.....be sure to let us know!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,138 • Replies: 16
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 12:22 pm
According to that quiz I am a libertarian. But considering that the quiz is sponsored by the Libertarian party...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 12:34 pm
Erm, yeah...I don't give it much credit really.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 12:39 pm
Just a heads up...the quiz put me as "left-liberal"...

So it's obviously not trying to sell too hard the libertarians too much.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 12:48 pm
I was 'left-liberal' as well. 'Libertarian' is, of course, the only proper political party name on the map however.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 01:00 pm
So, I've been perusing their site and it looks like libertarians are a marriage between reps and dems. Like reps, they are anti-tax and pro-gun. And, well I guess not really like dems, they are pro legalized drugs and open immigration. Interesting.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 01:01 pm
Centrist, ha ha!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 01:22 pm
I took it and found out that I'm a hermaphrodite. Who knew?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 01:24 pm
kickycan wrote:

Sounds like I got off easy.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 01:27 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Sounds like I got off easy.

kickcan wrote:

Sounds like Kicky's got that area of the market covered too Brandon Wink
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 01:28 pm
kickycan wrote:

Hah!
0 Replies

Tailbone

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 02:06 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
So, I've been perusing their site and it looks like libertarians are a marriage between reps and dems. Like reps, they are anti-tax and pro-gun. And, well I guess not really like dems, they are pro legalized drugs and open immigration. Interesting.

Not so strange really, when you consider the fact that the "Libertarian" philosophy is one of personal freedom and responsibility.

Basically, as I understand it, "Libertarians" believe that government is needed only for common defense and enforcement of the rights of the individual to be unmolested in the pursuit of personal choice. The fundamental right of all humans is the right to freely express choice as long as they don't violate the right of others to do the same
Thus, If I choose to "do drugs", it's my business and not that of anyone else. If I choose to own a firearm....that too is my business.

Hmmmm, am I democrat or republican?

I suppose If I were to label my personal philosophy, I'd have to call myself libertarian - but that doesn't accurately define my politics or personal philosophy as I am pragmatist enough to realize that without a greater role of the federal government, there would be no interstate highways to facilitate travel across the great expanse of the central plains (to understand this statement you will have to understand libertarian thinking on the free market). My "pragmatic " understanding of the need for services not affordable in a completely free market imply the necessity of taxes...and to some degree, I pay these without resentment. However, as I feel the government has opted to provide too much (and require too much of me - in terms of taxation) I resent the amount I pay.

Does my willingness to pay for highways make me a democrat?
Does my resentment at overtaxation make me a republican?

These are just labels. labels are a convenient way of absolving ourselves of further definition, closer scrutiny, introspection.

The value of this little "test" is not in identifying the labels we ascribe to ourselves, or defining our political philosophies, but more as an invitation to look more closely at who we really are.

Quote:
'Libertarian' is, of course, the only proper political party name on the map however.

Perhaps the labels "Republican" and "Democrat" are no longer useful descriptions of political philosophy. Perhaps we'd all be better served by the "Conservative", "Liberal", & "Libertarian" parties. :wink:

Nah, I don't think any two people would agree on the meaning of any of these labels. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

TheTruth

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 05:21 pm
libertarian
This quiz was really slanted but maybe not because I consider myself a libertarian.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 05:39 pm
I took it again and apparently I'm a terrorist who supports Bush.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:21 am
I also came out as a Libertarian.
0 Replies

Tailbone

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:23 am
cavfancier wrote:
Erm, yeah...I don't give it much credit really.

IS THE QUIZ A TRICK? Â…AND OTHER CRITICISMS OF, AND QUESTIONS ABOUT, THE QUIZ

Isn't this just a trick to get people to score "libertarian" - even if they're not libertarians at all -- so they'll think they're libertarians and support libertarian causes?
The number of people who've scored libertarian on your Web Quiz seems way out of proportion to what I'd expect. Isn't this an indication that the Quiz is flawed, inaccurate, or is just a trick to get people to score libertarian?
Doesn't the fact that the Quiz is used as an outreach tool by some libertarians mean that it isn't objective or accurate, and therefore has no real scholarly or practical value?
What about "Framing Bias?"
Are these leading questions? Do they avoid the hard issues?
The "Weed-Out" questions.
The "Invisible Question."
Why just 10 questions? Wouldn't more questions produce more accurate scores? Wouldn't longer questions, with more details, be better?
Why THOSE 10 questions and issues? Why not some other issues?
What about foreign policy? Why isn't there a section on this important issue in the Quiz?
Is something wrong with your counter? I noticed the number on it, took the Quiz, and when I checked back, the number hadn't increased at all. Then later I noticed the number had jumped by a huge number. What gives?

Pie Chart of results
FAQ
Endorsements
hope-for-homeless
Washington Post

Lest I be accused of some political agenda.......

I don't care whether any of you think as I do - and therefore have no motivation to persuade.
I visit here because I wish to view the opinions of those more intelligent and articulate than that which is so ubiquitous on the internet (the folks who participate in this forum appear to be intelligent, articulate, and thoughtful).
I observe the intellectual discourse on this forum as a means to avoid the filters of nationalistic media.....and am especially interested in the commentary of non-U.S. participants.

I posted this quiz only because so many on this board seem to have labeled themselves (directly or indirectly) as "liberal" or "conservative", when in fact they may be neither.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:46 pm
I'm Left Liberal.

Quote:
Left-Liberals generally embrace freedom of choice in personal matters, but support central decision-making in economics. They want the government to help the disadvantaged in the name of fairness. Liberals tend to tolerate social diversity, but work for what they might describe as "economic equality."

I couldn't agree more!
0 Replies