WESTERN TEXAS AND EASTERN NEW MEXICO

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 05:53 pm
This Spring, B. and I will will travel to San Antonio to see her brother. Then we may travel via U.S.87 NW to Lamesa to stay with friends. After that we will probably fly from Lubbock. Is there anything to see along U.S.87? What about the first 100 miles into New Mexico? (I know Carlsbad is nearby.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,938 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 06:42 pm
Carlsbad Caverns is interesting to see. I was stationed in Roswell back in the late fifties, so there'a probably been many changes during the past 45 years. While in San Antonio, do the river walk, see the Alamo, visit Fort Sam Houston, and visit the state museum. c.i.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 09:43 am
ML here are some links to Texas Hill Country close to San Antonio and Roswell, NM, Area 51 (The Truth Is Out There).

http://www.lone-star.net/mall/txtrails/johnson.htm

http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Kerrville/Kerrville_Texas.htm

http://www.roswell-usa.com/comm_info/attract.htm
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 02:44 pm
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 09:43 am
Austin is not far from where you'll be; state Capitol, LBJ Presidential museum, and lots of Texas food, music, and culture. Visit Sixth Street to get a sampling of this smorgasbord. If you're there one evening try not to miss the exodus of Mexican freetail bats from underneath Town Lake Bridge on their nightly mission to consume their weight in insects.

My favorite destination in the area is New Braunfels; it's got whitewater tubing on the Guadalupe River or lazy floats on the Comal (this would be a daylong affair if you were so inclined). A revived ghost town, Gruene (pronounced "green") lies just off the beaten path nearby; a gentrified 'downtown' has shops, bed-and-breakfast inns, a dance hall and a fine restaurant called the Grist Mill. Highly recommended. Or just pass through one of the small German communities in the Hill Country--Fredericksburg, Schulenburg; just check your map for an interestingly-named one--on your way out of San Antone toward the north and west.

Check the 'Net for the date of the Rattlesnake Roundup, in Sweetwater. Perhaps a bit out of your way to the northeast (it's on I-20 west of Abilene) but a don't-miss if it happens on your timeline. You can dine on serpent meat prepared a variety of ways, watch the snake rustlers milk, wrestle, and otherwise torment their captives, and purchase fascinating rattlesnake knick-knacks. Made from deceased rattlers, of course.

cicerone is right about Carlsbad but I suspect it is too far away from where you're going to take in. It's a good three hours west of Midland/Odessa, which seems well out of your (apparent) route.

Near Lamesa is a small town call Post, named after the breakfast cereal magnate C.W. Post. There's a tiny museum there that celebrates his contributions to Americana. An amusing 30-minute diversion as you meander your way to journey's end.

If you fancy Texas barbecue, there's almost none better than at the County Line, in Lubbock.

Enjoy the trip.
0 Replies

midnight

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 11:58 am
there is Palo Duro canyon about two hours North of Lubbock. Its pretty nifty but probably way out of the way. If you have time while in lubbock the Texas Tech Museum usually has an exhibit or two worth seeing and the university usually has something worth while going on. I live in lubbock so if you need a tour guid pm me and I'll give you my cell #. Along 87 there is plenty of dirt and flat land. If you can time it right try to catch the sunsets they are gorgeous out here. San Angelo has some decent restraunts. http://www.lubbockonline.com/around_town/ there is usually a link to a calendar of events in lubbock.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 10:50 am
This Wed. we fly out of Atlanta, to Houston, then San Antonio. After visiting with brother-in-law, we drive car NE on I10, N on 83, then NE on 87. This will take us pass Kerrville, Fredericksburg, San Angelo and on into Lemesa, TX. Four days in Lemesa with family friends and then on to Midland Inter. Airport for return flight.
BEST OF ALL, our friends are excited about seeing us. They left Georgia a few years back and have felt cut off from their folks.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 11:03 am
Watch out for the springtime tumbleweeds, Mape.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 01:10 pm
t u m b l e w e e d s....???
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 01:57 pm
Nah! Tumbleweeds are only lethal at the end of summer, when they break loose and go atumbling. This time of year, even the cows can eat them.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 01:05 am
Is this gathering anywhere near any of our national
parks? I'd love to see some of the beautiful desert
area also. What is there to do that is nature
oriented?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 07:24 am
There are a number of national parks near Albuquerque.

Checkout the Western Gathering Thread for more information on the Albuquerque Gathering on 23-24MAY.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 03:04 am
Near Canyon, Texas is a 100,000 acre park...beautiful canyon and a top-notch museum in nearby Canyon. I now have a feel for western Texas...nothing like being their in person.
0 Replies