What do we win with Iraq?

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 04:56 am
Mamajuana - please don't tell me that US actions in Chile and Nicaragua are still represented as helping liberate people from opppressive regimes!!!!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 08:34 am
This of course has nothing to do with the discussion but it struck a chord'
TW said
Quote:
And as I recall Germany's "final solution" was also a "domestic" problem. That means what? That we should not have helped the Jews because they were German Jews?

We didn't raise a finger did we? In fact we did just the opposite. Remember the ship of refugees we sent to their deaths?
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 10:39 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I'm arguing against the dreamy notion that we can easily free a people.

Then you must have intended your argument for someone else, as I have never held nor expressed such a notion.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 11:23 am
Oil -- and control.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 02:57 pm
I agree, Craven. Six Iraqis does not a concensus of the population make.

But, it is more than 0.

Someone earlier on the thread said they would like to know what real Iraqis thought.

Well, I provided some. Take it or leave it.

If anyone else happens to run into interviews with other Iraqis ( those famous mall women), I'd appreciate a link. It has proven to be, for me, very interesting reading.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 03:21 pm
Lash - you're right, and I'll try to find the link. It was in an interview Thomas Friedman did for the New York Times a few weeks ago. Do you believe what you read in the NY TImes? I do not take as gospel everyting I read anywhere, and I pull up the Times of India, French papers, Spanish papers - many American papers. And then I try to balance out. So, the six one-way BBC interviews for me do not present a balanced view. To present a balanced interview, you get sixe people with different views. For heavens sakes, you can go to any isolated small town here in the States, ask some slanted questions, and get answers that are at variance with a lot of history that is actually happening. Remember, it was this same administration that tried (and has partly succeeded) in setting up a Department of Disinformation (under the same guy responsible for a lot of the same stuff in Nicagarua and Salvador, dlowan - John Poindexter), and tried to set up that department where everybody spies on each other.

We cross lines all the time - back and forth - in this kind of thing, and there is no right and there is no wrong. But some of us grow enough to resent and recognize being manipulated.

And back to my original question, what do we win with Iraq? Whatever it is, the value of it seems to be fading.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 03:26 pm
Damn, i hate it when i double post . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 03:27 pm
Afreesetofginzusteakknives!Butwaitthere'smorewitheveryorderapopielvegematic!
Nowhowmuchwouldyoupay?
Billionsweresuckeredat$19.95,butforalimitedelectorateonly,$9.95!(billion,perday,taxtitleandlicensenotincluded)
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 03:27 pm
We win the trifecta!
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 11:48 pm
This is CNN
Voice of America
NYT
WP
CSM