How to: water colors

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:05 pm
Your are cracklin me up here - you posted while I was editing my post.
0 Replies

sodabred

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 05:12 pm
mastering w/c is mastering draftsmanship. Try all paper including bond paper, (wrinkled as well) everyone has a paper,cold pressed or hot,rough or smooth. Read Watercolor Fares Forth Surprised'hara Look at books on various watercolor artist. Try to use color from 20th century masters..Klee, Matisse,Bonnard the triumvirate of interesting colorists. Try various amounts of water with pigment,see Marin he gives simple instructions ..similar to this. I believe in studying the formal possibilities and then developing subject matter.Many just copy and follow the direction of the big watercolor competions.Most transparent only exhibitions eliminate experimental work because they limit the drawing to pencil work.The British were using various drawing implements in the 18th century..quill,reed pen,metal points. Canneletto would have been eliminated under ther rules.
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:29 pm
Sodabred, how cool!!! Tomorrow I go after the w/c's. Thanks so much for the inspiration!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 09:30 pm
Sodabred, great name, glad to meet you here. Interesting post on watercolor history, re Canaletto...
0 Replies

Bluxx

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 03:10 am
Experimentation! I find that combining water color and acrylic can be quite interesting. lol.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 03:51 pm
watercolors
bluxx, taking your comment seriously, which medium do you (should one) apply first?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 06:06 pm
Im hooked on these Sennelier WCs . I like their fine granularity and their pigmentation strength. I personally have never found acrylic (as a water medium) satisfying because its too grainy for me. Is there a really finely ground acrylic out there?

My delving in to egg tempera has made me realize 2 things

TUPPERWARE IS ACTUALLY TOO AVANT GARDE FOR GENERAL USE BY ANYONE OTHER THAN ARTISTS WHO WISH TO PRESERVE BIG BATCHES OF TEMPERA

I NEED TO RAISE SOME MORE CHICKENS CUZ IM GOIN THROUGH EGGS LIKE SHERMAN THROUGH GEORGIA
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 07:14 pm
bless you Farmerman; "Sherman through Georgia"!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 07:55 pm
The famerman said a really cool artist yolk.
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 10:38 pm
I am just tickled that the tupperware in my cabinet is Avant-Garde; putting away left overs now has new significance for me!
0 Replies

Bluxx

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 04:29 am
Hmmm...Watercolor. Being that watercolor is less likely to stick to the acrylic...well, thats been my experience. Paint pens work well on top of Acrylic.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 05:09 pm
People worry toooo much about the 'correct' way to use watercolour - i like to use oil pastel marks as a wax resist, then slosh water colour over, use pen, chinagraph pencil ...... anything that makes the image work.

Jeanne Dobie wrote a great book on colour that relates to watercolour - Making Color Sing - well worth studying. Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 07:13 pm
Excellent advice vivien. Ive found that most of my secret watercolor practices were total accidents and Ive ALWAYS written them down in a w/c journal. Its like my own personal necromancibus satanis.
Ive found that the tricks you mentioned to develop kakamamy resists. I even use paint sticks for furniture ding repair. These are like a dark pallette of thick crayolas. Another trick in doing extreme real paintings is to develop the sketches in complementary colors so that when I begin the infilling with washes, there is a complementary color on the outline of the subject that makes it stand out.
Ive been doing some very wet watercolors of "street people" from Philadelphia. I take photos then I project the photo to hasten my drawing time and adjust the importance of the subject with its entourage. I just completed one that Im going to enter in the AWS show, its of a street man pushing his shopping cart full of boxes and one big umbrella. I hope the jury is kind.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 05:40 am
hi farmerman - have you got a website? would love to see some of your work. (you can see mine on my website) It sounds interesting.

what do you paint? landscapes?

I also like to use normal pastels (chalky type) on top of watercolour sometimes - just a bit to intesify things.

Very Happy
0 Replies

sodabred

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 03:38 pm
watercolors can be a great medium. I have received invites to show at some watercolor competitions.I put them in the wastebasket. They specify that there is to be no embossment ,no ink, no this,no that.Just reactionary ,retrograde approaches to the medium. You may use pencil. As a start ,but it must be used in subordination to transparent watercolor. Actually, this is not a solid way to paint.Some people did this in other mediums as well . But, good line quality should be flowing ,and it works better if you add it after you have divided the support by areas.Inspiration for other approaches, Pollocks wtcrs. Miro's wtclrs.He had a very important period in waterclor and they laid the foundation for some major canvases.Want to do something for watercolor. Don't send to the California painting competitions etc. that emphasize technique.Years ago the Washington Waterclor Club and the Birmingham Ala. Museum held exhibitions and they included new experimental works.The fun of art is in breaking rules. Yes , lads and lassies rules are to be broken. That is why we do it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 04:47 pm
full agreement there sodabred. the Phila w/c club shows are among the most anal about subordinate media. however,in the recent past, I snuck a few past the jurors.

no Vivien i dont yet have a personal webpage. When i finally get the time to do so I hope Ill be interested in doing one.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 05:26 pm
wc
I also agree wholeheartedly, Sodabred. When I see "catalogs" of the winnners of such WC competitions, I see, with rare exception, nothing but technically competent but soul-less works. They do have a certain superficial (and quickly boring) aesthetic appeal--at the level of "pretty". But they are mostly just sweet pictures, not living images with powerful personalities. No evidence of incautious experimentation or expressiveness--too anal (thanks FM).
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:56 pm
jlnobody, farmerman and sodabread

I totally agree with you. Luckily i haven't come across any predjudice when showing work - but i hear a lot of people discussing 'pure' watercolour and insisting that it shouldn't be mixed with gouache or other media - as though this is some 'superior' rather than inadequate method Shocked

They are not creating paintings but insipid pictures, safe, predictable and totally uninspiring.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 04:01 pm
wcs
Vivien Smile
0 Replies