kinda stuck.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies