The partisan peril

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 06:48 am
The partisan peril
-Dick Morris

It is hard to believe, but recent polling by the Fox News Channel suggests that more than a third of American voters believe that the Bush administration is manipulating the terror warnings for political advantage. This ridiculous suspicion is the Democratic equivalent of those Republicans who labeled Bill Clinton's rocket attacks in Afghanistan in the hopes of killing Osama bin Laden a wagging of the dog.

America is not helped, and is badly hurt, when our partisans do not observe common sense and the paramount necessity of defending the national interest in their political rhetoric. Words have consequences, and the excessive Democratic partisanship now - like the vitriolic Republican partisanship in the Clinton years - harms the national interest in clear and apparent ways.

Besieged by critics who claimed that it was raising the terror threat to staunch Kerry's momentum as he emerged from his convention, the Bush people felt obliged to release the fact that the British and Pakistanis had arrested al-Qaida computer guru Mohammed Nasin Noor Khan in Pakistan on July 13.

This unfortunate release of information reportedly crippled ongoing British efforts to use Khan - or at least his computer and e-mail - to communicate with, and therefore identify, his al-Qaida colleagues.

Once the terrorists read in the newspaper or saw on CNN that Khan was in Western custody, his usefulness to our intelligence services was fatally compromised. One British intelligence figure explained, in classic understatement, "It made our task more difficult."

Why did the Bush administration feel obliged to reveal the source of the intelligence that impelled it to ratchet up the terror alert? Because the Michael Moores of the world would not respect the terror warning without proof - even if this evidence compromised efforts to get more intelligence.

Faced with the necessity of curtailing access to several key buildings in American and British cities, the administration could not just act, it had to explain why it was acting and reveal the secret of how it found out the terror plans.

This tragedy has its precedent in the loud cries of the Republican partisans that Clinton was manipulating foreign policy to distract attention from his impending grand jury testimony by launching missile strikes in Sudan and Afghanistan.

We now understand how important it was to try to kill bin Laden. Ever so politely, the 9-11 commission has bemoaned Clinton's failure to approve other military operations that had a chance to kill the terrorist leader.

But could Clinton have done so? Could he have sent U.S. troops to Afghanistan to find bin Laden while he was on the impeachment griddle? As a practical matter, he could not. The Republicans were so suspicious of even the limited steps he did take that they persuaded many Americans that he was intervening to save his skin from the accusations related to impeachment.

Both then and now, partisans do a disservice to the American people.

Having worked at the White House, I know the obvious: That it is totally impossible to do something as public as raise a terror alert just for political purposes. Too many people are involved, and the circle of information is held too widely to get the kind of complicity necessary for so partisan a step. The newspapers would soon find out the alert had no basis in intelligence and the resulting outcry would dwarf any which we have heard thus far.

If raising the terror alert helped Bush's chances in November, it is because we do, in fact, live in a dangerous world and that if people trust Bush better to handle it, then they should vote for him. This political reality, not any artifice on the part of the administration, is what is at work in the days after the Democratic convention.

link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,463 • Replies: 22
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 06:53 am
This is great. A partisan article about the evils of going partisan.

You first!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 06:56 am
damn, here I was thinking "partisan peril" was some kind of cheese we needed to watchout for.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 10:09 am
Has Bush and Co. raised the terror alert for political reasons. In a word yes. His entire campaign and claim to fame is based on his contention that he is better able to fight terrorism than Kerry. In order to make that point he [his CO conspirators] have on what seems to be a regular basis issued alerts.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 10:38 am
farmerman wrote:
This is great. A partisan article about the evils of going partisan.

Funny... I read the article and noted Morris pointing out the problems with Republicans and Democrats putting politics above the national interests, which seems to me even-handed and non-partisan, so when I note that someone else who has (in theory, at least) read the same article and that person refers to the article as being "partisan", I am forced to assume that the other reader is so partisan that he can't recognize a non-partisan statement or position when presented with one.

For my money, Morris is dead on here: many conservatives were too willing to use ANYTHING to hurt Clinton regardless of the real consequences to the nation, and many liberals are at least equally willing to use ANYTHING to savage Bush without the most cursory consideration given to the possible consequences of doing so.

But I'm sure some here will think THAT a "partisan" point of view. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 10:59 am
folks is it too much to consider that many people based on there own interpretations and beliefs of current events, believe that bushinc is manipulating the terrorist threat for political gain?

I for one need nothing more than my own senses to draw that conclusion.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:12 am
Re: The partisan peril
Dick Morris wrote:
It is hard to believe, but recent polling by the Fox News Channel suggests that more than a third of American voters believe that the Bush administration is manipulating the terror warnings for political advantage.

Yeah, it's hard to believe that it's that low, especially when Tom Ridge, in recently announcing the heightened alert status, said: "But we must understand that the kind of information available to us today is the result of the President's leadership in the war against terror." Nothing like getting a plug in for the boss while scaring the bejeezus out of the country.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:18 am
It's also on four year old information and very questionable new intelligence that they are basing this new scare tactic. What took so long and what could they possibly gain by deciding that now is the time to let al-Queda know we have intelligence? You don't suppose they're confident we don't have a clue? Breach of national security -- now where have I heard that ploy before?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:24 am
Hey, but, prosperity, peace (actually winning the war in Iraq), and the routing out of all terrorists is "just around the corner." That's what Herbert Hoover kept saying and is nearly a synonym to "mission accomplished."
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:32 am
LW
Bush is no longer using the wording just around the corner. The last president to use that phrase was Herbert Hoover. His corner turned was to the great depression. Is there anything more degrading and disgusting than the current political climate?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:46 am
Quote:
For my money, Morris is dead on here: many conservatives were too willing to use ANYTHING to hurt Clinton regardless of the real consequences to the nation, and many liberals are at least equally willing to use ANYTHING to savage Bush without the most cursory consideration given to the possible consequences of doing so.

I only halfway agree. This political pressure on Bush is not coming from a Democrat controlled Congress. And it's kind of lame to say "look what you made me do!" regarding releasing the info on Khan. Yes there is pressure on Bush, but if that pressure made him mess up (and that conclusion is a bit of a leap) then that's still his screwup.

But I do agree that these two parties are so concerned with getting control an fighting each other that they don't often consider what is actually right for the country.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:49 am
au1929 wrote:
LW
Bush is no longer using the wording just around the corner. The last president to use that phrase was Herbert Hoover. His corner turned was to the great depression. Is there anything more degrading and disgusting than the current political climate?

" Because we acted, our economy since last summer has grown at a rate as fast as any in nearly 20 years. Because we acted, America has added more than 1.5 million new jobs since last August. (Applause.) Because we acted, Iowa has added more than 11,000 jobs over the past year. Because we acted, Iowa's unemployment rate now is 4.3 percent. (Applause.) When it comes to creating jobs for American workers, we are turning the corner and we're not going back. (Applause.)"

Bush speech in Davenport, IA, Aug. 4, 2004
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:56 am
It's going to haunt him like "mission accomplished," and how I am seeing his stubbornness flaunted at the public again. He doesn't want to "jeapordize the mission" in Iraq by making even the slightest adjustment to a failing strategy. He doesn't have to use those phrases -- they're emblazoned on his forehead. The "Access of Evil" is this administration's bane. Oh, I'm sorry -- I guess that was "Axis of Evil" as in the WWII "Axis." The administration's foreign policy is certainly asymmetric and that's a euphemism for lopsided.

You know, he's run out of room on his forehead so any more insipid platitudes will have to be tattooed on his butt and who's he going to moon? His own constituents.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 12:04 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

As I've noted before, many others require more than a cursory check with their own bias as evidence that something is either likely or true.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 12:06 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
But I do agree that these two parties are so concerned with getting control an fighting each other that they don't often consider what is actually right for the country.

Then I'll offer a "hear, hear!" on that point of agreement. Cool
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 12:36 pm
Scrat wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

As I've noted before, many others require more than a cursory check with their own bias as evidence that something is either likely or true.

I'm pretty sure I did not indicate that I give issues only a cursory glance old buddy, but nice try. I can however, carefully look at both sides of an issue and draw my own conclusions, as many many other people can and do. It's just that simple, and I don't understand why some have such a hard time accepting that.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 01:00 pm
Perhaps you just need to be more discerning as to what you present to "your own senses" then, because there is simply nothing to which a rational person can point in support of the notion that the threat level has ever been used to mislead people as you claim to "know" it has.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 02:46 pm
Richard Schwartz
Daily News columnist
Terror geek leak was a major blunder
I hereby nominate Bob Woodward to be the new CIA chief. He has the key credential needed in the war on terror: Keeping secrets. It has been nearly a third of a century since he and his partner, Carl Bernstein, broke the Watergate story with a critical assist from their White House mole, Deep Throat. Only Woodward knew Deep Throat's identity then. Only Woodward knows it today.Instead, we're getting a politician to run the Central Intelligence Agency - eight-term Florida Rep. Porter Goss. The last thing we need is more politicos involved in the war on terror. It was politics, after all, that clouded the Bush administration's judgment so badly last week that it leaked the capture of Al Qaeda computer whiz Muhammad Naeem Noor Khan.

Khan, in custody without Al Qaeda's knowledge, had become an accommodating mole, continuing to communicate via E-mail with other unsuspecting ghouls around the globe. With Khan, the terror mother ship that we had for years been unable to penetrate might have broken wide open. He might even have led us to Osama Bin Laden. But the Bushies blinked.

Worried that three days after the Democratic convention, voters might deem the Aug. 1 terror alert political, they foolishly - and unforgivably - overcompensated, dumping every piece of intel they could into the public maw, including Khan's capture. Their message: "We're not making this stuff up. We've got this guy named Khan, and if only you could see what's on his computer."

His hard drive contained a treasure-trove of surveillance data on the New York Stock Exchange, the Citigroup Center and other possible terror targets.

That release of sensitive intel sure caught our allies by surprise. British police had to hastily roll up a dozen suspected terrorists that they had been tracking through Khan. Pakistani spooks now saw their chances of nabbing Bin Laden slip away. Both nations were dismayed that the Yanks had unmasked the super spy.

What else would you expect from this gang that cannot spy straight? For this White House, it seems, protecting the President's political skin trumps destroying Al Qaeda.

You want to be in the hero business, safeguarding America? Then be ready for people to misconstrue your motives. All we needed to know was there's a terror alert that the government claims it can back up with solid intel. That's it. If people want to question the President's motives, too bad for the President. Unfortunately, his team, including Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge (a former governor) and Attorney General John Ashcroft (a former senator) and Vice President Cheney (a former six-term congressman), decided to give up critical intel so their man wouldn't look political.

"This has the possibility of being one of the worst leaks committed in the post-Cold War era," said Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), who has demanded the White House hand over the leaker.

Once the Bushies respond, which they must, the question will be: Is this a fireable, imprisonable or impeachable offense? The answer will depend on the circumstances and culprits. But an investigation must commence.

The nearer-term question is: Does this caper deserve a "-gate"? Geekgate? Most definitely.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 04:12 pm
Scrat wrote:
Perhaps you just need to be more discerning as to what you present to "your own senses" then, because there is simply nothing to which a rational person can point in support of the notion that the threat level has ever been used to mislead people as you claim to "know" it has.

sigh.....what's the point in talking?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 04:21 pm
Au that post was chilling.
0 Replies