A 'Liberal With Sanity' Votes For Bush

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 03:41 pm
Why do Republicans equate the present situation with Hitler? You don't want us to invade Iraq? That means you would have refused to fight against Hitler. Absurd.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 03:54 pm
Ed (who's Ed?) sounds scared, which is fine, but I agree with the cyclop. We can't expect terrorism to go away by being an overwhelming bully.

Harsh criminal sentencing might lower the crime rate, but not by much. I'd bet the crime rate reacts to economic factors at least as much as sentencing guidelines. If we take back the tax cuts and put them into national efforts that help support our own poor, our public education programs, and into developing a better health-care system, I think our crime rates will go back down.

Same goes for fighting terrorism, I'd guess. If we could be tough on routing out terror networks AND be able to address the reasons WHY there are terror networks, that'd be the best method to use, imo. And, I think the democrats can do that better than the republicans.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 04:52 pm
I'm from NY (and happily long gone from there), and Ed Koch is far from being a "liberal." He can now speak at the GOP convention for all I care.

What a load of rubbish...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 05:33 pm
Kerry has voted for every gun control bill ever put on his desk. How is disarming the law abiding populace of the U.S. supposed to protect us from terrorists?

And also look at what the current crop of "leaders" the Democrats have. If you think Bush is a puppet just wait until you get Kerry.

What a load of rubbish...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 06:31 pm
cjhsa wrote:
just wait until you get Kerry.

Ah, so cjhsa thinks he's gonna win, too! Cool. :-)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:12 am
Oh, if it were only months ago, and we could have started all over again. I would have voted for any fiscally conservative Democrat with an ounce of sense in him.

I still have no real sense of Kerry. His entire campaign seems to revolve upon 4 months of military service, 30 years ago. Good grief. He has been in Congress for such a long time. You would think that he would have racked up some sort of a record of which he could base his campaign.

The sense that I am getting from people is not that they are voting for Kerry, because they think that he can do the job, but they are voting against Bush.

The expression, "Better the devil you know", keeps coming to mind.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:59 am
Let's just make it business. Suppose you hired a guy to run your company four years ago. First, he spends the enormous surplus you had built up by giving out bonuses to the top 2% of your employees while losing about a two and a half million job positions needed to keep your production strong. Meanwhile, he exposes your natural resources to his friends, cuts back on scientific research and arranges for other of his buddies to make big bucks rearranging the power grids of several of your subsidiaries. Worst than that, when confronted with a real and immediate threat, he attacks the wrong target, mostly out of personal history, declares victory way too early and manages to lose the tremendous goodwill engendered by the original attack by his obstinate and overbearing attitude and actions. On top of that, he doesn't think he's doing anything wrong, he can't think of a single mis-step he has made, this not according to rumors, but from his own mouth.

Today, with our financials stumbling along, the threat being handled better by other companies despite his administration's continued meddling* and the strongest members of his team expressing their desire for leaving after the first of the year, isn't it time to fire this guy?

A search committee has provided us with a strong candidate for his replacement. Polls show more than enough support for him and I recommend we make this move right as it starts to get cooler in Crawford.

Joe

* Britian recently had to race to arrest several Al-Queda members because the US was either too stupid to keep a name under wraps or needed to have something to show for it's efforts so exposed the name despite the consequences to the larger effort. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:05 am
Research him then, Phoenix!! Or ask me questions!

I dunno where you get your news, but he has a record that's easily accessible and that I have been reading about regularly. He has specific policies ready for if/when he takes office. A whole lot of that is about security, and it was arguably at his prompting that Bush has moved on 9/11 commission recommendations. Kerry said he would move immediately, and Bush, who has been dragging his feet to ludicrous extremes on all aspects of this -- the 9/11 commission itself, airport security, border security, etc., etc. -- suddenly said uh me too yeah I'm gonna do something about those recommendations eyep.

There's also an expression about the lesser of two evils...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:09 am
Kerry did do stuff in the senate, I dn't know why he hasn't touted his work. I'm surely sick and tired of hearing about his vietnam record and cen't fathom why he's leaning so heavily on it. BUT, that doesn't mean I won't vote for him. I definitely think he's up to the job of president.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:15 am
littlek, I think it's mostly because he's trying to do what will get support from swing voters. He knows he has a solid bloc of people who will vote for him, and those are the people who would be most affected by his voting record (consistently liberal.) One of a few issues swing voters seem to be most concerned about is security. And the whole been there done that medal-festooned gravitas thing nicely contrasts with Bush the party boy.

Meanwhile I have seen touting, it's just back to the soundbite thing -- if they know people/media only have patience for soundbites, they try to manage which soundbites are out there.

Anyway, the information is certainly out there a few clicks away -- Kerry's site, DNC site, etc.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:20 am
Quote:
The most basic responsibility of a president is defending our homeland.

We've seen some progress in making America more secure since September 11 - but there is still much more to be done. Today our government is not doing enough to make us safe. Our intelligence services remain fragmented and lack coordination. Our borders and ports are full of holes. Our chemical plants are vulnerable to attack. And across America, police officers, firefighters, and other first responders still lack the information, gear, and equipment to do their jobs safely and successfully.

America needs a new strategy for homeland security that takes steps as big as the threats we face. John Kerry and John Edwards have that strategy. They will do whatever it takes to make America safe - coordinate our intelligence agencies, take action on all key fronts, stand up for security whenever special interests stand in the way, and get the needed resources to the first responders who defend America every day.

John Kerry and John Edwards will offer a new security strategy that addresses five major challenges:

Track And Stop Terrorists
Many of the intelligence problems that allowed terrorists to slip into our country before 9/11 have not been addressed. John Kerry and John Edwards will improve our ability to gather, analyze, and share information so we can track down and stop terrorists before they cause harm.

Protect Our Borders And Shores
Today, our borders, our ports, and our airports are not as secure as they must be. John Kerry and John Edwards will make our airports, seaports, and borders more secure without intruding upon personal liberties.

Harden Vulnerable Targets
Chemical industry lobbying has kept the Bush administration from strengthening security at chemical plants, where an attack could endanger 1 million Americans. John Kerry and John Edwards will always put Americans' safety ahead of big business interests and take strong measures to harden likely targets-including nuclear plants, trains, and subways-against possible attack.

Improve Domestic Readiness
Our first defenders will respond to any attack with courage and heroism-but they also need the equipment and manpower to do the job. John Kerry and John Edwards will back up their words with resources and ensure that America's first responders have everything they need to protect their communities.

Guard Liberty.
We must always remember that terrorists do not just target our lives - they target our way of life. John Kerry and John Edwards believe in an America that is safe and free, and they will protect our personal liberties as well as our personal security.

I chose this 'cause of Phoenix, but lots here:

http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/homeland_security/
http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:21 am
Why isn't President Bush running on his military, business and governor's record? He's had a three plus year record of what? The "I hear you" line over the rubble of the WTC, maybe? Certainly not the no child left behind record. He needs remedial English classes himself.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:38 am
Didn't GW Bush have way less political experience before becoming president than Kerry does now?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:39 am
Oh WAY.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 09:49 am
right.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 09:50 am
But now he has 4 years experience to Kerry's zero years.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 09:53 am
He has presidential experience which Kerry hasn't got. But, I think he still has less time in public office.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 09:58 am
True, Kerry has 20 years being a Senator. Odd that he continues running on 4 months of service in Vietnam instead of the 20 he has spent serving the public trust.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:10 am
mcg has a point regarding Kerry's political history, actually I would like to know more about it. perhaps if we heard less about "demmunists" and "neo-cons" and more about both Bush and Kerry's actual offered solutions for the future on all the issues, we, the public, could make better choices. In the meantime we can listen to the media decide who has better credibility and not have to make any hard decisions for ourselves. sound bites and platitudes make great t.v. but lousy information. Personally I don't care to have the likes of Chris Mathews-Rush Limbough or Bill O'reilley telling me what I should think.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:17 am
sozobe wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
just wait until you get Kerry.

Ah, so cjhsa thinks he's gonna win, too! Cool. :-)

I knew someone would read that into that. I just think that democrats are voting for Kerry for all the wrong reasons. This "anybody but Bush" mantra wears thin quickly, and makes little sense when the alternative is presented.
0 Replies