Written in capital letters is...

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 07:53 pm
"IN GOD WE TRUST" on the back of dollar bills of the U.S.'s. Why is it there to begin with Question Who decided for that phrase to go on there Question What was their reason behind it?

All of us in the U.S. dont trust in God. All of us in the U.S. dont trust in some made up God from some liars written material, you know Question Therefore shouldn't "IN GOD WE TRUST" be removed from the paper money of the U.S. to be more correct Question

Isn't "God" as church which should be seperate from state Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,057 • Replies: 16
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 07:56 pm
Stop using it if you don't like it. Canadian money can be used most places.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 07:58 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Well, most places in Canada, at any rate.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:00 pm
It's not written anywhere on my credit card.
0 Replies

TheTruth

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:57 pm
Get over it, I am an atheist and don't give a ****.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 09:46 pm
Does it really do harm to see it there? Besides it just isn't Christianity that beleives in God it is also the Jews and the Muslims say that Allah is the same god so right there you have 3 religions that are supported by God. Get over it, it isn't a big deal.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:35 am
If "In God We Trust" was the only religious relic that Americans would have to deal with, it would be no biggie.

I just become livid when science is hampered from doing stem cell research, based on religious constraints. I also get very angry when the powers-that-be attempt to interfere with a woman's choice, also based on a fundamentalist Christian idea of morality. I also find that I am incensed when gay couples, attempting to live in peace as married folks, are hampered by some religious based ideas of an appropriate couple.

As far as I am concerned, "In God We Trust".............all others pay cash! Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:40 am
McGentrix wrote:

Funny story, I was mugged in New York as a teenager and when they found I only had Canadian money, they said "go in that store and change it." I told them to F off.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:17 am
Religous constraints on open heart surgery were violated and how many lives do you suppose that has saved?

"In God We Trust." Who is "We?" The bankers?
It really denotes not to trust any human hand.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:18 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
As far as I am concerned, "In God We Trust".............all others pay cash! Laughing

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:46 am
G.O.D. stands for "good old dollar". In good old dollar we trust.
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:56 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
If "In God We Trust" was the only religious relic that Americans would have to deal with, it would be no biggie.

I just become livid when science is hampered from doing stem cell research, based on religious constraints. I also get very angry when the powers-that-be attempt to interfere with a woman's choice, also based on a fundamentalist Christian idea of morality. I also find that I am incensed when gay couples, attempting to live in peace as married folks, are hampered by some religious based ideas of an appropriate couple.

Pheonix - What about the babies right to be born? Or the fathers right to have a kid? What about those of us that don't want our marriages "cheapened" by a homo sexual marriage. If it is just a word, call it a civil union and get over it. Do they really want the same rights or do they want special rights. That is the problem that I have. Women do not have to sign up for selective service when they turn 18. Women cannot be drafted. White people do not gain the benefit of the NAACP or any other group that is designed to help the "less fortunate."

As a white male, I am probably the most "oppressed" person on the face of the planet. A woman says I sexually harassed her, guess what, until I hire a lawyer and spend thousands of dollars proving I didn't, I am guilty in the eyes of society. Even after that, people will always be curious as to whether I got off on a technicallity.

Do I have a problem with women voting - nope as long as they use their brains to decide and not their emotions. But then again, that goes for anyone. Do I have a problem with women in the military or in the work place? Nope, not as long as they are expected to perform the exact same duties as a man and then they should receive equal pay.

So go on talking about a womans rights to choose. In this country - women have far more "rights" than the men.

FLAME ON!!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 12:07 pm
Back to topic, for those interested on the history of the "In God We Trust" motto, here is the treasury dept. link to that info.

http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-trust.html

Just a FYI.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 12:14 pm
I guess back then, closer in time to the founding fathers than we are now, they had no doubt that acknowledging God was different than establishing a religion. Thank God we are so much more knowledgable about what the Constitution really means re religion and government.
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 12:42 pm
I think it is unfortunate that children cannot say the pledge of allegiance just because of the words "Under God". I think it is unfortunate that a group of students cannot go in to the corner for a morning prayer because one atheist/muslim/jew/hindu etc ad nauseum gets offended. I think it is unfortunate that the word God has such a negative impact on people. Wouldn't the world be a much better place if we could truly let words go?

People get offended because some one says something that they don't like. Guess what - Life is rough - build a bridge and get over it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 01:17 pm
It's mostly the parents that get offended, most kids could care less.
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 01:25 pm
I agree with that, unfortunately it is the kids that loose out. It is the parents that get up and arms when in all actuality kids truly do just want to be kids.
0 Replies