Want to help break a record? (formerly June 6, 2004)

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:01 am
All of this unhappiness is making me sad.

Cheer up A2Kers.

a hug from me to you

http://www.bluemountain.com/display.pd?path=35983&bfrom=1&prodnum=3043567&
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:04 am
Now how sweet is that?!

:-D
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:09 am
Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:04 pm
jpin wrote:
What happened June 6, 2004 @ 11:21pm that would cause 891 people (the biggest total ever according to the info at the bottom of the index page) to all be on A2K at the same time? Whenever I've been on it has been around 125 people.

Perhaps we could start a movement to break the old record. A mass meeting of sorts on A2K and blow that 891 mark out of the water.
was just about to log out, when i noticed the # of people online was (i kid you not) 1,021... Shocked .. Very Happy
Rockhead

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:06 pm
@Region Philbis,
610 now, but that's still uber high...
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:13 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

was just about to log out, when i noticed the # of people online was (i kid you not) 1,021... Shocked .. Very Happy

It was even higher earlier. The search engines were let back in.

Thing is, the session cutoff is now longer than before (so that you don't get logged out as easily), so people online count for longer. It's a bit different of a statistic because of that.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It's at 2,006 for me right now, I've seen it higher but don't remember what it was exactly.

I'd estimate that that translates into about 600 on the old system's way of counting.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 03:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
5,012 . at last glance... Shocked
jespah

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 05:17 pm
@Region Philbis,
5251 @ 717 PM tonight
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 01:43 am
@Region Philbis,
We had a chance to tweak the online count, and have made it a lot more meaningful by filtering out multiple sessions by bots. Bots don't use cookies so they used to inflate the numbers, but now we limit all guest sessions to one ip for the online count, and no matter how many pages a bot visits it will show up as one online user per ip.

The last few days have all been records in traffic because the funny signs topic was submitted to stumbleupon (if you want ridiculous traffic to your topics stumble them, if they are good you may see a lot of visitors, over 20,000 a day some of these days) but the online number looked like any day with lots of search bots.

Now, the people online number has a lot more meaning, and if you see a big number up there that will almost always (there are some ways I can imagine around it but I've never seen them happen) represent a human spike and not any bot activity. The last software, and our previous way of counting sessions on this software had a lot more bot traffic inflation to that number than we have now, so expect smaller numbers and if they are large, then something's going on for real this time. So if anyone still wants to keep count, let's reset the record keeping and only count records after today.
mac11

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 08:11 pm
@Robert Gentel,
When I notice the count, it's usually in the 400s these days. It's 495 at the moment.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 12:00 pm

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 01:14 pm
@Region Philbis,

0 Replies