Why are the olympics always so god-awful boring?

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 03:57 pm
I don't know why, but I just don't give a damn about the olympics at all. It doesn't do a thing for me at all. I think it's because they don't have olympic bowling or bridge. Now that would be exciting. Laughing

I watched the opening ceremonies to see if there were any hot Saudi Arabian women competing, but sadly, for some strange reason, there are no Saudi women in the games! Shocked :wink:

Anyway, are you like me, in that you have absolutely no interest in the games at all?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,026 • Replies: 45
No top replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 04:24 pm
I have no interest in sports, period!
I have no interest in the Olympics. I have no interest in sports, period.

My man, on the other hand, loves sports.

However, we have a rule in our home: "No sports on the television that I watch!" (Guess who made the rule!) I can't stand the roar of the crowd. When I was a child, I had to listen to sports nonstop in a one television household while my father napped on the couch. If any of us would go to change the channel, my father would arise from his snoring nap and proclaim, "I was watching that!"

My man respects my hate for sports on television. If he wants to watch, he goes to the back bedroom and watches so that I won't be bothered by that horrible noise.

He did beg me to please let him watch the American swimmer on the big television. We watched. I saw the American beat the world record and win the Gold (with another American winning the Silver).

Sure. I'm proud of them! Now, let's turn the channel.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 04:27 pm
Re: I have no interest in sports, period!
Debra_Law wrote:
When I was a child, I had to listen to sports nonstop in a one television household while my father napped on the couch. If any of us would go to change the channel, my father would arise from his snoring nap and proclaim, "I was watching that!"

That sounds just like what my grandfather used to do with Westerns. I always wondered how he could watch it with his eyes closed. Laughing
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 04:47 pm
Actually, I'd say that I'm bordering on being addicted to the Olympics right now, and I'm not even a very big sports fan normally. But, the Olympics make me feel all global and international or something...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 05:36 pm
I've only watched a tiny bit, and that was by accident -- waiting room at car dealership slash mechanic's -- but that was actually really good. Like, you're done? Oh. Is it OK if we stay a little longer? -good. It was women's volleyball, USA vs. Germany. The very end of the match (last 15-20 minutes or so), amazing stuff going on. Those women can JUMP!! And just a lot of interesting-looking personalities.

It was really close, USA pulled it off at the end.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 05:37 pm
Sometimes the Olympics even makes me wish I had a TV
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 05:47 pm
i can only take it in small doses -- like in between innings of a baseball game -- and only the summer olympics. i'd rather watch paint dry than get stuck with the winter version...
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:05 pm
But the winter version has curling, the best sport ever. It is my dream to someday learn how to curl.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:02 pm
Funny you should say that.While visiting my parents in Vancouver I actually sat through a 2 hour curling competition. It was fascinating.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:25 pm
Panzade wrote:
I actually sat through a 2 hour curling competition. It was fascinating.

I always get a kick out of those people that race along the ice with their brooms and furiously sweep the little ice particles.

http://www.imperialdoughnut.freeserve.co.uk/blogpics/220202-1.jpg

I can imagaine this conversation...

"So, what do you do?"

"I'm a world class athlete"

"Oh, really! What type?"

"I run down the ice with a little broom and sweep small ice particles from the path of an enormous metal object with a handle on top"

"Get out! And never, ever call me again!"
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:24 am
Curling is so precise and calculated, though. The brushing, while it may look funny, is very important and varies more than you would think. I have tremendous respect for all the people who can become world-class curlers, since it takes so much patience and concentration. (Although, I know you were just kidding around, gus.)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 04:25 am
Kickycan, this may surprise you but I have a theory about why the Olympics seems boring. They are too good at what they do, all those 9.546 scores one after another, it's difficult to see the difference between one vault and another. And the swimmers zoom through the water like salmon, they are almost too perfect.

So, here's my thought and I used my actual brain to come up with this,
NBC needs to insert footage of regular guys and gals doing the same stuff.

Me, swimming the 200 meter, "He has to stop again, Al, this time he says there's water in his goggles."

Kickycan on the pommel horse: "He's going to have to do more than wave his arms and yell 'giddyup' to get points from the judges." "Yes, but this way he avoids landing on one of handles again, what's that injury called?" "The athletes refer to it as 'Adam's tears and Eve's sorrow'."

Gus runs the mile: "Someone get out there and tell that jerk it was the ANCIENT Greeks who ran naked."

Eva does the vault : "Wow, that time she stuck the landing with her ass!."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 08:37 am
That I'd watch! Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 08:51 am
In my world, the Olympics, the World Series, the Super Bowl, and various and sundry other sporting events pass me right by. If it weren't advertised so much, I wouldn't even be aware that the Olympics were happening.

I think that my atttitude has to do with my first husband, who used to spend his evenings and weekends watching one game on TV, and listening to another on the radio......at the same time! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 09:00 am
I love to watch the opening ceremonies of the games. It charges me up to see all the different groups showing pride in themselves. It is so human. I like to see the costumes they've chosen and how there are some of those world-class athletes who look a little embarassed or shy, some who are hamming it up for the camera. The Greeks outdid themselves -- I was so glad for them.

I think Joe is right that the differences between most of the performances are so slight that the competition becomes mechanical and the winners are based on the tiniest fractions of a second. Even that, though, has a silver-lining. We aren't so different from each other.

My favorite is watching the equestrian events, especially the dressage finals. I love the connection between horse and rider. I used to ride dressage-trained horses and know what a thrill it is to have a well-trained horse move in response to a small request.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 09:15 am
I declare, Piffka, you continue to amaze me at the things you can do.

When the olympics air, the only thing that I think of is Jim Thorpe, and how horribly mistreated he was.

I used to watch a little of the NASCAR, but only because I was expected to do so since it was an invite to a party. The last one that I saw, Dale Ernhart was killed, and we didn't even know it until we got home.

Not a sports fan at all.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 04:35 pm
Letty! You're the one with all the talent! All I did was take some riding lessons. Yes, I have a horse, but she doesn't like to be ridden -- she's just a big, awkward puppy-dog. (sigh) You'd be much less amazed. I'm impressed that you were invited to a special Nascar party. Sounds very luxe. I am sorry that it had to be the time Dale Ernhart died -- that WOULD put you off of sports.

There was another mistreatment, I thought, during the Olympics opening ceremonies last Friday. When Israel came into the stadium and was announced, the incredibly large crowd which had been cheering wildly for everyone, got strangely quiet. I thought it was terribly rude.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 06:29 am
Good morning sports fans.

Piffka, Thanks for the kind remark. I always wanted a horse when I was a kid; had to settle for a bike instead. Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 12:07 pm
Well they both need saddles, Letty... unless you're a horse like Pearl. THen you just need to look cute.

It was surprisingly difficult to find any media reporting about the, to me, shocking disrespect shown to Israel at the opening ceremonies. When I did, I realized that the Americans, whom I thought were receiving a warm welcome, were being booed in European fashion.

Miami Herald article

Quote:
Though the Games are supposed to avoid politics, and International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge talked of the world needing ''peace, tolerance and brotherhood,'' political undertones were evident during the athletes' procession. Palestine, Iraq and Afghanistan were greeted with loud cheers. Israel was not. The United States, which instructed its athletes to march in order and tone down overly patriotic antics, initially received a warm welcome, but the cheers were soon mixed with whistles, Europe's equivalent of boos.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 12:16 pm
Piffka wrote:
My favorite is watching the equestrian events, especially the dressage finals. I love the connection between horse and rider. I used to ride dressage-trained horses and know what a thrill it is to have a well-trained horse move in response to a small request.

Agreed. to be able to see grand prix level dressage horses on HD is more than a treat ( grr@not having bravo ). Should be, as always, a spectacular display

one of our beasts, Relevant
http://www.equs.fsnet.co.uk/Gallery/gimages/Relevant%20in%20piaffe.jpg

edited as i pasted the wrong link
0 Replies