Dispatches From DC?

jimnass

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 02:34 pm
Blacksmith, why not try answering?
Blacksmith,

nice try! how about telling us the several scenarios where you would support american intervention?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 02:45 pm
I'm not sure why you care so much, but some that spring immediately to mind are:

1) The inspectors discover the erstwhile secret chemical stockpile or covert nuclear program that the administration so quiveringly anticipates.

2) Saddam attacks or invades a neighboring country.

3) Actual, real, concrete, verifiable evidence of Iraqi involvement with Al Qaeda is produced.

Do I pass your rather bizarre patriotism test?

Now share with us what it is exactly that you think Iraq could do to avoid the impending invasion.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 02:49 pm
Blacksmith:

The problem is that 1 or 3 could easily be manufactured by Bush and the corporate media would surely parrot it without questioning.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 02:51 pm
jimnass says
Quote:
Thanks for admitting there is no scenario you support America in its battle against Iraqi terrorism!

Iraqi terrorism, have you seen or heard any proof of Iraqi terrorism? Aside from Bush and Blair who keep trumpeting it none has been shown. I should remind you that the altercation with Iraq was never because of terrorism but over WMD's and no doubt the mid eastern oil supply.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 04:34 pm
This is an amazing thread.

Thanks to those who braved the cold and exercised their right as a citizen to lawful protest.

Isn't it a tad strange - in this age where it is said that a satellite can read the face of a quarter from space - we can't get an accurate headcount of a protest in DC?

I especially liked the comment about McKinney's voice being silenced, being one of the last progressive, outspoken Democrats. Look for Governor Dean to be attacked in similar manner, if his campaign ever takes on momentum.

And after more than a decade, rather than listen to what Sharpton is saying, it is still so much easier to talk about Tawana Brawley, isn't it?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 04:50 pm
Neoguin, you are no doubt correct that 1 & 3 could be manufactured. I'm inclined to believe, however, that if they could have done it, they would have done it by now. Shrub & Co. have signalled from the get-go that they want a war. IMO, if they thought manufactured evidence would've passed muster with the rest of the world, we'd be involved in the Siege of Baghdad by now.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 08:55 pm
snood wrote:
This is an amazing thread.

Thanks to those who braved the cold and exercised their right as a citizen to lawful protest.

Isn't it a tad strange - in this age where it is said that a satellite can read the face of a quarter from space - we can't get an accurate headcount of a protest in DC?

I especially liked the comment about McKinney's voice being silenced, being one of the last progressive, outspoken Democrats. Look for Governor Dean to be attacked in similar manner, if his campaign ever takes on momentum.

And after more than a decade, rather than listen to what Sharpton is saying, it is still so much easier to talk about Tawana Brawley, isn't it?

It wasn't that cold--of course I'm used to the cold. It was about 30-35 degrees, and we were moving most of the time!

Also, think about it, if there were an accurate count--it may show the extent of the opposition!

Alas, McKinney did NOT mention any of that, which is why her speech disappointed me, and I still see Sharpton as a demogogue. He just happened to give a good speech, of course he may have basically been preaching to the choir as well.

But unless those people take their message and communicate it to others and officials--all we did was make a LOT of noise.
0 Replies

jimnass

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 06:16 am
It would be funny if it wasnt so sad
blacksmtih,

thanks for finally answering, but since you and neo feel that the administration would lie about such things, it more than shows your true mindset. Hussein's failure to live up to the treaty ending the gulf war mean nothing, violation of UN resolutions mean nothing, the fact that iraq had to show how it disarmed and has failed to do so means nothing to you. Its clear you trust hussein more than george bush. You belive or want to belive that he has no weapons of masss destruction, though the UN thinks otherwise.

Is it your hatred of america or of george bush that leads you to this point? I am glad that useful fools as yourself are in such a small minority - your need to support and march with stalinists shows your concern for peace and human rights. your need to support the butcher of bagdad shows your true colors. again, at least in america, you are allowed to express your thoughts, just imagine if you were in iraq and differed with hussein.
0 Replies

jimnass

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 06:19 am
Neo, I'm still waiting
Neo,

I was hopeful you would answer my questions as you promised. I'm looking forward to them!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 06:58 am
Man, nobody has to prove his patriotism to anyone else here, and I wish I could go one day without hearing someone accuse someone else of "hating America". That crap is so old.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 07:28 am
Jim:

There was a bit of a delay in the proceedings; my car is running but is about to throw a rod--it only has 166,000+ miles, and at least 2 previous owners.

I hope to be on the road again in a car of my own in about a week or so. I need to get financing, etc.

I will get to your questions, fear not.
0 Replies

jimnass

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 08:16 am
Neo, looking forward to it!
Neo,

good luck with the car, mine was towed to the shop this morning, so i know the feeling.

See you soon
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 08:23 am
Might I respectfully suggest that people re-read the rules of this forum.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 08:30 am
Apparently, jimnass feels it unnecessary to respond to the question of an "America hating fool."

And yes, it would be nice if some folks read and understood the forum rules wouldn't it?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 08:32 am
A peace movement
that's going nowhere

'A broad cross-section of America." That's how National Public Radio's reporter described the anti-war protesters who converged Saturday on the Mall in Washington.The New York Times agreed. Its editorial page called the gathering "impressive for the obvious mainstream roots of the marchers."I watched the march on C-SPAN, and I saw a different event - a thin crowd of cold white people cheering on an assortment of America-hating radicals, second-rate demagogues and plain weirdos.The rally was kicked off by a Native American activist, Moonanum James, who set the day's tone by accusing the U.S. of genocide and ended his oration with this exhortation: "In the spirit of Crazy Horse, no more war!" (I'm not making that up.)
For those who attended what do you think of the authors assessment?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_opinions/story/53535p-50171c.html
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 08:48 am
Ladies and gentlemen, might I direct your collective attention to this forum's debate guidelines? They may be found here: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2594

Thank you.
0 Replies

jimnass

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:15 am
blacksmith, a bit sensitive, huh?
blacksmith,

i don't really have the time nor the inclination to go over the history of stalinism and the techniques used by stalinists...if you knew of it, you would know what the term like "useful fool" is.

when you called my questions "bizarre" i didn't go run to my room and cry, but its a habit i have seen many times with illiberals - so it was expected.

as for america hating, what else would one call someone who trusts saddam hussein, but not george bush? someone who trusts iraq but not america? one who doesn't care about a terrorist state breaking treaties, helping terrorists (oh, i've forgotten, its only the palestinians, they don't count as terrorists in your mind, maybe because they are killing mostly innocent israelis? i'm not sure you never explained!) violating UN resolutions time after time after time.
0 Replies

jimnass

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:19 am
AU, looks like an accurate column
au,

i didn't attend the "peace" rally, but from what i saw and heard on TV, the radio and from friends in DC, the column is an accurate description!!
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:58 am
Well isn't NY Daily News part of Rupert Murdoch's attempt to create a true "Right-Wing" media empire.

I don't think it is at all. I don't remember any folk singers, of course I was part of the group that left the Mall at about 1:00PM.

I see this as another attempt by those who stand to PROFIT from any war on Iraq to try and paint anyone who opposes it as "Anti-American". Sad--because this may be exactly what our enemies want.

Also I wonder how Murdoch and the rest of the AM-Radio press will try and "tar and feather" the February 15th rally in NYC!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 10:03 am
My, my. So angry and yet so non-responsive. I was kind enough to respond to your questions, please be so good as to return the favor.

As for your nonsensical blather about Stalinism and trusting Saddam, please try not to project your own prejudices too far. I don't trust Saddam any more than I trust Shrub, but unlike you I refuse to endorse bloodshed without cause.

And by the way, your little "test" of my patriotism was bizarre and, apparently, rather pointless since you've chosen to ignore it after I responded.

Now, let's see if you can provide a coherent response sans the childish namecalling.
0 Replies