How to: water colors

kayla

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 07:56 am
My first watercolor teacher taught us to soaK our paper in the bath tub and then secure it to the board using tape or staples. Lonnnng process, especially for the novice. It intimidated me to no end. I didn't do watercolor for years after that. Then I found an extraordinary teacher who got me jazzed on watercolor. I found some really good books at the used book store that helped me as well. If your time is limited, doing color grids, etc is a good way of learning technique as well.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 09:12 am
Great idea kayla I need insturction on technique and process and I have never though of checking the used book stores. Thank you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 09:13 am
color grids?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 09:25 am
I know me too Lil'k Laughing
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 10:23 am
Ah, a thread after my own heart, though these days I have few opportunities to paint.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 06:19 pm
Today I took the time to go to the used book store to pick up some much needed art books. I choose three all for great prices but guess what? There were three whole shelves on books on water color techniques, yikes. I did not get even one I think I will ask kayla what book would be the best for beginners.
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 08:22 pm
The book I have at home is "Transparent Watercolor Wheel,"by Jim Kosvanec. Don't be frightened by the intensely wonderful work in the book. He has a very good section for beginners and one should always look at good stuff. I will send the other title tomorrow. That book is up at my studio. It has great pictures as well. By grid I mean take primary colors and run lines down the page. Wait for them to dry and then run the primaries horizontally over the dried colors. You'll get an idea of how the colors look together. You can do it with wet paint as well. You can try blending all kinds of colors. Let your mind go crazy. The most important thing I learned from my favorite teacher was that there are no rules. Don't treat technique as dogma. The ideas in the books are only guidelines. Pick a book that is easy for you to connect with. Play, have fun. It's only paint and paper.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 08:23 pm
Kayla - good points!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 08:29 pm
Ah ha a color chart, thanks Kayla. No rules I can do that.
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 08:30 pm
I forgot an important point. My first watercolor teacher told me that it was impossible to make mud. Boy did I prove her wrong. I did a monochrome from a picture of my daughter sitting on stoop. My daughter made me feel so guilty that I finally tore the damn thing up. Aside from my fantastic second watercolor teacher, the other artists in the class were my best mentors. Everytime I saw a really fine painting, I would ask the artist, "How did you do that?" Good artists are never afraid to share. I learned so much from them. Another great thing about watercolor is that it is not only invigorating, but calming as well. A truly euphoric experience.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 08:31 pm
watercolor
Like many people, I've always been a bit afraid of watercolors. One must have an idea in advance of execution or end up with slobber. I took a class in watercolors last year, but one other student and myself asked and received permission to work in acrylics instead. Since they are both water-based we were able to comply with some of the assignments, but with fluid acrylics. I must admit, Kayla's words DO inspire confidence.
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 07:45 am
A fellow artist told me that he had read in the Guardian I believe, David Hockney has done a very big piece in watercolor. I will research this and try to find a photo. I must admit that one of the reasons I took the watercolor class was due to my very poor sense of color. I wanted to become more savvy with my paint. I treat the exercises like homework hoping that, in time, it will be like riding a bicycle. You just get on and go. I'm sure that most of the principles of wc pertain to acrylics as well. Oh I have a funny, short story to share with all of you. Recently I noticed a very strange smell in my studio. I couldn't quite figure out what it was. I cleaned my room, searching all over for the source. My friend, a florist, came up and sniffed. She said she thought it was old bread or something. I joked that my studio had a yeast infection. Well I finally found the culprit. No dead animal or food. Old paint! In one of my drawers I found some very old acrylics. Sad to say I had to throw them out. I guess the moral to the story is "if you don't paint consistently, you start to stink."
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 08:16 am
I found an article on the Hockney watercolors. www.annelyjudafineart.co.uk Interesting
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 01:13 pm
hockney
Thanks, Kayla, for the wonderful website. Yes, the wcs are marvelous. I liked them more than his oils and acrylics.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 04:57 pm
Kayla I agree this is a wonderful website, thank you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 05:11 pm
Very cool!

In terms of fear of watercolor, let me just say that I was almost entirely self-taught, (art school came after I'd already figured out most of it) and love the stuff. Don't worry about what you're "supposed" to do, just experiment.
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 09:15 am
How is everyone doing with the wc's? I'm doing a series for my next show. Any good hints on fun techniques?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 09:34 am
I used watercolor pencils last weekend. made a weird picture of my cat. I dunno how I feel about them.

Can you show us some of your work, Kayla?
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 09:25 pm
The gallery web site is down at the moment, but my computer buddy will be around this weekend and I'll see if she can show me how to send them. Watercolor pencils are fun. My students use them all the time. I want to play with them as soon as I get this oil painting done. Oil is so slooooow!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 10:01 pm
I hate slow!
0 Replies