When will Marco Rubio give up his candidacy?

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 07:27 am
Macro Rubio completely bombed last night just as he has completely bombed in just about every other primary. I figure he loses Florida and then calls it a night. He looks good in a suit, speaks well, but has no real accomplishments and has backed away from his own immigration reform. He might have been the future of the party, but that was the party that was, not the party that is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,062 • Replies: 21
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 07:29 am
@engineer,
Article saying that Rubio has no path to winning outright.

Quote:
There were Republican contests Tuesday in Mississippi, Michigan, Idaho and Hawaii. In the lower 48, Rubio's defeat was total. Donald Trump won Mississippi early in the night, finishing ahead of Rubio for the 19th time in 21 tries this primary season. Trump won Michigan. Trump or Cruz will win Idaho. (Hawaii, where Rubio has his best chance of pulling out his third win of 2016, won't report votes until early Wednesday Eastern time.)

But it was the nature of Tuesday night's losses that really hurt Rubio. He won less than 10 percent of the vote in both Mississippi and Michigan, significantly less than he was showing in public polls just a few weeks ago. That suggests a collapse in his support. And in the crucial contest for delegates, he likely got shut out in the two biggest states. If early results hold, it's likely he'll receive zero of Mississippi's 40 delegates -- and zero of Michigan's 59. He's in danger of being shut out of Idaho's 32 delegates, as well.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 07:32 am
@engineer,
Quote:
speaks well
i find his speech impediment distracting...
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 07:42 am
He'd be a fool. Trump ain't there yet. And Cruz is even worse. If those two lock the convention it may be a selection of the most popular second choice. He and Kasich need to hang in.
engineer

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 07:43 am
@bobsal u1553115,
If he wins Florida, he can make an argument. If he loses Florida, we are in a death spiral on the Republican side. I do agree though, Cruz is worse than Trump.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 07:49 am
@engineer,
He's not going to drop out. He knows he can't win. Can't remember where I heard this theory (mentioned this week) but it makes sense.

Kasich and he are working with the establishment Republicans to leech delegates from Trump so he can't win enough delegates to get the automatic party nomination. This strategy is being used to prevent the seemingly inevitable Trump nomination and allow the party to vote for another candidate at the actual convention.
snood

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 08:14 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

If he wins Florida, he can make an argument. If he loses Florida, we are in a death spiral on the Republican side. I do agree though, Cruz is worse than Trump.

Man, I agree. But it feels like comparing a fresh cow pie to a days-old cow pie.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 08:56 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Kasich and he are working with the establishment Republicans to leech delegates from Trump so he can't win enough delegates to get the automatic party nomination. This strategy is being used to prevent the seemingly inevitable Trump nomination and allow the party to vote for another candidate at the actual convention.

What do you think republicans will do if Trump goes into the convention heavily favored by the republican electorate but then is denied the nomination?
rosborne979

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 08:58 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
He might have been the future of the party, but that was the party that was, not the party that is.

That seems to sum it up.

The Republican Electorate doesn't seem to be what the Republican Leadership is telling them they are. I think the Republican party is going to have to come to grips with the reality of what their electorate is.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 09:00 am
@rosborne979,
They're shooting their foot in so many ways. Trump gets the nomination? Party shoots self in foot. Trump doesn't get nomination? He's not sticking with that nonbinding party pledge. He has an insane amount of momentum and he's going independent. He'll be the far right version of Ralf Nader. Republican Part shoots self in other foot.

Hindsight being 20/20, the Republican Party shouldn't have allowed Trump in the race for the Republican nomination in the first place. He might have not gained all this success and media exposure as an independent candidate.
engineer

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 09:04 am
@rosborne979,
That is the real risk for Republicans. 40% of the people vote for Trump but someone who got 20% of the vote gets the nomination? I could see Trump deciding to run as an independent and creating a total mess in the electoral college. It might even push the race to the House.
snood

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 09:17 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
the Republican Party shouldn't have allowed Trump in the race for the Republican nomination in the first place.

You mean, they could have just said no and spared us all this? Who knew?
rosborne979

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 09:24 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
That is the real risk for Republicans. 40% of the people vote for Trump but someone who got 20% of the vote gets the nomination? I could see Trump deciding to run as an independent and creating a total mess in the electoral college. It might even push the race to the House.

I agree. I don't see Trump giving up the race if he doesn't get the nomination. That would be way out of character for him, so I assume he would plow ahead in some form even if he didn't get the nomination. And I suspect at that point he would obliterate anyone the Republican Convention put up. The electorate would be incensed that their choice had been ignored and I bet they would drive the cart right off the cliff rather than accept a less popular candidate.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 09:40 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
They're shooting their foot in so many ways.

This is a lot like the problems the Democrats had in 1968. I think eventually the Party Line deviates from the wishes of the Electorate and needs to be adjusted, and I think that's a good thing. But it's going to cause a lot of angst within the power structures. But I think that's kind of what Democracy is all about.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 11:33 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I figure he loses Florida and then calls it a night.

Same here.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 11:34 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
You mean, they could have just said no and spared us all this? Who knew?

I was wondering that too. I am not aware of either the Democratic or Republican Party having any mechanism in place to prevent people from running for office.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 11:57 am
@oralloy,
I'm sure they couldn't force anyone not to run. But if they had resisted his effort sooner in the process they might have been able to stop the snowball before it got too big to stop. It looks like it's too late now.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 12:30 pm
@rosborne979,
Yes. Their very last chance to defeat Trump was to get behind Rubio in New Hampshire. As soon as they didn't do that, it was all over.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 02:56 pm
I'm in agreement with both rosborne and Oralloy at the same time! Hope this isn't a sign of the apocalypse, or anything.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2016 08:16 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
I'm in agreement with both rosborne and Oralloy at the same time!

Uh oh. Now I'm worried Wink
0 Replies