Are open and close inverted commas needed?

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 05:58 am
The Daishonin's father, Mikuni no Taifu, had the following dream:

Bodhisattva Kokuzo, who represents the wisdom of the universe, appeared before him. The Bodhisattva carried a handsome boy on his shoulder. He told the husband, ‘This child is Bodhisattva Jogyo for us. He is also Shozai Makasatta (the Bodhisattva who produces treasures). He was predicted to be a great leader to save all people. I will grant this lovely boy to you.”

Are open inverted commas needed before Bodhisattva and are close inverted commas needed after 'you'. If so, should it be you'." or you.''' in British English.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 698 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 06:24 am
No, they are not necessarily needed, although it would not be wrong to use them. If Mikuni no Taifu, who had the dream, were to describe it, then you would need the quotation marks.

In the United States, one says quotation marks, rather than inverted commas. My experience of books printed in the UK is that a single inverted comma is used to begin and to end a quotation. If another quotation is embedded in the first quotation, or if one wishes to signalize a word with quotation marks/inverted commas, the British usage would be to use double inverted commas.

Bill then said: 'You can imagine my surprise when she remarked: "That's because I'm pregnant." It was quite a shock to me.'

Lucy asked us: 'Did he really say "bollocks" to the constable?'

American usage is the reverse:

Bill then said: "You can imagine my surprise when she remarked: 'That's because I'm pregnant.' It was quite a shock to me."

Lucy asked us: "Did he really say 'bollocks' to the constable?"
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 06:40 am
@Setanta,
Thanks, Setanta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 07:10 am
You're welcome.
0 Replies