Don't step on the grass, Sam

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:05 pm
or damn, you would think they would be a bit more creative in denial of a permit:
Quote:
NEW YORK - An anti-war group planning a massive demonstration the day before the GOP convention asked a judge on Wednesday to overrule city officials and let protesters gather in Central Park.
Lawyers for the group, United for Peace and Justice, filed a lawsuit in State Supreme Court in Manhattan seeking an order prohibiting the city from denying the group use of the park and finding that the denial violated the state Constitution.
City officials say that the expected crowd at the Aug. 29 rally, which could exceed 250,000 people, would damage the grass.
But the lawsuit noted that the park has been used in the past such gatherings as a Paul Simon concert attended by 750,000 people, a papal Mass that drew 250,000 people and regular performances by the New York City Opera and the New York Philharmonic.
The Constitution was violated "by discriminating on the basis of content in allowing cultural but not political events," the group claims.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 674 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:37 pm
This has been an exceptionally wet summer. The grass in Central Park has probably never been so healthy, so able to tolerate human feet.

(Edited for spelling.)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 04:32 pm
Damn it stay home. Who needs you here to disrupt the lives of the people of this city. That for both the protesters and conventioneers.
. The convention is meaningless and the protestations fall on the deaf ears. Time, effort and funds would be better spent on some worthwhile pursuit.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 04:49 pm
I found it interesting that on the Sean Hannity radio program,he did an interview with a leader of the group "not in my name".
When he asked her if she would publicly call on her group,on his show,to not participate in,or instigate,any kind of violence during their "peace march",she flat out refused.
So,that leads to the conclusion that at least her group plans to use violence.

If the protesters get violent,IMHO the police should be authorized to use deadly force.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:43 pm
Deadly force. What kind of animal wants to kill fellow citizens? Hitler lives.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:44 pm
Mysteryman
Mysteryman wrote, "If the protesters get violent,IMHO the police should be authorized to use deadly force."

Really, deadly force means killing them in law enforcement parlance. Bad advice to a police officer. Loss of job and civil lawsuits could result.

BBB
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:50 pm
"They're walkin' on the goddam grass! Shoot em!"
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:55 pm
Blatham
Blatham, did you get the private message I sent you last week about C.I.?

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:55 pm
R-o-l-l a-n-o-t-h-e-r o-n-e j-u-s-t l-i-k-e t-h-e o-t-h-e-r o-n-e. and I think I'm down to seeds and stems again too.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 06:00 pm
Dys
Dys, when are you coming over to get the lawnmower?

BBB
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 06:03 pm
You know, perhaps mysteryman isn't a wacko on the subject of proper New York City parksboard ground maintenance policies. Kent State did focus the attention of those who weren't murdered.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 06:22 pm
Blatham
Blatham, up with the grass; down with the people!

BBB
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:13 pm
Well, just the people who are protesting, which is kind of un-American. But the Mayor is suggesting that the protestors are welcome indeed at the local malls and hotels. Consumption, the new model of patriotism.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:15 pm
A good model for us all.

Protestor, supporter, whatever; we are all consumers in the end. At least that's how it seems these days.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 08:37 pm
I don't condone violent protest, but, I can't recall an instance where these people killed anybody. As we all know, when the cops attack violent protestors, the go after the quiet ones, too. Shooting any means innocents would die too.
0 Replies