Poppy Bush Bailed?

Redheat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:52 am
Quote:
Chester Mierzejewski, an old war buddy of Bush, who said he was angered by the "false assertions" made by candidate Bush when describing the incident, gave a different account.

After 44 years of silence, Mierzejewski, who also was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, told the New York Post that Bush had abandoned his crew to death when there was another choice.

He said he was approximately 100 feet in front of Bush's plane as the turret gunner for Squadron Commander Douglas Melvin's plane, "so close he could see in the cockpit" of Bush's bomber. Mierzejewski's close wartime buddy was one of the two crew members in Bush's plane.

According to Mierzejewski, the squadron was in a tight-formation bombing raid against a Japanese radio installation on an island reported to be heavily fortified. He saw "a puff of smoke" come from Bush's plane which quickly disappeared and was certain only one man parachuted from the plane and that it was Bush, the pilot.

Mierzejewski said the Avenger torpedo bomber was engineered so that it could successfully crash land on water and that Bush doomed his own crew by bailing out and leaving the bomber out of control.

Other World War II veterans also expressed concern about Bush parachuting out of the aircraft. "He had a moral obligation to put that plane in the water in an emergency landing," Robert Flood, a former B-17 bombardier told the press. "He violated the primary rule for a captain of a multi-crew aircraft: The pilot never leaves the airplane with anybody in it."

Pete Brandon, a Marine Corps Avenger pilot, who also served in the South Pacific, said an Avenger pilot had two choices: Set the plane down in the water or hold it steady until the two crewmen could prepare to jump.

"In an Avenger, only the pilot wore a parachute," Brandon said. "The two crewmen wore harnesses. If the order came to bail out, they had to take chest parachutes from a shelf and strap them on - and bail out. The Avenger was very unstable. The pilot had to be at the controls the whole time or it would go right over on its back."

Source

Amazing isn't it? GWB avoids going to war and then goes AWOL but feels he can be apart of smearing Kerry's war record. The Republicans went after Clinton for "draft dodging" while several of their own avoided going.

Now it turns out that Bush Sr.'s WW2 record has some questions, but did the Democrats use this against him when he ran against Clinton? NO

Tell me again about those higher morals the Republicans have I just love tales of fiction.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,286 • Replies: 10
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:55 am
It wasn't for lack of trying though. It turned out that there was nothing to it and that Bush wasn't trying to run solely based on his military service.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:34 am
Calling George H.W. Bush's military record into question is, in my opinion, reprehensible. He volunteered for duty in an extremely dangerous branch of the service, he served with bravery and distinction, and his heroism was acknowledged by his comrades, his superiors, and his nation.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:44 am
This to me is getting out of hand. I have read enough about this incident to conclude that Bush Sr did all he could for his buddies. His regret has haunted him for nigh on 60 years. R.I.P.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:54 am
Smear, smear that is the way of politics. The hell with all the smears it is time for political campaigns to deal with the present and the future.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:32 am
Hear , Hear! This pissing contest about war records obscures the real issues.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 12:38 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Calling George H.W. Bush's military record into question is, in my opinion, reprehensible. He volunteered for duty in an extremely dangerous branch of the service, he served with bravery and distinction, and his heroism was acknowledged by his comrades, his superiors, and his nation.

Agreed, that was my point. The fact is that the Democrats DIDN'T use Bush's questioned record while his son does.

I would think that the Republicans would be ashamed given the fact that they treaded where Democrats didn't.

Either you support bringing these kinds of smears into a campaign (which I don't) or you don't. I'm tired of the right wing wanting to have it both ways which is why I posted this.

Really people sometimes you need to look past what's right there and see the underlying point.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 01:19 pm
Someone brought up this crap about Bush, although not the trumped-up Mierzejewski story, here once before. I was outraged, as i have already researched the story. But, i went out then, and did the research again, and came to the same conclusion. I castigated the person initiating the thread for slandering Pappy Bush. I consider the Mierzejewski story to be libellous, and it is not supported by any of the other aircrew from San Jacinto which flew that mission that day. If the Democrats had actually contemplated using this canard, i suspect they abandoned it because a little simple research shows it to be purest horseshit.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 01:23 pm
Redheat, I think you're personalizing my statement. You made your thoughts very succintly and clearly.I agree with you.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 01:47 pm
LOL, the libs are all for freedom of speech, as long as it isn't Kerrys war comrades telling it like it is.

If Bush Sr. runs for office again, his war record should be examined, especially if 200 people he served with call him a liar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 05:38 pm
I don't understand taking a person to task for doing as the nation demanded of him in time of war just to score political points. Kerry and Bush did their duty. Nuff said.
0 Replies