Why are the olympics always so god-awful boring?

Letty

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 12:30 pm
Wenchy. Where in the world have you been? That is one beautiful horse, outclassed only by the lovely lady astride. Is that you?
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 12:36 pm
i wish that was me on him Cool

that's lisa wilcox one of our dressage team competitors on Relevant

here's another of our team : Robert Dover & FBW Kennedy

http://www.horsesdaily.com/photos/2002/02weg/dressage/jorgensen-5569.jpg

i wouldnt mind a side order of robert either Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 02:27 pm
Wenchilla -- are you a dressage rider? Those are gorgeous horses!

I haven't watched any of the equestrian games.

Letty -- here's what my daughter and I might be saying to each other as we looked at those horses.
Quote:
That first horse's spine is (as it should be) slightly curved around the rider's left leg. How much of that is in response the rider's tilting head? She must also be looking at something - since we know the rider is supposed to sit entirely still and straight. Relevant's head is perfect, nice soft eyes & mouth, ears showing his attention is strictly on the rider, but he seems relaxed despite that obviously difficult maneuver. Of course, he's a chestnut (most of the best dressage horses are). Her wrists are cupped (do you see?), she's holding him back and he's being submissive, but he hasn't yet dropped the line of his face behind the vertical, so he'd move out on his next stride if he could. He has to be doing a piaffe (standing trot), just look at that tail. They are practicing, since she is not in full regalia and he's wearing bandages.

The next horse is slightly behind the vertical and the rider's wrists show that. He would prefer going forward and doesn't like that half-pass -- see how the left rein is pressing against the neck and the right is opening, while the right hind leg seems to be coming in with that extended trot... he's two-tracking. Note... another chestnut!! Very Happy Very Happy We LOVE to watch.

<sigh> According to this editorial, some think that the Olympic dressage is going downhill (though it is sweet to read that the horses still soldier "stoically on."

Here's a nice action shot of the first horse -- see how great the same rider's spine is lined up with her horse's? Wow. Just beautiful and so correct. That's a pair of wonderful athletes.
http://www.phelpsphotos.com/copyrightPhotos/15046.jpg

How can anybody think this is boring?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 02:33 pm
I don't really watch the Olympics either. Not that the USA basketball team is giving me much reason to, either.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 02:34 pm
Wow! Shop talk, Piffka, but I did take another look to see how the dialogue matched up with the rider.

The first time I rode was a little Pinto pony and I did not know how to canter. Naturally my butt was sore for a few days. My daughter sat a horse like a champion. It was simply natural for her.
0 Replies

Jack Webb

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 05:45 pm
Few athletes in the Olympics have recognition by Americans.
There probably is some unknown group(s) somewhere that follow candidates preparing for the Olympic games. No idea who they are or why they do it. There is no universal, standard competition in the world to accurately assure the best athletes in their respective sport make it to The Olympic Village. None. This is just from my point of view as an American.

Heading into the games I hear snatches of things like where they will be held, an occasional unknown name is dropped now and then. Before you know it NBC is covering the Olympics and few people (Americans anyway) seem interested, especially this time around with so many vacant seats there are now rumors that tickets are being given away. The seats are still empty.

The only interests the Olympics ever held for me was during the Cold War when we competed against countries in the Soviet Block in boxing. And of course many times the Marines won, only to be told they lost by some referee from lower Slobovia.

Now we have a 10th rate scrub, basketball team that got roundly beaten by Puerto Rico? (I'm not kidding, Puerto Rico!). I take a gander at some of the women in these events and some of them look pretty tired as in "been through the mill of life" not as in seriously training for their events. These are the "Olympians."

To put it another way: I just believe the Olympics is just a foolish sporting event paid for mostly by the United States to humor Europeans and Third World Countries. A big BASH that nobody in their right mind takes seriously. A United Nations all-star event, A GOODWILL event, hands across the sea, love your neighbor, make love not war. Yeah, there you go that's the Olympics. :wink:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 07:58 pm
Letty -- Did the dialog match? My daughter is a good rider and has practiced a lot, but my son was a natural -- deep seat, long legs, steady hands. But is he interested? Nah

Slappy -- I think it is freaky that the basketball team can be so losing so badly.

Jack Webb -- I think different sports have different requirements for training. You can shoot a gun and be much more out of shape then if you are a swimmer. Maybe that's the reason for the "tired" women you are seeing. Do you have the figures on how much the US supports the Olympics? Since when are sporting events NOT foolish?
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 08:17 pm
piffka

I'm a low level eventer so i have the basics of dressage down.
I certainly can see the merit in the critiscms of competitive dressage - even incorporated into my own riding and showing - almost ironic you have to suit your style to the judge's taste.

olympic level equestrian events are a nice treat especially considering its so rarely available any other time on tv
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 08:26 pm
Dudes,
There's beach volleyball going on in the Olympics.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040817/capt.olyvbb11608172050.greece_olympics_beach_volleyball_olyvbb116.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040815/capt.olyvbb14808151935.greece_olympics_beach_volleyball_olyvbb148.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040815/capt.olyvbb14408151823.greece_olympics_beach_volleyball_olyvbb144.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040814/capt.olyvbb14008141817.greece_olympics_beach_volleyball_olyvbb140.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:51 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/08/20/200804toon,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:51 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/08/20/200804toon,0.jpg
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:45 am
wenchilina wrote:
piffka

I'm a low level eventer so i have the basics of dressage down.
I certainly can see the merit in the critiscms of competitive dressage - even incorporated into my own riding and showing - almost ironic you have to suit your style to the judge's taste.

olympic level equestrian events are a nice treat especially considering its so rarely available any other time on tv

Cool, Wenchilla! Three-day eventing is a great sport. Most people have no idea how wild cross-country can be.

As for the Grand Prix events in the Olympics -- if only they'd just let us see them all. I always wanted to do a musical kur to Peaches en Regalia (by Frank Zappa). Of course, I didn't really have the talent or the horse, but sigh... I could dream. Even a low-level dressage horse that can move in response to your leg, extend and collect would be great.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 12:12 pm
Korea should have defeated Hamm by 0.051 of a point!
'Course, this kind of Olympics BS can make you crazy....

Quote:
The South Korean Olympic team will ask the Court of Arbitration for Sports to determine if Yang deserves a gold medal.

"We want obvious mistakes to be corrected," said Jae Soon-yoo, an official with the South Korean delegation.

The error Wednesday cost Yang a tenth of a point on his parallel bars score that made the difference between third and first.

South Korea failed to lodge a protest during the event, so the scoring was not changed, said the federation, known as FIG. The South Koreans, however, said they did question the scoring as soon as the routine was over and were told by the judges to file a protest letter after the meet, Jae said.

If the mistake hadn't been made, Hamm would have won the silver and South Korea's Kim Dae-eun would have received the bronze instead of silver. USA Gymnastics president Bob Colarossi compared the mistake to a bad call in football that wasn't discovered until after the game. He insisted the decision by gymnastics' governing body should not put an asterisk on Hamm's gold medal.

Hamm scored 9.837 on parallel bars and high bar to close the meet, rallying from 12th place to first and becoming the first American man to win the event.

"Paul Hamm's performance the other night was absolutely incredible," Colarossi said. "It's unfortunate the judges didn't have the right start value."

<Start Value?>
A start value is based on the difficulty of the routine. Yang received a start value of 9.9 on parallel bars, a tenth lower than he got for the same routine in team qualifying and finals.

After reviewing a tape of the all-around, federation officials determined Yang should have been awarded a start value of 10. With the extra 0.10, he would have finished with 57.874 points and defeated Hamm by 0.051.

Omigod... can't they keep this stuff straight? How many officials does it take to get it right?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:06 am
Well. Anyone still watching Olympics? Very Happy

I had a chance to see the first round of the individual show-jumping this morning. They're saying that a wind coming up through the stadium is helping knock down rails that are on "flat sockets." Some very bad scores. The last rider, an American, Beezie Madden, used her crop on the long water jump and then dropped it. A mistake (I thought, seeing that she was riding with a snaffle bit. It seemed like overkill.) As it turned out, either the slap bothered the horse, or he shied a bit at the drop... she knocked down the next three rails. What a bummer. She'd been riding clear all week and with one that last rail dropped, didn't even make it to the second round.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:13 am
Piffka wrote:
Anyone still watching Olympics?

yes, look at the Olympics thread. Smile

It's a matter of taste,of course, if the Olympics are boring or not. For me are these game more than okay.

On Sunday the Games end.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:38 pm
Chill out pnut, you're giving our Aussies a bad name.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:39 pm
Peaches en Regalia..hmmm that would be a tough score.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 10:18 pm
Re: the games
pnut wrote:
It was even better to see your basketball team not get a medal at all.

The American men's basketball team won the bronze medal.
0 Replies

pnut

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:58 am
Re: the games
smog wrote:
pnut wrote:
It was even better to see your basketball team not get a medal at all.

The American men's basketball team won the bronze medal.

you shold be so proud of them Razz
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 10:47 pm
panzade wrote:
Peaches en Regalia..hmmm that would be a tough score.

I love that song, Panzade, always have. When I started riding it seemed like a natural for a musical ride. <sigh>
0 Replies