Does carnivorism really corrupt the human body and psyche?

Amoh5

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 11:25 am
Maybe, who knows?

However, I did google this topic and found apologists for and against carnivorism in humans. The one side talking about carnivorism as an evolutionary necessity for the brain, and the other saying that it is an unethical unnatural dietary misconception.

I made my own test of this idea when my doctor told me that my blood pressure, cholestrol and sugar levels were unusually high. So I thought I'd try a non-meat diet for a month. When I returned to my doctor after a month for another examination she said I was fine. Yes I agree, I do need to do the test again just to make sure it wasn't something else that caused my body to be fine. However, from my premature experiment I did think that maybe meat heightens conditions or ailments in the body?

I also read another google article on "human carnivore aggression which said that meat can heighten a person's temperament inducing extreme emotional behaviour and ideas. Maybe thats where the vampires and werewolves come in? LOL... But seriously it is an interesting theory.

I also read a biblical article by creation.com on the fall of man in the Garden of Eden where carnivorism was a sin from the fall. Man and animals were no longer vegetarians and at peace with each other like before the fall. Maybe it wasn't an apple or a fig that Eve gave to Adam, maybe it was a piece of meat? Allegorical stories do have a lot of hidden messages.

Anyway I have continued with a non-meat diet hoping to get more positive results. I am not an animal lover just health conscious as I am not getting any younger. So I do like to explore different ideas on health benefits. Yes; I am aware of the vitamin B12 issue with vegetarians. I hate the word "vegetarian" because it sounds so boring, like one just eats grass or something. I eat all non-meat foods like veges, fruit, eggs, dairy, grains, ice-cream, cakes etc etc all except any white or red meat and seafood.

But I can't help thinking, if people had to do their own meat kills, like cutting the animals throat or whatever, gutting it and boning it out etc. which isn't a very pretty or angelic process, there'd be a lot of human vegetarians in our society I would think...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,142 • Replies: 41
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 11:38 am
@Amoh5,
Amoh5 wrote:
But I can't help thinking, if people had to do their own meat kills, like cutting the animals throat or whatever, gutting it and boning it out etc. which isn't a very pretty or angelic process, there'd be a lot of human vegetarians in our society I would think...

That's exactly what we did for eons, and this is where we are. From a nature and evolutionary point of view, our ancestors (way back before agriculture) lived very different lives than we do now and probably had different nutritional needs. Our ancient ancestors rarely lived past 30 years old and spent most of their day walking and running and hunting and foraging and trying to eat and not get eaten. Our digestive system and dentition are well suited for a balanced omnivorous diet, although due to lifestyle, I suspect that our ancestors would have benefited from more protein and fats than we (adults) need today given that our sedentary time is probably 90% to 95% greater than it was in the past.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 11:39 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
if people had to do their own meat kills
Yea Amoh, esp Porky. With friendly disposition and intelligence of a 3-year-old humanoid it's a wonder how we treat 'em

Just 'cause we consider 'em ugly
Amoh5

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 11:48 am
@dalehileman,
I think its because they consider porky tasting good, esp roasted. But I'm an old meat eater and I know how addictive the taste can be
Amoh5

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 11:51 am
@rosborne979,
So your answer would be no to the discussion question?
rosborne979

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 12:25 pm
@Amoh5,
Amoh5 wrote:
So your answer would be no to the discussion question?

Correct.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 12:38 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
they consider porky tasting good, esp roasted
I do relish morning bacon
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 12:45 pm
There are those who allege that meat-eating was what allowed our ancestors to spread out in the world, as a belly-full of meat will keep you going for quite a while. Certainly meat-eating allowed the ancestors of the Europeans to survive the brutal winters of the ice ages. Properly stored, meat could feed them through the winter and into the "starving time" of spring.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 12:58 pm
Meat is evil.

'Oliver!'

'Come; you let me out!' replied Oliver, from the inside.

'Do you know this here voice, Oliver?' said Mr. Bumble.

'Yes,' replied Oliver.

'Ain't you afraid of it, sir? Ain't you a-trembling while I speak, sir?' said Mr. Bumble.

'No!' replied Oliver, boldly.

An answer so different from the one he had expected to elicit, and was in the habit of receiving, staggered Mr. Bumble not a little. He stepped back from the keyhole; drew himself up to his full height; and looked from one to another of the three bystanders, in mute astonishment.

'Oh, you know, Mr. Bumble, he must be mad,' said Mrs. Sowerberry.

'No boy in half his senses could venture to speak so to you.'

'It's not Madness, ma'am,' replied Mr. Bumble, after a few moments of deep meditation. 'It's Meat.'

'What?' exclaimed Mrs. Sowerberry.

'Meat, ma'am, meat,' replied Bumble, with stern emphasis. 'You've over-fed him, ma'am. You've raised a artificial soul and spirit in him, ma'am unbecoming a person of his condition: as the board, Mrs. Sowerberry, who are practical philosophers, will tell you. What have paupers to do with soul or spirit? It's quite enough that we let 'em have live bodies. If you had kept the boy on gruel, ma'am, this would never have happened.'

'Dear, dear!' ejaculated Mrs. Sowerberry, piously raising her eyes to the kitchen ceiling: 'this comes of being liberal!'

The liberality of Mrs. Sowerberry to Oliver, had consisted of a profuse bestowal upon him of all the dirty odds and ends which nobody else would eat; so there was a great deal of meekness and self-devotion in her voluntarily remaining under Mr. Bumble's heavy accusation. Of which, to do her justice, she was wholly innocent, in thought, word, or deed.

'Ah!' said Mr. Bumble, when the lady brought her eyes down to earth again; 'the only thing that can be done now, that I know of, is to leave him in the cellar for a day or so, till he's a little starved down; and then to take him out, and keep him on gruel all through the apprenticeship. He comes of a bad family. Excitable natures, Mrs. Sowerberry! Both the nurse and doctor said, that that mother of his made her way here, against difficulties and pain that would have killed any well-disposed woman, weeks before.'
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 01:04 pm
Evidence for Meat-Eating by Early Humans--a discussion of the evolutionary value of meat eating.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 02:07 pm
@Amoh5,
Someone somewhere had mentioned an "evolutionary value," suggesting that if there's a God, then She must think carn is okay

Still I wonder about the pig. Isn't the fact that we don't usu eat our own kids based on their intelligence; but what if they were ugly as Porky
Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 02:16 pm
A Modest Proposal
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 02:31 pm
@dalehileman,
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did He make them so tasty?
dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 02:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
why did He make them so tasty?
To tempt us, Max, don't you suppose
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 03:03 pm
@maxdancona,
Not only that, but it is clear that God must hate the Jews because he forbid them to eat the tastiest animal of all.
Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 03:12 pm
Shellfish, too . . .

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

"But wait a bit," the Oysters cried,
"Before we have our chat;
For some of us are out of breath,
And all of us are fat!"
"No hurry!" said the Carpenter.
They thanked him much for that.

"A loaf of bread," the Walrus said,
"Is what we chiefly need:
Pepper and vinegar besides
Are very good indeed--
Now if you're ready, Oysters dear,
We can begin to feed."

"But not on us!" the Oysters cried,
Turning a little blue.
"After such kindness, that would be
A dismal thing to do!"
"The night is fine," the Walrus said.
"Do you admire the view?

"It was so kind of you to come!
And you are very nice!"
The Carpenter said nothing but
"Cut us another slice:
I wish you were not quite so deaf--
I've had to ask you twice!"

"It seems a shame," the Walrus said,
"To play them such a trick,
After we've brought them out so far,
And made them trot so quick!"
The Carpenter said nothing but
"The butter's spread too thick!"

"I weep for you," the Walrus said:
"I deeply sympathize."
With sobs and tears he sorted out
Those of the largest size,
Holding his pocket-handkerchief
Before his streaming eyes.

"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 05:22 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Not only that, but it is clear that God must hate the Jews because he forbid them to eat the tastiest animal of all.

If you are making reference to the pig, then you might want to include a billion Muslims in your analysis? Do the math/logic and your God must only love Christians. Who wouldn't love a gullible population that believed whatever they were told. In my sarcastic opinion only.

Wait! He can also love a billion Chinese. If for nothing else then for their slimness and intelligence.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 05:42 pm
@Foofie,
I do love me some pork fried rice.. 2 thumbs up for the Chinese.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 12:16 pm
@Leadfoot,
Yea Foot, and if She exists, let's thank her for the bacon too
Amoh5

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2016 02:06 am
@dalehileman,
Sorry Dale, Mother Earth doesn't grow bacon she only grows plants so you'll have to thank your local butcher...