How to know the true God

cicerone imposter

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 04:45 pm
@Leadfoot,
It seems miracles and UFO's are common events for many. I have also seen some great magicians.
The saying, "don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see" is the best advise.
0 Replies

Glennn

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 04:50 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I said earlier that it appears that there may be a distinct difference in overt actions by God before and after Christ.

Yes you did say that. I then asked you to cite something to support what you said, and you have not done so.
Quote:
But even given events like the parting of the Red Sea, only a tiny percentage of people ever saw an event like that.

This isn't about percentages; it's about the free will principle. And parting the Red Sea would be, according to you, a violation of that principle.
Quote:
Why are there exceptions to the 'no proof' rule? I don't know

Agreed.
Quote:
free will is not the prime directive or object of this exercise.

Doesn't have to be the prime directive of the exercise to be a fact.
Leadfoot

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 05:35 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
@Leadfoot Quote:
"I said earlier that it appears that there may be a distinct difference in overt actions by God before and after Christ."

Yes you did say that. I then asked you to cite something to support what you said, and you have not done so.

Thought I did. But here it is if I forgot:
Before Christ - Civilization destroying flood, fire from above wiping out entire city, parting of Red Sea, Angels appearing to various people.

After Christ leaving - None of the above.

Seems different, no?

Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
"free will is not the prime directive or object of this exercise."

Doesn't have to be the prime directive of the exercise to be a fact.

Clarify this for me. Are you convinced of this fact yourself or are you arguing someone else's position?

If you are saying that free will means that no life will be allowed to be cut short, that would mean God would have to prevent all deaths not caused by old age.
Otherwise, if it is this absolute right to life principle, why should it only apply to the flood or other God initiated actions?

See discussion with CI for details.
cicerone imposter

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 05:39 pm
@Leadfoot,
All animal life forms must die, because this planet cannot handle unlimited increase in the animal world. God understands that, I'm sure.
I'm an atheist.
Leadfoot

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 05:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Right! Cycling through multiple generations also improves the odds for getting the results he wanted.
0 Replies

Glennn

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 05:52 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
After Christ leaving - None of the above.

I recall reading something about Jesus appearing to many after his death. That doesn't sound like miracle material to you? Regardless of that, we're still left with the fact that the flood and the parting of the Red Sea violated the principle of free will.
Quote:
Clarify this for me. Are you convinced of this fact yourself or are you arguing someone else's position?

I'm simply forcing you to confront the fact that the god violated the free will principle.
Quote:
If you are saying that free will means that no life will be allowed to be cut short, that would mean God would have to prevent all deaths not caused by old age.

I've said numerous times in this thread that I'm not talking about lives being cut short by virtue of human interactions and confrontations. I'm talking about the free will of humans being violated by virtue of the god's interference. Surely you see the difference.
cicerone imposter

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 06:01 pm
@Glennn,
Facts from the bible:
Quote:
The resurrection of Jesus is the Christian religious belief that, after being put to death, Jesus rose again from the dead. It is the central tenet of Christian theology and part of the Nicene Creed: "On the third day he rose again in accordance with the Scriptures".[1]

In the New Testament, after the Romans crucified Jesus, he was anointed and buried in a new tomb by Joseph of Arimathea but God raised him from the dead[2] and he appeared to many people over a span of forty days before he ascended into heaven, to sit at the right hand of God.[3]

[Mt 28:19]

Paul the Apostle declared that "Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures".(1 Corinthians 15:3–4) The chapter states that such a belief in both the death and resurrection of Christ is of central importance to the Christian faith: "And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain."(1 Cor 15:14)[4] Paul further asserted "And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied."(1 Cor 15:17–19)
neologist

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:52 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
The question is not who was responsible for the conditions leading up to the flood. The question is who was responsible for the flood. The god was responsible for the flood. So, your theory that the assurance that God will not interfere in our choices is essential to our quality of free will is proven invalid by virtue of the god's deadly response to the free will actions of the humans.
Like many, you would prefer choices to be free of consequence. You have free will to decide to jump off a cliff; but don't expect God to provide a soft landing. And, don't forget Noah spent a great deal of time warning his fellow humans.
cicerone imposter

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:56 pm
@neologist,
Your analogy about free will and jumping off a cliff stinks. Give it another try.
Glennn

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:08 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Like many, you would prefer choices to be free of consequence.

That's not the issue here, and you know it. I have made it abundantly clear to you that I'm talking about the god interfering in the free will choices of humans by parting the Red Sea and drowning humans with a flood because he didn't like their free will choices. You are the one who said that the lack of the god's interference is essential to our free will. So, here I have pointed out to you in no uncertain terms that the god interfered with the free will choices of humans.
Quote:
You have free will to decide to jump off a cliff; but don't expect God to provide a soft landing.

I never once said that I expect such a thing.
Quote:
Noah spent a great deal of time warning his fellow humans.

How does the fact that Noah warned others that the god is going to interfere in their free will choices support your position?
neologist

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Your analogy about free will and jumping off a cliff stinks. Give it another try.
Explain why you do not like the analogy. That should be fun.

I agree it is a reducto.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:11 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
I've said numerous times in this thread that I'm not talking about lives being cut short by virtue of human interactions and confrontations. I'm talking about the free will of humans being violated by virtue of the god's interference. Surely you see the difference.

It all boils down to what we define as free will. It seems you are choosing to define it more broadly than I do which I suppose is your free will right.

To put it as simply as is possible, free will is the freedom to choose what you believe. That was not interfered with.

Leadfoot

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:13 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
"After Christ leaving - None of the above."

I recall reading something about Jesus appearing to many after his death. That doesn't sound like miracle material to you?

Of course it does. But he had not left yet.
Glennn

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:15 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
To put it as simply as is possible, free will is the freedom to choose what you believe. That was not interfered with.

Not true. The humans who caused the god to regret his creation cannot be said to have had free will without interference from the god. The god violated their free will choice but terminating there lives.
Leadfoot

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:18 pm
@Glennn,
How so? They chose what to believe right up until they died, just like everyone else.
Glennn

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:22 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
They chose what to believe right up until they died, just like everyone else.

Sure, until the god took their right to continue exercising their free will away because it regretted its past action of creating them.
Leadfoot

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:24 pm
@Glennn,
I guess that's what being God allows you to do.
Glennn

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:27 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:

The god allows you to have your free will interfered with?
0 Replies

Glennn

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:37 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:

You mean being the god allows you to break your own rules concerning free will? Sounds like the god is a "do as I say, not as I do" kind of god.
cicerone imposter

Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:48 pm
@Glennn,
There's also "thou shalt not kill." Maybe, the world flood was symbolic only.