How to know the true God

Glennn

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 09:50 pm
Quote:
What makes you suppose he knows the eventuality of us as individuals?

What make you think it doesn't?

Quote:
He knew from the beginning that many would eventually be faithful.

How did it know that?
Glennn

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 10:00 pm
@neologist,
I will assume that the only reference you have for this ". . . though God has the power to anticipate the future in its entirety, he is under no obligation," is your post.
0 Replies

Glennn

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 10:04 pm
@neologist,
As far as your idea of the god not wanting to interfere in our free will, I believe that wiping out humankind in a fit of rage when humans made it angry flies in the face of that conjecture.
neologist

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 10:14 pm
@Glennn,
I wrote:
What makes you suppose he knows the eventuality of us as individuals?
Glennn wrote:
What make you think it doesn't?
Your words. Not mine.
I wrote:
He knew from the beginning that many would eventually be faithful.
Glennn wrote:
How did it know that?
He said so, according to Paul. Ephesians 1: 4,5.
Glennn

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 10:25 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Your words. Not mine.

No, it was my question.
Quote:
He said so, according to Paul.

Paul said so? You are arbitrarily deciding for the god what its limitations are and are not. For instance, you have decided that it knew from the beginning that many would eventually be faithful. However, you have also decided that it does not know the eventuality of us as individuals. Then you made the point that the god doesn't want to interfere with our choices. I pointed out to you that wiping out mankind in a fit of rage because it didn't like what humans were doing was an interference with choices. So . . .

Plus, you come up with your own rationalization for inconsistencies in the narrative. ". . . although God has the power to anticipate the future in its entirety, he is under no obligation." You presume to speak for the god despite the fact that you are not the god.
peacecrusader888

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 10:27 pm
God is reducing people in this world. In about the year 2200, there will be very few people on this earth. Then He will return those that He "redeemed from the earth" (Revelation 14:3). For a thousand years, Satan will be imprisoned (Revelation 20:2) while the 144,000 redeemed will multiply. In "a little season", maybe year 3200-3700, Satan will be let loose (Revelation 20:2) to tempt the descendants (and the chosen). Then Judgment Day and the end of the world will come.

We can do what we would like to do in this world (free will), even denying Him, but come Judgment Day, God will settle account with us.
neologist

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 11:38 pm
@Glennn,
Sorry to have confused you.
I never said God would protect us from the consequence of our choices.
0 Replies

neologist

Tue 1 Mar, 2016 01:35 am
@Glennn,
I wrote:
Your words. Not mine.
Glennn wrote:
No, it was my question.
Based on your assertions here
and here
0 Replies

Glennn

Tue 1 Mar, 2016 08:01 am
@neologist,
The confusion lies in your failure to understand the implications of what you have written.
Quote:
The point I was hoping to make is that, although God has the power to anticipate the future in its entirety, he is under no obligation. Folks may read the last page of the whodunnit; but we are not compelled to do so. Would it profit authors to place denouement on page 1?

This assurance that God will not interfere in our choices is essential to our quality of free will,

I then rightly asked you how the god's choice to be aware of the knowledge of the end from the beginning would interfere in our choices? Still waiting for your answer to that.

I also asked you to point me to any reference from which you learned what you said concerning the obligation issue. Am I correct in assuming that that statement was based on your assumption concerning the mind of the god?
Glennn

Tue 1 Mar, 2016 08:28 am
@neologist,
I almost forgot to remind you of a point you forgot to respond to. So, I'll repeat it:

As far as your idea of the god not wanting to interfere in our free will, I believe that wiping out humankind in a fit of rage when humans made it angry flies in the face of that conjecture. Your thoughts?

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 1 Mar, 2016 09:12 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
Neo Quote:
"He knew from the beginning that many would eventually be faithful."

How did it know that?
Just playing the odds. Even God can roll the dice.
0 Replies

manden

Tue 1 Mar, 2016 12:54 pm
DECIDING IS , to recognize the EXISTENCE of the real creator of the

universe at his creation !

Till now the mankind was NOT ABLE to do that .

I could do it because of the grace of the true God against the mankind - his

child . But I cannot see how that can help this corrupt and blind mankind !
0 Replies

onevoice

Wed 2 Mar, 2016 08:31 am
@neologist,
Quote:
The point I was hoping to make is that, although God has the power to anticipate the future in its entirety, he is under no obligation.

I'm sorry neo, this just really feels like an incomplete sentence. He is under no obligation to what? To care?... To see?... To take action?
0 Replies

onevoice

Wed 2 Mar, 2016 08:43 am
@Glennn,
Glen we are wiping out ourselves. What? Do you think God was sitting on His throne one day, bored, so He thought, "Oh lookie there! It's the earth... Hmmm... I think I will poke a hole in the ozone layer just to spice things up a little!" (Meant as a joke, not sarcasm Smile ) If anything Him stepping in and ending it all abruptly would be a merciful act of saving us from ourselves.
onevoice

Wed 2 Mar, 2016 08:48 am
@peacecrusader888,
I find it interesting that you started this thread, yet have participated very little. I have a question for you peace crusader. It just keeps popping in my head every time I see your name.

How is there to be peace on earth when every man, woman, and child is at war with themselves?
ECCE HOMO

Thu 3 Mar, 2016 08:23 am
@manden,
" NOBODY HAS AN IDEA".

Because no one encounters God.
Knowing God is impossible, if anyone of us can know God it denies the effect of Adam and Eve's original sin. "the forbidden fruit".
Hence if 'we can' know God, it denies as well the perfection of God Himself, because we are imperfect.

IF WE CAN KNOW GOD,
THEN HE IS NOT A TRUE GOD.

0 Replies

ECCE HOMO

Thu 3 Mar, 2016 08:35 am
@peacecrusader888,
"Even denying Him"you said?
Even God can/will settle account with us when Judgement Day comes, we must not forget that God Himself is 'merciful and just'. He will give what is proper/due to us.
We have 'free will' and that is good but we must use it in a proper way.

Free will is not 'to do what we want' but rather 'what we ought to do'.
we must not commit sin again and again for the reason of confession.
peacecrusader888

Thu 3 Mar, 2016 08:49 am
@ECCE HOMO,
Yes, He is merciful and just. He knows if one is just playing with Him. If we confess our sins, it is an acknowledgement that we have offended Him. If we continue to re-offend and ask for forgiveness, then we are just playing with Him. And God knows that.
peacecrusader888

Thu 3 Mar, 2016 08:57 am
@onevoice,
We must understand that this world is a sieve, a testing ground. If we passed the test, then we can live with God forever in His kingdom. So bear the sufferings like what Jesus did when He was crucified. He demonstrated to us how to bear sufferings.
Leadfoot

Thu 3 Mar, 2016 08:57 am
@peacecrusader888,
If I bought your vision of God and Mankind, the idea that man could offend God is like saying an ant a thousand miles away could offend me when it does something wrong.