I just had the most excruciating 9 hours ever....

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:01 pm
Edit [Moderator]: Moved from General to Life at Work.

I just started a second job this morning(6am) to help pay for my college. I was hired by a roofing company and we're capping a school. I've done lot's of roofing before, but nothing like this! We got one 10 minute break, and half an our for lunch, the rest was straight hard manual labour. I gotta work there again tomorrow morning, then leave early to get to my other job which finishes at 10pm. My muscles are sore sore sore, mainly my back. Do you think a hot bath in epsom salts might help me start off tomorrow not in pain?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,171 • Replies: 13
No top replies

panzade

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:10 pm
It'll help. But you'll be surprised how every day you'll feel better and better.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:13 pm
You're right panaze, or at least that's what i'm hoping, I havn't done carpentry or anything since last season. I'm a wee bit outta shape! But thats what I have to look forward to, money, and a nice bod!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:37 pm
SUFP
SUFP, just be sure to drink a lot of water. You may want to take potassium pills or drink something like Gator Aid that is high in potassium. You are working in hot sun on a highly heat reflecting surface that can dehydrate you really fast. Extra potassium will also help to prevent muscle cramps regardless of the cause.

Experienced roofers will tell you that inexperienced kids tend to drink a lot of soda and then they are barfing the rest of the day. Soft drinks are the worst thing you can drink working on a roof.

BBB
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:48 pm
Ouch, that sounds like a miserable job.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:01 pm
Sometimes the most miseable jobs are the best to tone up your body. Right?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:06 pm
One of my stepsons lasted 3/4 of a day as gofer for a roofing crew. The boss wouldn't let him quit until he'd carried all of the new shingles up the ladders.

He gained $60 and the realization that he was neither king nor crown prince of the universe.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 09:54 am
Some how I messed up on the time, it was 11 hours. Today I got to work and the one boss didn't make it to work(got drunk last night) and the other boss had no keys for anything, so I didn't really do much today except get outta bed for nothing. I got paid for 3 hours though, and I go to my other job at 2:30 this afternoon. I wasn't as sore as I thought i'd be this morning, more just burnt out. I was thinkin about going back to sleep for awhile, but that will probably just screw me up for sleeping tonight! Even though the job kinda sucks, I feel really good about being the only female on the site doing the same if not more work then the guys.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 12:02 pm
Stand up for...

You go, girl. Not all gold medals are handed out at the Olympics.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 12:08 pm
If there are any particularily tender muscles, I would suggest icing them first, and take a warm bath later with epsom salts, and if you have them, both oil of bergamot and oil of lavender are good relaxants. I'm glad to hear that this thread was job related, and not about you giving birth. Laughing
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 12:10 pm
HeHe Cav!!!!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 12:19 pm
SUFP - One day you'll look back with pride at the effort you put into earning your education. Though I know it is hard, I also know this will be an important part of your education for life.

I'm so glad college wasn't handed to me without any effort on my part, and I will be expecting my children to work through college, too.

You are building character AND muscle. You are learning so much more than those that just go to class and party. My hat's off to ya!

Respect!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 08:04 pm
From me too.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 10:13 am
Your right squinny, thanks! You too, osso!

Yesterday I worked my @ss off...lol...12 1/2 hours, but i'm not sore anymore much, and it's easier to get up in the morning. It's raining today, so of course we couldn't work, but I'm goin to my other job at 2:30, so thats cool, I get a little bit of a break and still make money today!
0 Replies