Muslims in Brussels

gollum

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 09:16 am
When and why did so many Muslims enter Brussels?

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 10:38 am
I expect they bought railroad tickets just like the Christians, Jews, Hindus and Buddhists.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 11:17 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

To get to the other side?
gollum

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 11:48 am
@tsarstepan,
funny
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 12:26 pm
What exactly is your point here, Gollum?
gollum

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 02:01 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs-

I guess there was a decision years ago to allow a large number of Moroccan immigrants to the country.

I was wondering if this is true, if so who decided it and he/she/they did so?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 02:16 pm
@gollum,
In 2007, the Moroccan immigrants became the largets group in Belgium - before it were the Italians.

In the early 60s of the 20th century, Morocco made a recruitment agreement with Germany, France, Holland and Belgium, opening the labour market.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 03:31 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

What's "so many"? As many as in NYCity? As many as in Boston?

As many as in Cambridge, Ma?? Now that's a winner!

gollum

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 05:09 pm
@Miller,
Miller-

Thank you.

Moslems constitute 23.6% of the population of Brussels.

Islam is estimated to be the religion of between 600,000 and 1,000,000 people in New York City. New York City has 8,000,000 to 9,000,000 persons.

Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, and Hinduism collectively make up about 10% of Boston's population.

Cambridge, MA - I give up.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 02:25 am
@gollum,
Quote:
Moslems constitute 23.6% of the population of Brussels.

Some estimates put that at 15% or lower, and even then that may include assimilated people who don't actually believe in the Muslim religion. The truth is nobody knows for sure. You will get scaremongers pushing it up.

Since gathering of ethnic or religious census information is illegal in Belgium, any figure purporting to be the Muslim fraction of the Brussels population must be a guess, and needs to be subjected to examination. One fact is that 70% of the population of Brussels is of foreign origin. A 2008 estimate showed that 6% of the Belgian population as a whole was "Muslim", but this was criticised by, among others, the Government General Direction of Statistics and Economical Information. Reasons for criticism included that it failed to take account of people from Muslim countries who had naturalised as Belgians but had later left or died, and that it included people from those countries who weren't even Muslims (e.g. Turkish Assyrian Christians).
gollum

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 08:05 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs-

Thank you.

I accept that the 23.6% figure that I cited is an estimate and the actual figure is unknowable and may well be lower than 23.6%.

That said, did Muslims from undeveloped states immigrate in mass and concentrate in one area? Is that what helps to induce these Muslims (as contrasted to American Muslims), to stay rooted in their own language and customs instead of adopting ours?

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 08:27 am
@gollum,
An interesting perspective......,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3507086/Why-no-one-admit-way-western-Muslims-raise-children-fomenting-terror.html

About the author....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasmin_Alibhai-Brown
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 10:56 am
@gollum,
Quote:
Is that what helps to induce these Muslims (as contrasted to American Muslims), to stay rooted in their own language and customs instead of adopting ours?

You don't know how many Belgian Muslims "stay rooted" in language and customs. Neither do I.
gollum

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 11:12 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
True.
0 Replies