Shaq, Yao and Race

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 07:06 am
I hate the phrase 'political correctness'. To me it is a buzzword for liberal.

Shaq is a role model, as has been pointed out. Sports figures often say they don't want to be role models, but they still are. When anyone goes public, especially where they can be seen by millions of people, regardless of their station in life, damage is done. It does not always have polilitical implications, but it does touch our sensibilities as a society. Virtually everybody I personally know has a racist attitude. Most hide it well. But I have seen that children of varied races play well together and do not discriminate. It is only after they become tainted by the adults they begin to act out as racists. While I do recognize that man is a territorial animal, which makes him judge outsiders differently than his own, I believe outright racism is passed from generation to generation by example more so than instinct. I believe that we have evolved slightly higher than the cro-magnon and ought to behave like it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 11:07 am
Shaq's stupid, insensitrive remark should cause him more embarrassment than it is likely to. I would wager, not without a sense of National Embarrassment, that more Americans knew who Shaq is than knew who Lott is before HIS gaffe became a cause celebre. Those in the public eye bear a special responsibility, and among them perhaps sports super-heroes ought to be singled out for "Sensitivity Training". I'm no advocate of PC ('case you folks hadn't noticed), but I don't think that's the issue here. It is simple boorish, ignorant, callous disregard of human decency. Shaq will get away more or less clean ... we forgive our athletes far more readily than our politicians and our executives. This outrages me ... we pay the muscle-headed ones a lot more than we pay the ones who lead us, and as a nation, we know and care more about our sports figures than we do our leaders. Oh, well, I expect the average Roman was more familiar with the top gladiators of the day than with their Senators.

Lott was humiliated, and any further political aspirations he may have had were cancelled. Shaq will barely note a tad of inconvenience. Its a bummer, but good basketball players are harder to come by than are seasoned politicians, I suppose. Pity.

timber
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 01:54 pm
Timber, on this one we agree.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 02:10 pm
For some reason when John Rocker made his "insensitive" comments the whole country came down on him, even his own teammates; this in spite of his being a first class closer. Anyone have suggestions as to why?
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 02:40 pm
From edgarblythe's comments and plenty I have seen from PDiddie-- those of the liberal persuasion seem to be very concerned about 'buzzwords' and 'code words'. Another attempt to enforce a form of political correctness.

Not only aren't we supposed to say certain things, (which no one should say if they reveal a racist attitude, but the revelation is not the problem-- the underlying racism is) but now, when we speak of things that liberals think may lend itself to a thought they don't like, it is a buzzword or a code word.

This is very offensive to me. I will not allow someone else to tell me what I'm thinking. If you will notice, conservatives don't accuse of buzzwords and the like. Another diversionary liberal tactic, IMO.

Why don't you take someone's opinion at face value?

And I don't like PC... IMO, it is a public pressure not to say certain words. Look at the word "nigger'. Rude, yes. But, in league with the work F_ck? Hardly. But, you cannot print the word nigger in an article, even if you are quoting a person. As a matter of fact, it seems to have replaced Seven Words You Cannot Say... What about spick, hebe, cracker, redneck, limey, nazi, honkey, dego...

All are racial slurs, yet only one gets such prominence. PC SUCKS and places value judgements on certain words UNFAIRLY.

I found the word nigger distasteful long before PC. I lost friends when I stated this during 'jokes' and conversation. But, I will not be mandated from above on what I can say and what I can't. And the selectiveness in what is PC and what is not is group think, thought control and wrong.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 02:57 pm
Who is John Rocker?

The leadership role of sports stars seems finally to be being taken seriously in my country. A top cricketer has just been suspended for five matches (matches can last days in cricket) for something he said to a Sri Lankan player. He has, at least publicly, acknowledged the justness of this (it will be worth a lot of money to him, too) and his special role as an example to little kids -and big ones too.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 03:07 pm
John Rocker is a relief pitcher. At the time of his remarks, he was with the Atlanta Braves who were in competition with the N.Y. Mets. He made a comment about the passengers on the #7 train which is the train that serves Shea Stadium, home of the Mets. That train has a high percentage of Puerto Rican and Black passengers and everything exploded. He made some follow on remarks before giving a half hearted apology. He eventually got a very long suspension from the baseball commissioner.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 03:11 pm
I don't remember his exact remarks, but it effectively ended his career, IMO. Something about being grossed out by homos on the subway... Did he use the dread "N" word?

I remember thinking he was stupid, but they treated him like he was Hitler. (Do think NY being the main subject of his derision made it much bigger than it might have been.)

Thing is, he had previously had many black and brown friends, which makes the heart of racism harder to beleive...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 03:21 pm
Hmmmm - the man I spoke of said it TO an opposing player - and presumably ABOUT him.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 03:24 pm
You're right, Lash, his career started going downhill from that point. I don't remember the details either, but since he is (you'll pardon the non politically correct term) a stereotypical "redneck" he probably did use the dreaded word. Also, even though he reportedly had black friends, he was disliked by most of his teammates, black and white. Of course, winning was all.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 03:46 pm
I stick by my statement. I don't want to start a feud on here, but I do not intend to be muzzled either. Every time a conservative disagrees with a liberal the word political correctness pops out. Sorry if the thought offends, but that's the way I see it. Ps. You don't see me putting the f word on here either.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 04:11 pm
I'm just discovering this thread, and it touches a nerve with me. I'm African-American, and for years I have been inscensed by racism in my own people. Coincidentally, the most glaring personal examle to me, is when I would be sitting in a chinese take-out restaurant, and see young blacks harrassing and degrading the chinese, who owned and worked in the place. this hurt me because I felt we were in danger of becoming the people we hated . It does me good to hear you an apparently younger man with these feelings. I came of age in the 60's, in the conservative city of St. Louis. I have been through the wars. I have physical, and emotional battle scars, but before I could turn into a racsist, someone white always came along and touched my heart. Plus I waas raised to take each person one on one. And this, Snood is part of our solution, teachiing our children.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 04:32 pm
Thanks, Booman - and in case you're wondering, I'm in my 40's.

I agree that the right whips out the term "PC" at the drop of a hat. It's my considered belief that this is a term coined by those who bewail the shrinking of the size of the comfort zone from which they could be rude or racist. In fact, if we were a people who practiced common courtesy as a rule, that term need never have been produced as a facade for their ugliness.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 04:34 pm
Quothe Booman; "African-American"

And Asian-American and Hispanic-American and Native-American and all the rest of the Prefixed, Hyphenated-Americans. The problem will remain so long as do the prefixes and the hyphens.
I fervently wish we someday come to the realization that we all are just, plain, simple, depending-on-on-another AMERICANS.

timber
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 04:43 pm
Yeah timber.....we can only dream of that time when everyone's race will be called "human".

Just about like I guessed Snood, a few years behind me, "Youngblood". :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 04:46 pm
snood wrote:
It's my considered belief that this is a term coined by those who bewail the shrinking of the size of the comfort zone from which they could be rude or racist. In fact, if we were a people who practiced common courtesy as a rule, that term need never have been produced as a facade for their ugliness.

[nodding]
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 04:58 pm
sozobe wrote:
snood wrote:
It's my considered belief that this is a term coined by those who bewail the shrinking of the size of the comfort zone from which they could be rude or racist. In fact, if we were a people who practiced common courtesy as a rule, that term need never have been produced as a facade for their ugliness.

[nodding]

I agree with the last sentence: If we all treated one another with decency, PC would probably not have reared it's lame head.

However, the "term was coined" by the media elite, who take it as their collective responsibility to tell the country what it right and wrong. Republicans nor conservatives thpought that mother up.

edgarblythe-- Don't EVER stop sharing your views, whether they jive with the majority or the minority or no one. None of us would learn anything from the other if we all practiced groupthink.

Read snood and booman with great appreciation.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 04:59 pm
John Rocker's comments were bigotry exemplified relative to homosexuals as well as people of color: "who wants to sit (on a subway in NY) next to some queer with AIDS?" is one enlightened snippet I recollect he uttered.

For the record, John Rocker's career ended because he couldn't get batters out.

Lash: Judging solely from your contributions here, I doubt whether anyone has ever been even slightly successful in telling you what to think.

I think you should just go right ahead and say whatever you feel, and the heck with what anybody thinks about it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 05:03 pm
Thanks for reminding us about John Rocker, PDiddie. I had forgotten who he was, but not the man or the comments.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 05:03 pm
Aww shucks Lash... Embarrassed
0 Replies