Moving to US, taking acting lessons, auditioning and hoping to make ends meet.

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 02:44 pm
Hello!

Quick introduction about myself. Im 17, still in high school, physically active(PE classes and basketball training, sometimes go to the gym), really like singing and I can play a few instruments(electric guitar, bass guitar, drum). I haven't taken any acting classes, because that's not an option where I live, but I have acted before. I've acted in a few plays and been a part of an improvising group in which I did pretty good(not coming from me, but the ones who were guiding us).
I've always liked acting, was it for a play or just in front of friends. The thought of acting has been in my mind for over several years now. But just a few months ago I started taking this thing more seriously and have done a bit of research to all of this. The fact that I don't live in the US(~7hr flight) makes it a bit more complicated as I want to move to the US and start acting/taking lessons in English not in my native tongue. I'm currently in somewhat of a early-life crisis because soon I'm bound to make a career choice. I'm more than ready to take all the classes I need to get rid of my accent and to polish my acting skills.
Considering that I've read about actings ups and downs I'm ready to face all the things that face me in my way. I'm aware of the fact that I most certainly will not become a star overnight and that I have to work really hard to achieve my goals. The only thing I'm most scared about is finacial problems. Where do I sleep? How do I pay my rent and bills and what can I eat? How can I find myself an agent that gets me jobs but doesn't ask too much money in doing so? Should I fly to the US and start my career there or should I just stay in my country and start it here?
I'm hoping to get some answers and decisions whether I should take the step of moving to US or not. If something was unclear just write me a question, I'll most definetely answer it! All critic and questions are welcome because I really need closure.

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,816 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 04:41 pm
Can you just fly to the USA from where you live? Wouldn't you need a visa to live and work there?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 07:44 pm
@Doe John,
You're going to need to be able to support yourself while you're studying.

What job / career do you have that will take care of that for you?

Is there someplace closer to your home where you could start your English and acting classes?
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 12:30 am
Do you know which acting school you want to go to?
Will you as a 17 year old be albe to support yourself in USA?
How about visa to work and study in USA - it is not always you can combine those two.
If you live in Europe - how about London. There are some good acting schools - the best known RADA, If you are an EU citizen you do not need a visa.
0 Replies

Doe John

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 02:38 pm
Before You read my answer I just want You to know that I didn't intend to be arrogant although in some sentences it seems that way!

Yes, there's one thing I didn't ask about - visa, but there's a reason for that. I don't want to worry too much as there are actually several other things I need to take care of before I actually fly to the US. That's why I talked about my main problems.

I'm good with technology such as computers but I've also got a good amount of experience on music, especially with guitars. Be that as it may, I don't want to be sleep deprived 24/7 as it may kill my will to pursue this dream. That being said, I still know that my career won't just be handed to me and there will be a lot of ups and downs before I achieve my goals. That's why Im being picky and hoping to choose the right way to support my studying - because I don't want my road to be only downs.

There are acting schools here and I was actually planning to attend one after I finish high school. I haven't researched about English much yet but I do know that they teach it in college. Considering this I'd either have to study for half of a workday and the other I'd be acting because I don't know if they have acting classes in a college. This is said without much of research into my country's colleges. I'll get on it!

Yes, I've also considered taking acting classes in London as I am an EU citizen. I've read about RADA and about other acting/film academys but how can I decide which one is the most appropriate for me?

Thank You for Your answers and decisions! It has shed some light on my path and it was definetely good to these things out of my chest.
saab

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 01:20 am
@Doe John,
First try to apply to theatre schools on London - the trip is cheaper.
I think your application has to be there before February. You will be called to an audition. The school will decide if they want you.
Also you can do the same in USA and first go over as a tourist and have an audition.
About 90% of all actors are out of work. That is for UK as well as USA.
You cannot work half day and act half day. There are rehearsel often before the play.
Rehearsel before the play starts is often not even at the theatre but somewhere else. In London it can be 1-2 hours away from where you live.
After your education you often have to be actor without getting paid or getting paid very little just to get a name.
0 Replies