Freelance vs. The Man

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:15 pm
I have recently come to the conclusion that I really don't want to work for anybody but myself. I am in the graphic design field and have been considering freelance for some time now. I do like the structure of an agency along with all of the perks (insurance, 401k, other people to bounce ideas off of) but also like the freedom and satisfaction I get from freelance work (plus the pay has potential to be much better).

Has anyone else gone from corporate to freelance or vice versa?

Why?

What were the pros/cons?

Was it a good desicion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,303 • Replies: 12
No top replies

artboy

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 12:56 pm
HI folks. Smile

...First post here

As far as the question goes...I do both....Have been involved in the printing/graphic design field for 15+ years...I have been doing freelance work from home for the last 3 years Cool ....I still work 45+ hours a week at my present job. I oversee a mid size commercial printshop..and do ALL graphic design, layout, equipment procurement, material purchasing..etc... I usually retain most of the freelance work from contacts through my job. There is no conflict. I actually save many clients money by doing the graphic design work at home, then submitting all the element to the customer for them to decide where they wish to further produce there product...BUT..being that I also am the "MAN", where as commercial printing is involved...I usually reap the benefits of that also... Very Happy

It's a win-win for all involved.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 10:00 am
Hey Artboy... are you still around?

I just finished a freelance job and when the client got it back from the printer she was unhappy with the color.

It was a two color job using PMS 1815 and 454 (I think it was 454... I can't remeber off of the top of my head but it was a like khaki color like that).

This was the first time she had ever gotten anything printed professionally. I tried to expalin to her that the print outs I gave her were a bit darker and that the final version would be a little lighter in color.

Long story short, it was my mistake not having her sign off on the proofs and now she is unhappy saying that she was expecting something else and that the 454 color looks green. The printer did a real nice job on it and I think it looks great.

She is refusing to pay and the printer and her keep calling asking what to do. The only option I am getting from the printer is to reprint the piece but she is refusing to pay the bill.

What do you do in cases where the customer is unhappy?
I understand it wasn't exactly like she was expecting but the piece looks great.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 11:56 am
454 is not green, it is tan. But next to the dark red 1815, the contrast makes it look greener than it actually is. Did you show her color chips for the printing inks before it went to press? Or just an inkjet printout?

Yes, in the future you should always get the clients approval (at least initials) on a proof, but I always show them the color chips, too. Then if there is any discrepancy between the color chips and the final printing, it is clearly the printer's error.

Is the printer willing to do over? If so, I'd overcompensate for the contrast and choose a tan color that was a bit warm...perhaps 468?

Bottom line...you have to make the client happy. She can always refuse the print job. Did you accept delivery? If so, you're stuck with the bill yourself unless the printer agrees to a do-over.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 12:12 pm
Good advice from Eva. Learn from your mistakes. I'll bet you won't okay a print job without your clients' proof approval ever again, will ya?

I've gone from corporate to freelance to corporate and back to freelance. Love working from home. Do you have enough clients, or 'markers' at least, to start a freelance business? Many people make the mistake of jumping out here without enough business, enough contacts, referrels, a rolodex to choke a mule, etc. You need to have all of that before taking the plunge. Either that or one hell of a healthy bank account to keep you afloat until the work comes in.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 12:56 pm
No I didn't have a pantone book so didn't show her any chips... just the inkjet printout.

I stated in the contract that I would get her quotes for printing but that she was responsible for final printing decisions and costs. I was trying to establish a relationship with a new print rep so after she decided to use that printer I offered to drop off the files for her.

The printer shipped half of the finals to her and she has them but has refused the second half of delivery. The printer feels that they did a good job so are willing to reprint, but at the same price as the first printing.

It sounds like I'm going to lose out on this one... oh well, you live and learn.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 01:02 pm
eoe wrote:
Do you have enough clients, or 'markers' at least, to start a freelance business?

No, not enough clients yet. The ones I do have are pretty small time and wouldn't be enough to make a living off of.

I'm doing the corporate gig now and it is slowly driving me crazy... a standards book about 2 inches thick and no room for any creativity at all.

I feel like a shook up bottle of soda with the cap still on. I have all these great ideas stuck inside and no way to get them out. When I do have free time for myself, which is rarely, I am so tired that I don't even want to work for myself.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 01:03 pm
I work freelance as well, mind you, in cooking, not printing. There have been hiccups along the way. With an unsatisfied client, as your own boss, you just need to suck it up and learn from what went wrong. eoe also has great advice. I 'jumped in', and things were great for a good 3 years. Now I'm paddling like hell just to keep afloat. If I could have done things differently, it would have involved a contingency plan, financially.
0 Replies

artboy

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:47 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Hey Artboy... are you still around?

I just finished a freelance job and when the client got it back from the printer she was unhappy with the color.

It was a two color job using PMS 1815 and 454 (I think it was 454... I can't remeber off of the top of my head but it was a like khaki color like that).

I dont have my PMS book here at the house right now... and like whats been said I "think" its in the beige, tan area...

1st question......

What color was the stock? <<Big effect on overall printed "look"
remember art class....yellow ink on blue stock = green effect!
That always plays a huge part in the final printed piece.

Also, was the stock coated, uncoated, UV coated at production end?

Was your submitted artwork and copy renderd in CMYK or RGB?

RGB as you may know is no where near macth print quality. Rolling Eyes

many factors play into this..more info needed please????

However, if ya want another printer to do any future work, PM me...we may be small, but we do a huge amount of work...heheheh

drumming up bizness all the time!!! Laughing

Thx...

Artboy
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:39 pm
We used a coated house stock...white. No UV coating.

All images were duotones with a mix of both PMS colors.

Where is your business located? I'm always looking to expand my network of people that can help.
0 Replies

LittleOne

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 09:56 pm
I work freelance as well, in the film business. Now, the only stress is finding each job.

Mind you, there were many material sacrifices that were made to rid myself of the shackles of the 9-5 (which was actually 6am to ungodly times, if you even went home), but there isn't the 'soda bottle shaken up' feeling anymore.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:40 am
Hey LittleOne,

Welcome to A2K.

What do you do in the film business? I am making the assumption from the post above that you are happy with the decision you made?
0 Replies

LittleOne

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 04:26 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Hey LittleOne,

Welcome to A2K.

What do you do in the film business? I am making the assumption from the post above that you are happy with the decision you made?

Thanks for the welcome! You're right with your assumption. Even though I did very well for the corporate world, it felt empty to me. I know plenty of people who love those kinds of jobs, bless 'em, it's not for me.

I work on small independant features and shorts, as well as a music video here and a commercial there. I do whatever I get my hands on, but concentrate in the camera and art departments.
0 Replies