Justice Anton Scalia Reportedly Found Dead At Texas Resort

blatham

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 02:45 am
New York Times editorial this morning gets pretty much everything exactly right. As always, I'll just put in a teaser here but do read the whole editorial (not long) as it is exceptionally good.

Quote:
Senate Republicans Lose Their Minds on a Supreme Court Seat

Following the death of Justice Antonin Scalia, Senate Republicans apparently believe they can profit by creating a political crisis that the nation has never seen before. On Tuesday, the leadership doubled down on its refusal to take any action on any nominee from President Obama to replace Justice Scalia.

Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the majority leader who seems to have lost touch with reality and the Constitution, accused Mr. Obama of plunging the nation into a “bitter and avoidable struggle” should he name anyone to the court.
http://nyti.ms/1R3s255
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 06:46 am
Justice Scalia Spent His Last Hours With Members Of This Secretive Society Of Elite Hunters
Source: Washington Post

By Amy Brittain and Sari Horwitz February 24 at 7:37 PM

When Justice Antonin Scalia died 12 days ago at a West Texas ranch, he was among high-ranking members of an exclusive fraternity for hunters called the International Order of St. Hubertus, an Austrian society that dates back to the 1600s.

After Scalia’s death Feb. 13, the names of the 35 other guests at the remote resort, along with details about Scalia’s connection to the hunters, have remained largely unknown. A review of public records shows that some of the men who were with Scalia at the ranch are connected through the International Order of St. Hubertus, whose members gathered at least once before at the same ranch for a celebratory weekend.

Members of the worldwide, male-only society wear dark-green robes emblazoned with a large cross and the motto “Deum Diligite Animalia Diligentes,” which means “Honoring God by honoring His creatures,” according to the group’s website. Some hold titles, such as Grand Master, Prior and Knight Grand Officer. The Order’s name is in honor of Hubert, the patron saint of hunters and fishermen.

Cibolo Creek Ranch owner John Poindexter and C. Allen Foster, a prominent Washington lawyer who traveled to the ranch with Scalia by private plane, hold leadership positions within the Order. It is unclear what, if any, official association Scalia had with the group.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/justice-scalia-spent-his-last-hours-with-members-of-this-secretive-society-of-elite-hunters/2016/02/24/1d77af38-db20-11e5-891a-4ed04f4213e8_story.html
revelette2

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 07:28 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Not to nickpick, but other than being a little odd to say the least, what is the big deal? I mean they just hunt don't they? I had no respect for Scalia's views though I know he was smart, but I don't see a need to needlessly kick a dead man. I always thought the Shriners were an odd little group as well with their little hats and all, I guess some men just like to play dress up with other men.
revelette2

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 07:31 am
@blatham,
I don't exactly wish death upon Mitch McConnell, but man, I wish he would soon get tired of being senator or at least Kentuckians get a little wiser.
Miller

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 07:36 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Boston TV news reported that the Justice was found dead in his bed with his head in a pillow case ( or, perhaps with his head covered by a pillow case).

He was the only man who didn't bring his wife.

I suspect, that more details of the whole incident will appear in the future.

It was a good idea by the family to avoid an autopsy.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 07:07 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
Not to nickpick, but other than being a little odd to say the least, what is the big deal?

Right. Nothing in there that has any significance I can discern. It's interesting, in a sociological way - why do males so commonly tend to gravitate to groups like this one? Secretive, exclusive, ritualized. So far as I can tell, women don't do this, or at least far more rarely (outside of sororities, I can't think of any examples). That seems a damned interesting puzzle but otherwise, it looks benign.

Of course, there's a long history of suspicion of such exclusive and secretive groups but that seems to me a function of class resentment and a lot of paranoia.
blatham

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 07:14 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
I don't exactly wish death upon Mitch McConnell, but man, I wish he would soon get tired of being senator or at least Kentuckians get a little wiser.

As Joe pointed out, even atheists such as himself, myself and Antonio Salieri acknowledge the existence of miracles in the world.

But yeah, the guy needs to either disappear or work very much harder at being a worthwhile human being.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 08:02 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
I mean they just hunt don't they?

we don't know
we don't know of any business interests his host or other guests had
we don't know of any legal interests his host or other guests had

I'm sure multiple someones are checking it out
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 08:03 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
I always thought the Shriners were an odd little group as well with their little hats and all, I guess some men just like to play dress up with other men.

they're in/famous for supporting each others businesses
McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 09:08 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

revelette2 wrote:
I always thought the Shriners were an odd little group as well with their little hats and all, I guess some men just like to play dress up with other men.

they're in/famous for supporting each others businesses

That's all that comes to mind when you think of the Shriner's? Though I have no idea how the Shriner's came up when talking about The International Order of St. Hubertus.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 09:14 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Not to nickpick, but other than being a little odd to say the least, what is the big deal?

Right. Nothing in there that has any significance I can discern. It's interesting, in a sociological way - why do males so commonly tend to gravitate to groups like this one? Secretive, exclusive, ritualized. So far as I can tell, women don't do this, or at least far more rarely (outside of sororities, I can't think of any examples). That seems a damned interesting puzzle but otherwise, it looks benign.

Of course, there's a long history of suspicion of such exclusive and secretive groups but that seems to me a function of class resentment and a lot of paranoia.

Maybe they want to do more with their lives then trade gossip on the internet with strangers? Living in the basement huddled in the warm glow of their monitors doesn't appeal to a lot of people so they do things like hunt and hang out with actual people who have similar interests.

I am sure you can't understand that.

blatham

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 06:52 am
@McGentrix,
You're actualized. I can sense that, McG.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 07:15 am
@McGentrix,
Actually I am usually in my living room surrounded by my grandchildren or in bed. I look at it as an outlet to express my viewpoints avoiding getting into touchy points with family and friends. They all know I do it, every once in a while when a big issue comes up they'll ask if I know about it knowing that I keep up with all this sort of thing. I think that part about people being in basements, according to some real detective shows, those people are internet predators.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 07:40 am
@McGentrix,
I just want to add that the International Order of St. Hubertus was founded by a guy from here, being a high ranking 'civil servant' in the Austrian Empire at that time.

The order is indeed relatively exclusive.

However, members are a kind 'eco-hunters': no trophies, no hunting in game reserves, ethical responsibility for animals and forests ... ... ...
Their archive and public museum is in a privately owned ['honorary general consul of Ghana'] castle nearby.

(The founder of the order, General Spork, is well-known in my native town due to a song (in low German), which every child had to learn school: General Spork Lied [something for hamgurger Wink ])
revelette2

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 07:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Do they actually hunt in their dark green robes? What are all the dressing up about and the titles?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 07:46 am
@ehBeth,
http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 07:47 am
@revelette2,
No - that's just there 'official dress'. It's a knight order, like Malteser's, St. John's etc, just funded more recently.
revelette2

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 08:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm trying to picture the ceremonies in my mind, dressing up in green robes playing at being knights (crusader knights or knight Templers?), you got to admit, women don't do these things.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 08:47 am
@revelette2,
http://i66.tinypic.com/519dsi.jpg

Some of the higher ranks (the priest in the centre is in 'civil' life a dean in the Austrian army, with the rank of colonel).
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 09:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There's an older report in the Houston Culture Map about a hunt (in 2010) by the Houston chapter of the International Order of St. Hubertus at Cibolo Creek Ranch.

0 Replies