How to know the true God

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 04:14 pm
John 17:3 states that there is "the only true God". So there is only one true God and the others are false gods. How do we know that the god we worship is the true God or not? He must have the three following attributes:
1. Omnipotent - having all power; almighty
2. Omnipresent - present everywhere at the same time
3. Omniscient - knowing everything, including what happened in the past and knowing what will happen in the future.

If you were to worship a god, be sure that He is the true God.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 23,221 • Replies: 404
Topic Closed

Joe Nation

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 05:07 pm
@peacecrusader888,
Try to find the one who doesn't kill innocent people because they happened to be somewhere in creation.
Also, never speak to any god who would allow Acute lymphoblastic leukemia to exist.
It is simple cruelty for both the patient (aged 3-5) and their innocent parents.

Never pray to any god who is, or could be, angry. That's just stupid. He's a god.

Never listen to any god who advises you to take revenge. Must be some kind of passing energy, but certainly, not a god.

Here's something for you to try. You are actually alone in the universe without any protection from any supernatural beings which do not exist, so here's what you do:
Be truthful. (It will help with dealing with other humans)
Never take anything personally. (It's the other guy's problem)
Never assume too much. (you'll be mistaken every time)
and
Always do the best you can. (how simple is that)

You won't need any outside assistance in living your life if you do those four things.
Also fall in love with lots of people. It's good for you and it's good for them.
And be nice to everybody.

Joe (it will do you wonders)Nation
neologist

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 07:03 pm
@peacecrusader888,
Were the true God omniscient, then it follows that he knew in advance the sin of Adam and Eve and the 6000+/- years of misery that would follow. That would place the blame for the human condition on him.

Not my God.

Perhaps you have been Ama lgamated.
edgarblythe

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 07:16 pm
What a neat concept for a comic book hero. Truegod. He's a combination of Plastic Man, Superman, The Shadow and Wonder Woman.
neologist

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 07:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's a sign of our times, isn't it? The popularity of super heroes.

Go Flash Gordon! Go!
edgarblythe

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 07:27 pm
@neologist,
Humans are mythmakers. If they have none they believe in they create new ones.
Joe Nation

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 01:39 am
@edgarblythe,
I just wish they would create a myth worthy of belief.

Joe(the one they have now acts like a drunk)Nation
0 Replies

fresco

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 03:25 am
Unlike other soapbox preachers, this one uses 'copyright' as an attempt at establishing 'personal significance'. Smile
0 Replies

oristarA

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 06:32 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

You won't need any outside assistance in living your life if you do those four things.
Also fall in love with lots of people. It's good for you and it's good for them.
And be nice to everybody.

Joe (it will do you wonders)Nation

Things in reality are a bit more complicated, Joe. For instance, mao won the love of hundreds of millions of people on the planet, yet he's a monster.
0 Replies

oristarA

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 07:17 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Were the true God omniscient, then it follows that he knew in advance the sin of Adam and Eve and the 6000+/- years of misery that would follow. That would place the blame for the human condition on him.

Not my God.

Perhaps you have been Ama lgamated.

Eloquent, Neo.
0 Replies

fresco

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 10:16 am
@peacecrusader888,
Instead of this claptrap, why don't you tell us why the Liverpool (Australia) Federal Parliament rejected your 'perpetual calendar' (as 'inspired by God') in the 90's ? We could do with a bit of entertainment !
0 Replies

onevoice

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 12:24 pm
@neologist,
God, ya know neo, I never thought of it like that before. If God is omniscient He would then have known. I mean what kind of a "loving Father" would create His children knowing they would fail? Knowing they would hurt each other? Some would Kill each other? And eventually many would hate Him and blame Him for it all? What would even be the point?

Love actually.

No parent (normal... If that can even be applied in todays society.) has a child with the intentions of raising up a serial killer, a rapist, a thief, a heroine addict, an alcoholic, and so on. Don't we all want to do better for our children than was done for us? If not, at least as good. Certainly not less. We do the best we can with the tools we are given.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. So, the mother and father of a heroine addict that overdoses and dies, are they responsible for the death of their child? Say they did everything in their power, even took a second mortgage to pay the rehab bills, but on that last trip out of rehab, that fatal meeting with and "old friend"... that last dose... The temptation was just too great... And this time he/she just wasn't so lucky to be given one more chance... Is it really their fault?

Should we stand up and point at them and say, "You fools! You never should have brought them into this world!" Do you think this is what they wanted? What they would have chosen for their child? Now here's the real question:

Do you really think they loved them any less... Having watched them struggle, having reached out to help, having given everything they had to give?

This was their child.

Their child made their choices.

Yet, I dare say, despite the failures they still loved and wanted the best for their child. Even if their child failed to receive it.
neologist

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 12:45 pm
@onevoice,
The point I was hoping to make is that, although God has the power to anticipate the future in its entirety, he is under no obligation. Folks may read the last page of the whodunnit; but we are not compelled to do so. Would it profit authors to place denouement on page 1?

This assurance that God will not interfere in our choices is essential to our quality of free will, one of the traits by which we can rightfully claim to have been created "in God's image".
manden

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 02:03 pm
NOBODY OF YOU HAS AN IDEA !

YOU ARE ONLY CHATTERER !
neologist

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 02:18 pm
@manden,
What do you suggest we do?
And, if we listen to you, what will result?
Glennn

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 05:15 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
. . . though God has the power to anticipate the future in its entirety, he is under no obligation.

But I could have sworn that I've read scripture saying something to the effect that the god knows the end from the beginning, and not just the ability to anticipate the future. I couldn't find anything concerning the issue of obligation. Where can find that?
Quote:
Folks may read the last page of the whodunnit; but we are not compelled to do so. Would it profit authors to place denouement on page 1?

Folks cannot know the end from the beginning, but the god, being the author, does know.
Quote:
This assurance that God will not interfere in our choices is essential to our quality of free will . . .

How would the god's awareness of the knowledge of the end from the beginning interfere in our choices?
edgarblythe

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 05:22 pm
@manden,
manden wrote:

NOBODY OF YOU HAS AN IDEA !

YOU ARE ONLY CHATTERER !

0 Replies

ECCE HOMO

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 06:14 pm
@neologist,
Think without a concept and speak without a word...

I guess in that way you'll know the true God.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 09:13 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
. . . How would the god's awareness of the knowledge of the end from the beginning interfere in our choices?
Are you serious?
Your choices will be written in stone.
Glennn

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 09:29 pm
@neologist,
Yeah, I'm serious.

So, when the god says, "I make known the end from the beginning," that has nothing to do with foreknowledge?

If the god knows your thoughts before you think them, again, how does that interfere with our choices?

Also when you said ". . . though God has the power to anticipate the future in its entirety, he is under no obligation," I was serious when I asked where I could find anything concerning the issue of obligation.
0 Replies